Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I transfer 20,000 Thank You Points to True Blue1:1 ratio

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I transfer 20,000 Thank You Points to True Blue1:1 ratio

Right now my wife and I have 1 free vacation under our belt. But still have a ton to learn
So we have about another 150,000 points (40k MR'S, 60k DELTA, 55k AA) atm. Besides the thank you points. Don't plan to use any for at least 6-8 months.
Not sure where we are going exactly or when but open to suggestions lol.
Seeing as I only have the Rewards+ my only transfer option is true blue. While 1:1 ratio lasts 10/17 I think it endd....should I transfer the 20k?
I do understand I could book flights hotels, and rental cars with thank you points but seems 1:1 value..
I did some research and plan to do more and notice more value through true blue plus I have amex so I can transfer my MRS to true blue if I see something worth it.
11 REPLIES 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Should I transfer 20,000 Thank You Points to True Blue1:1 ratio

What's your home airport?

You can go onto the Jetblue website (or the wikipedia page for your airport) and get a rough idea of where jetblue flies from there.

I don't transfer points even during a promotion unless I have at least a rough idea of how I will use them.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are reasonably sure you gonna use jetblue in the next 6month to a year, go ahead. if not, you can always wait for next round of bonuses.

Also check the jetblue website and see how much points is needed for a typical trip. You don't want to transfer too much and waste the extra points in the account.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks i think I'll hold onto them, and see what the future brings. Thanks
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm out of Boston Logan. I wish AA was a partner of AMEX..
I just got an AAdvantage card, wife has delta, I figured we could use points from say Delta for the flight there, and aa or blue for flight home. But I'm a ways away so maybe wait. I did check some flights, and the value is better than going through thank you points. But worst case scenario I get 1:1. I can always too it off by sending MR'S IF need more for a trip. Hopefully they will have other offers by next spring (when I plan on booking Vaca)
We are looking at either NYC (She loves Boston, and has never been to NYC, she would love it) or California. Pretty flexible as I can pick my vacation weeks at work.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you fly AA, why not transfer MR to BA and redeem on AA flights? BA booked short AA domestic flight is just 9k avios one way plus 5.6USD fee. Right now there is a MR transfer bonus to BA at 1:1.4 (ends tonight), easily net you 2+ cpp.

Although, do keep in mind if you only fly between big hubs, cash price is typically very cheap and hard to beat, lol

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I'm a newbie so if I transfer to ba ide be able to fly any aa partner flight correct? Thanks for reminding me it ends tonight
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive noticed some very cheap flights using points compared to cash, but I've only searched so much. Are u saying cash is usually cheaper than points with most big hubs? The only one I booked (last months Vaca)was over $300 per round trip ticket I got for 11,000 points. Delta, and see aa has many for 10-14k
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ive noticed some very cheap flights using points compared to cash, but I've only searched so much. Are u saying cash is usually cheaper than points with most big hubs? The only one I booked (last months Vaca)was over $300 per round trip ticket I got for 11,000 points. Delta, and see aa has many for 10-14k

If you are flying between hubs or direct flight between large cities, e.g., BOS-LAX, BOS-NYC, the cash price for economy is just around 100-200 RT, its hard to find award booking that provides 2+cpp on these flights.

Obviously, you always want to do search first for your specific trip and see if award flight give you good values (I use kayak for cash price search, and use awardhacker for award cost search). The one you got (11kmiles for 300 USD ticket), for example, was of excellent value.

Regarding previous post, yes, you can book AA domestic flights through BA award (avios) booking. However, first, you need to goto BA, register an account and search some typical flights (those you likely to take) and see how availabilities and costs look like.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ty. I did just that. And seems like with the extra 40% transferring MR'S To avios, I see plenty of flights we would enjoy.
Since I'll have 50 k American airlines points once I meet sub, I'm going to transfer 11000-MRs= 15400-avios.
I'm weary of sending all of my MR'S for some Reason.. if I did send 25k I'd get another 10k on top. I noticed I can book hotels, and rentals as well. I could always transfer more in future if needed to.
Any reason I should worry?
Seems like I won't find much better value. Any thoughts are appreciated
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.