Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get more cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I get more cards?

My scores are in my siggy. My inquiries are TU 5, EX 3, EQ 4. One of the negatives for my scores is that I don't have enough cards. I have 4. All are in good standing at about 16%  util. Should I go ahead and get a few more cards? I don't want to do myself harm.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I get more cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores are in my siggy. My inquiries are TU 5, EX 3, EQ 4. One of the negatives for my scores is that I don't have enough cards. I have 4. All are in good standing at about 16%  util. Should I go ahead and get a few more cards? I don't want to do myself harm.

You do have enough cards.  4 solid credit cards is good enough for FICO scoring purposes.  Who is tell you it is a negative? If you don't have a need for any new cards then don't get any.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It all depends on you and how you feel about adding more credit.  There's still many more to choose from.  They make good buffers to keep UT low but you need to use them.  I'm still testing a few out.  Not sure if they will stay or go.  And hoping Cap One will finally let us combine accounts.  No sense in having 4 when 2 work.  You're good with Cap One & NFCU.  There's Barclay's, Chase, Citi, etc.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 14
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't IMO. I would just keep what you have, let them age and let those inquiries fall off. This should start bringing all of your scores up above 700 and possibly into the mid 700's
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I pulled my credit report that's where I saw that it was a negative that I only have four. I'd like more to buffer utilization.
Message 5 of 14
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
When I pulled my credit report that's where I saw that it was a negative that I only have four. I'd like more to buffer utilization.

Where did you pull your credit that it told you that you had too few cards?

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a quick suggestion, I think I have enough cards and still get that "recommendation" every time I pull a report and I take it with a pinch of salt.  That being said, do you have any baddies on your report and what cards do you really want and feel will be beneficial to you based on your spending habits?

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditcaretotal.com
Message 8 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Creditcaretotal.com

Check spelling? Not a website.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Creditcaretotal.com

I googled and didn't get what you posted.  But I got creditchecktotal.com. Is that where you got it from?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.