cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I keep AMEX Gold for another year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I keep AMEX Gold for another year?

Agreed
Message 31 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my Gold, but I spend a disproportionate amount of money on dining.

I agree with the sentiment that the card has to work for you, and if you have to work too hard to make it work, it isn't worth it. There's been a lot of great suggestions in this thread about how to maximize value out of the card. There's also been some great discussions about why the card may not be worth it. I think it's worth analyzing what camp you fall into.

Personally, a $250 annual fee isn't hard for me to stomach if I can get one reward trip out of it a year. Usually, that'll surpass $250 anyway. Everything after that is just a bonus.
Message 32 of 39
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Amex offers are available on their free cards too though, and there’s really no proof the offers are any better on the AF cards. So it really shouldn’t be used to justify the fee IMO.

Right. What I said is in addition to everything else being talked about already. I was simply saying that the Offers alone could pay for the fee and then some, but the card has to work for you to begin with. If it doesn't, and you need to find ways to "justify" it, then it's not for you.

Message 33 of 39
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Shadowfactor

It’s okay to disagree with me. The amount of time it takes to find award availability doesn’t mean to same to you as it does to me and that’s okay.

I value my time in a way that’s different than you and there’s nothing wrong with that. And if I were in your situation I would probably do the same thing and take the time to look for decent redemptions on award flight. However I don’t have to work even remotely close to 30 hours to make $1250 so for me the time spent vs the value isn’t the same.

Thanks for the reply...always interesting view the topic from the perspective of others.
Message 34 of 39
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Rakuten dining reward is not for every one.

For starter, its an iOS only app. Then the restaurent in the network... lets just say they aren't cheap. And lastly, you can get reward through reward network already (AA dining, delta dining, southwest dining, etc).

Just to clarify, Rakuten Dining is through Rewards Network the same as most airline/hotel/fuel/cash dining reward programs, so all of the eligible restaurants are exactly the same.  It's a shame that they won't just let you sign up on the website, but the Android app update with it is coming soon.  I have VIP status with SkyMiles Dining so I earn 5x instead of the standard 3x, but I'm still switching over to Rakuten.  If I needed SkyMiles, I can still transfer to Delta 1:1 so I'm not losing anything and that also gives me the option to be able to transfer to Virgin Atlantic or Air France/KLM for even cheaper Delta awards.

The selection of restaurants is going to vary widely depending on the city.  Here in Boston, there are about 250 restaurants listed within a 30 mile radius from almost fast food to fine dining (one of the latter shares a merchant account with a luxury movie theatre here; it was a surprise when dinner and drinks at the movie triggered SkyMiles Dining LOL), so there's a little bit for everyone.  I always look when I travel, so I do know that in some areas (especially those dominated by chain restaurants) it might just be a handful of bars and pubs participating.

Amex Offers was mentioned several times in the thread.  I do have to say that having numerous Amex cards, every card gets different offers.  I've had enough unique ones in the past 12 months to essentially cover my AF on Gold and then there's GrubHub to more than take care of the rest.  I really don't use my Gold Card much, but every time I consider closing it I realize I'm not exactly losing money on it, and it would be hard to me to close a card that old.

Message 35 of 39
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. split delta trip into two one way trips and book as two trips, for each trip, use 50-100 GC and pay the remainder (<100) with gold, should trigger credit.

Have you tested this past mid-2019? I thought the GC trick stopped working completely around a couple of months ago? There might be a chance the GC trick could work but only if you buy it from SkyClub lounges.

This is different from the old 'trick'; in this case it's paying the remainder of the flight that triggers the credit, not the purchase of the GC.  The GC is only needed to get the balance due to under $100.

Expanding on this method, you can use any GC to activate this trick? It doesn't have to be specific to the Airline youre flight is on right, hence could be any generic Visa/MC type? Then pay the remainder with Gold. Or does it have to be a Delta GC? Or can one do the pay with Mileage +Cashand still trigger it?

When using a Delta gift card for some of the cost of a ticket, it codes differently than a normal ticket purchase which is why that still works for triggering the credit.  If you are splitting the payment onto 2 or more credit cards, I think it would still code as a normal ticket purchase (also note that you cannot split payment onto 2 or more credit cards on the Delta website or app, but it's likely possible over the phone or in-person).

I'm not sure if Pay With Miles will code differently or not; it's quite possible that it might, but at 1 cent per mile (less if not doing increments of $50, i.e. $300.00 requires 30k miles, but $300.23 requires 35k miles) it's not a very good value and might be best reserved for those who just have orphan points lying around or truly will never accrue enough miles for an award flight and you would still only earn SkyMiles based on whatever portion was not paid in miles.

Basically I think the reason the partial gift card payment is still working is because it pretty much codes as an ancillary fee like taxes on an award flight.  And it has to appear differently in the Delta system because if you were refunded, the amount charged to the gift card would not be refundable but rather issued as a travel credit.

Message 36 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, thanks for that. I was just curious as Amex had an offer for free fee on GC while also being 20% off. So i'm considering using this method

Message 37 of 39
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. split delta trip into two one way trips and book as two trips, for each trip, use 50-100 GC and pay the remainder (<100) with gold, should trigger credit.

Have you tested this past mid-2019? I thought the GC trick stopped working completely around a couple of months ago? There might be a chance the GC trick could work but only if you buy it from SkyClub lounges.

This is different from the old 'trick'; in this case it's paying the remainder of the flight that triggers the credit, not the purchase of the GC.  The GC is only needed to get the balance due to under $100.

Expanding on this method, you can use any GC to activate this trick? It doesn't have to be specific to the Airline youre flight is on right, hence could be any generic Visa/MC type? Then pay the remainder with Gold. Or does it have to be a Delta GC? Or can one do the pay with Mileage +Cashand still trigger it?

When using a Delta gift card for some of the cost of a ticket, it codes differently than a normal ticket purchase which is why that still works for triggering the credit.  If you are splitting the payment onto 2 or more credit cards, I think it would still code as a normal ticket purchase (also note that you cannot split payment onto 2 or more credit cards on the Delta website or app, but it's likely possible over the phone or in-person).

I'm not sure if Pay With Miles will code differently or not; it's quite possible that it might, but at 1 cent per mile (less if not doing increments of $50, i.e. $300.00 requires 30k miles, but $300.23 requires 35k miles) it's not a very good value and might be best reserved for those who just have orphan points lying around or truly will never accrue enough miles for an award flight and you would still only earn SkyMiles based on whatever portion was not paid in miles.

Basically I think the reason the partial gift card payment is still working is because it pretty much codes as an ancillary fee like taxes on an award flight.  And it has to appear differently in the Delta system because if you were refunded, the amount charged to the gift card would not be refundable but rather issued as a travel credit.

Do you know if the partial gc method works for AA too?  Thanks!  

Message 38 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most DP says no to AA GC-then-partial-airfare trick. So you do have to fly Delta once a year to get that credit.

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.