cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I keep my Cap One QS1?

Highlighted
Established Member

Should I keep my Cap One QS1?

So, when I began my credit rebuilding journey last year, I had abysmal scores and was only approved for a Discover It secured that I  backed with $1k and a capital one QS1 with a $300 limit.

 

The Cap One card is in credit steps and is currently at $500. My Discover just graduated, but no CLI. It's at 1k. I was also approved for a Delta gold AMEX at 1k and will probably be mostly focusing on growing Disco and Amex. Should I still focus on pushing stuff through cap one, paying it off, and hoping it will grow? I feel like it might be a better use of my time to try and CLI Disco/Amex. I have heard I might have trouble making the amex grow since I started at 1k, but hopefully it can.

 

Long story short, what are the pros and cons of continuing with the QS1?





Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I keep my Cap One QS1?

Pro: 1.5% cash back

Con: there's no other pro, especially once you get a 2% cb card







Message 2 of 22
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Should I keep my Cap One QS1?

I would drop the Cap card. You can get the PayPal or Double Cash later which means the only real benefit of the Cap card is if you have use for virtual credit card numbers when shopping on websites you aren’t so sure about. QS1 seems to be even more bucketed than their Platinum product. I would axe it.



Message 3 of 22
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I keep my Cap One QS1?


@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Pro: 1.5% cash back

Con: there's no other pro, especially once you get a 2% cb card


This^^. Close that Cap One. It’s bucketed and most likely won’t grow. Divert all power to Amex and Discover! 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex ED: 18k
Citi DC: 7.7k
Best Buy Visa: 3k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you go Berner, you never go back.
Message 4 of 22
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: Should I keep my Cap One QS1?

Drop it, but after you get another card that runs on Visa/Mastercard network. 

You might be sleep deprived if you try opening car door with Samsung Pay
Message 5 of 22
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I keep my Cap One QS1?

Once that card reaches 6 months (from open date) Cap1 will give you another card. This one will not be bucketed (stuck at low limits) as long as it’s not another QS1.

 

 They will give you a new card with a large limit but will not approve increases on the QS1 beyond a few hundred dollars at a time. I know people who have a Savor and Venture cards with 20k limits and get turned down for CLI on $800 QS1 cards. its weird but that just the way Cap1 system works.

 

Also so just try the prequal site at the major banks. Citi, BofA, Chase etc. As you don’t have a BK at least one of them will give you a card.

Message 6 of 22
Highlighted
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I keep my Cap One QS1?

Its bucketed but dont let it go till you have 3 solid cards . No need to keep dropping 3 hps for the Cap One ecosystem, plenty of other fish out thereSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 22
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Should I keep my Cap One QS1?


@Morpho wrote:

Also so just try the prequal site at the major banks. Citi, BofA, Chase etc. As you don’t have a BK at least one of them will give you a card.


BoA doesn’t have a true prequal. I would try them last. 




Message 8 of 22
Highlighted
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I keep my Cap One QS1?


@Morpho wrote:

Once that card reaches 6 months (from open date) Cap1 will give you another card. This one will not be bucketed (stuck at low limits) as long as it’s not another QS1.

 

 They will give you a new card with a large limit but will not approve increases on the QS1 beyond a few hundred dollars at a time. I know people who have a Savor and Venture cards with 20k limits and get turned down for CLI on $800 QS1 cards. its weird but that just the way Cap1 system works.

 

Also so just try the prequal site at the major banks. Citi, BofA, Chase etc. As you don’t have a BK at least one of them will give you a card.


This isn't true. If you're profile doesn't support it, any new cards will be bucketed as well.







Message 9 of 22
Highlighted
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I keep my Cap One QS1?


@Saeren wrote:

@Morpho wrote:

Also so just try the prequal site at the major banks. Citi, BofA, Chase etc. As you don’t have a BK at least one of them will give you a card.


BoA doesn’t have a true prequal. I would try them last. 


According to the latest reports, the prequal is working now







Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.