cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get a second credit card I don't need just to increase credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I get a second credit card I don't need just to increase credit score?

Hi Forum, totally new here, please don't kick my butt too hard.

Foreign national here without US income and living overseas with 2 years old Citi transactional account, Citi Premier CC which I got less than 2 years ago with $10K limit out of which I spend $2-5 montly and about a year old Capital One 360 Checking debit account where I parked few dollars just to keep account active. CreditWise is 743 (up from 739 when I opened account with Capital One) and FICO is 755 (up from 743 when I opened my Citi CC). As I mentioned before I don't have any income or bills to pay in US and don't have any other loans so credit card spending is the only thing that impacts my credit score, it dipped about 80 points when I stopped using Citi CC and jumped back up 85 points next month after I spent $1.35.

It seems that I've hit ceiling with credit score and need do something else to raise it further. Capital One offered no annual fee Platinum card recently, which I dont really need but was wondering if getting second card and spending few dollars here and there could increase score?

Thank you in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I get a second credit card I don't need just to increase credit score?

3-5 cards gets you more pts than 1, so I suppose it'd be good

The Cap1 Platinum card doesn't really have any benefits, though, so maybe look elsewhere if you care about that

Amex is good, and you can do Global Transfer with them to get an Amex card in another (maybe home) country, by using your U.S relationship or vice versa

Message 2 of 3
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I get a second credit card I don't need just to increase credit score?

Having 3 credit cards and 1 installment loan will maximize your credit mix. Best FICO score potential. Read up on SSL, or Shared Secured Loans for installment. Since your not currently in the country.

The Share Secured Technique 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.