cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I just drop a Chase card or transfer the limit?

tag
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Should I just drop a Chase card or transfer the limit?

Now that I was approved for the CSR, once I have the card in my possession, I will PC my CSP to a FU. (Eventually I will also get the Freedom but I am back to 5/24 again w/ the CSR.)
Now, with all my cards, my CLs are about $95k. That is way more than I will ever need and not sure I even want. I have $8800 CL (smallest limit on non-store card) on my United. I will be closing my United within the next 3-4 months and I don't really need to transfer the limit over (CSR $29k & CSP $31,100) anymore. Also eventually I want to get the Freedom as I said. It's crossed my mind that I may now be at Chase's limit ceiling for me.
Another thing, I used a credit score simulator (via Capt 1) and it had my score dropping by like 30 points once the new inq, new card and new CL hit. I don't know how accurate that thing really is. Can having too much credit hurt? I wanna buy a house in a few years, I have heard that having too much available credit could be bad, true?

What are your thoughts? Just close the United and ditch the limits or transfer the limits over to another card anyway? Does having too much available credit card credit hurt other things?
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I just drop a Chase card or transfer the limit?

I would close and ditch the CL. Too much credit could be looked at negatively from lenders, especially since you said you don't need it I don't see the point in transferring.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.