cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I switch to an Amex Blue Cash and ditch the Gold Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I switch to an Amex Blue Cash and ditch the Gold Card?

About a year ago after finishing paying off my credit card debt (after years of racking it up), I applied for an Amex gold card and have been using it since as my primary card. I liked the charge card becuase it forced me to pay in full every month as I rebuilt my credit. I've been throwing around ditching the gold card since it is $129 a year. I would say at the end of the year I break even with points. I was thinking of ditching the gold card and apping for a blue cash. That way I would at least be making something for using the card. Any thoughts on one vs the other?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I switch to an Amex Blue Cash and ditch the Gold Card?

I think its more important for you to do what you think will keep you on track. If you like being forced to pay the entire balance, and you are worried about getting into trouble with the revolver, you might just switch to the green. At least its got a cheaper AF. I would encourage you to try to get back into the revolving world if you dont think there is a chance of that happening, though.

Message 2 of 9
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

About a year ago after finishing paying off my credit card debt (after years of racking it up), I applied for an Amex gold card and have been using it since as my primary card. I liked the charge card becuase it forced me to pay in full every month as I rebuilt my credit. I've been throwing around ditching the gold card since it is $129 a year. I would say at the end of the year I break even with points. I was thinking of ditching the gold card and apping for a blue cash. That way I would at least be making something for using the card. Any thoughts on one vs the other?

i think this is a good game plan

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now I have around 26K in availible credit (with the exception of the overstock.com card, all low no frills low apr cards) and I PIF every month.  I will never go into debt again Smiley Wink. I just want the credit card companies to start paying me for a change!!!

Message 4 of 9
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure if they can even let you product change a charge card to a credit product. It takes a phone call to find out. Smiley Wink

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Answer is a big no on that one. I checked.

Message 6 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

In my estimation, the Amex charge cards are more suited to those who prefer MR points to cash rewards.  If you prefer cash rewards, I'd switch the the Blue in a heartbeat.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds good but first apply and be approved for the Blue Cash before closing the Gold card

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am one of those people who can't justify paying an AF/membership fee just for the privilege of buying something, whether its for a credit card, Amazon Prime, Costco, etc. Since I am single, my spending habits fluctuate from month to month and having a set of credit cards that I don't have to pay a penny to keep active gives me some peace of mind. I don't have to spend certain amount of money just to break even and every dollar I spend nets me a little cash back.

With that in mind, I am extremely happy with my Blue Cash Everyday card. It gets a decent cash back rate in several categories and comes with a lot of the perks offered on their more expensive charge cards, e.g. purchase protection, extended warranty, spending ability above stated credit line, etc.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.