Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I keep amex gold after yr 1?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I keep amex gold after yr 1?

I spend enough on groceries to keep it but I don't eat out alot. Maybe there's another grocery card besides the amex cards that max out at 6k a yr. Groceries are expensive in Hawaii. Everything is shipped to us.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Should I keep amex gold after yr 1?

What are MRs worth to you? Do you use the airfare extras credit or dining credits?

There is/was a variant of Amex Blue Cash that is informally called "Old Blue Cash" and is (or at least was) suitable for very high grocery spend. I don't know if it still exists (or if the reward structure has changed) but maybe someone else can weigh in.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use the dining credits didn't use the airline credit in the first year. I haven't seen another amex grocery card without the 6k yr spend.
Message 3 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I use the dining credits didn't use the airline credit in the first year. I haven't seen another amex grocery card without the 6k yr spend.

How often do you fly? Any favored airline, or one you can't avoid using? Hawaiian and Delta are both MR partners, though Delta has a reputation of low mile value.

From Hawaii all your flights will be somewhat long, but are they usually economy or business/first class?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a fair number of no-fee cards out there that give 2% on groceries. I have the TD Cash Visa, which isn't available nationally. There's is the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card. It also has $200 cashback on your first $1000 spend and an interest free period.

If you look at groceries alone, and count the Amex points as 4 cents, by the time you've spent $6000 on groceries you're STILL $10 behind on the annual fee.

With a 2% card, the $6000 spend gives you $120

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

BCE @ 3% no AF

BCP @ 6% $95 AF

If you wanted to get a higher cap you could combine the spend with the ED/EDP as well.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't travel at all, then I'm not sure the Gold is right for you or worth keeping. You likely would do better with the BCE/BCP or ED/EDP combos as mentioned above. The ED cards have the 20 swipe bonus going for them as well. Once you've reached the $6K limit on one, switch to the other. At least it's much easier to offset the $95 AF versus $250. However, if you cannot find use for MRs. Then you may want to stick with the Cash cards. I would research both combos to see which on works out best for you.

You could also look into Chase Trifecta, but it would take a little longer to get all 3 cards with them compared to Amex. 

What other cards do you have?

Message 7 of 10
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Gold 4x on groceries and dining doesn't cap out until $25k?

4x.jpg

Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

What are MRs worth to you? Do you use the airfare extras credit or dining credits?

There is/was a variant of Amex Blue Cash that is informally called "Old Blue Cash" and is (or at least was) suitable for very high grocery spend. I don't know if it still exists (or if the reward structure has changed) but maybe someone else can weigh in.

OBC still exists but is not available for new customers (or PCs AFAIK).   5% up to $50K per year, after initial $6,500 threshold spend on anything.

Message 9 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are a fair number of no-fee cards out there that give 2% on groceries. I have the TD Cash Visa, which isn't available nationally. There's is the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card. It also has $200 cashback on your first $1000 spend and an interest free period.

Well. there's also several free 2% general cards, such as PayPal MC, Fidelity, Citi Double Cash and others. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.