cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I join Penfed for their credit cards?

tag
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

Should I join Penfed for their credit cards?

I've been reading the penfed thread and it makes me want to join them just for their credit cards. Should I join them for that purpose ? I am currently banking with a credit union in my area.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I join Penfed for their credit cards?

If one or more of their ccs really appeals,not much harm in joining and apping (Just HPs).  They have at least one best-in-class card (the Cash Rewards one)

Message 2 of 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

They also have great auto loan rates. Just an overall good CU to join.
Message 3 of 8
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

I am currently with a CU - have an auto loan with them at 2.48%. Not sure if I want to refinance it with Penfed but for sure, I love their credit cards though based on the posts from here.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My buddy joined because he wanted a good auto rate loan so there's no harm in becoming a member for a single product.
Message 5 of 8
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I'd say a good number of people simply join for their credit cards or other loan products, not because their excited about their checking and savings offers, so I'd say it's perfectly fine. Besides I'm sure PenFed knows this too.

Message 6 of 8
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

Maybe you guys can help me decide....

Here is my stats: Bk back in 2010 and no baddies or others deg. since BK - so basically, my report is clean except the BK.

Currently holding: Barclays Arrival+ 10k Limit, Discover 13.5k, Capital One Venture One 15k, Fidelity Visa 5k and Jcrew 21k limit. Utilization is about 15% and is working on paying off - paid 10k toward debt already and should be able to pay off the remaining balance  (on Cap One and Discover, both 0%) on my Cap one and Discover account within the nexdt 2 months.

Since Barclays is charging an annual fee, i am thinking of cutting Barclays and also the Fidelity Visa. So i think i'll have room for 1-2 more cards.

I did some research about the Reward card with PenFed, i like them for the low APR (compared to Arrival+) and as well as the no foreign fee. I travel to the south east asian countries at least a month every year. Zero foreign transaction fee will come in handy when i do the traveling. 

So, given what i have now. Should I sign up with PenFed and hopefully get their Visa card? 

According to myfico.com, i have subscription and my Equifax is the highest. Fico Score 8 is 693, Fico Bank Card Score 5 and 8 are 711, Fico 9 is 708 and the Fico Bank Card score 9 is 714.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember PenFed runs that quirky NextGen score they are still solid
I'm a member of them, along with Navy, USAA, Unify and about to be Alliant...you can date as many as you want😉

And Pen has car rates as low as .74%, so never know which girl gets to ride shotgun... doesn't hurt to have a few on deck at all times😃
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.