Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I try for Amex?

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I try for Amex?

Sorry to hear about the denial!

If you weren't already, start counting down the days until that thing drops. You will be in a whole new playing field then, and I wish you luck.

And feel free to use this opportunity to get a free copy of your Experian report by selecting "denial or adverse action" on their site. It's always helpful to check it from time to time, even if you think you know what's on it.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 11 of 25
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Sorry about the denial.

I think that you need to add at least 1 more credit card now though. I would suggest apping for a Walmart card. Your scores and history would give you a good chance of approval for that card. You have a very thin file and you need to start building it by having good credit report every month.

The Walmart card is serviced by GE and they are very generous with CLI over time and you get a free TU score every month after signing up for electronic billing.

The Cap1 card you have is a good starter card but they are terrible when it comes to CLI.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 12 of 25
beb86
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
Sorry to hear about the denial!

If you weren't already, start counting down the days until that thing drops. You will be in a whole new playing field then, and I wish you luck.

And feel free to use this opportunity to get a free copy of your Experian report by selecting "denial or adverse action" on their site. It's always helpful to check it from time to time, even if you think you know what's on it.

+1 and yes I would try again after your BK drops........

Message 13 of 25
720wannabe
Established Member

Thanks to all of you.  It was pretty depressing.  I think I apped on the 24th of Jan and was so #*(&$#(*& to check my Experian on Feb 2 and see that the chap 13 dismissal had fallen off!!  

So, I got brave tonight and called Amex to let them know that I pulled my EXP report on the 2nd and there was no Bk on there.  The guy asked me to fax it to their media dept.  Immediately, my app status changed from denied to in progress. 

Is there any chance they will approve me at this point?  My FAKO is showing a 730 with a collection from 2007.  I have one revolving- Cap 1 and an amex from 1987 (just out of high school) and a discover from 1992 that had a 10K limit.  

In the meantime, I got a couple of $500 limits with the shopping cart trick for Express and Victorias Secret.  I shop at both places and will get the rewards and pay off when I use.  It has not shown up on my credit as of now.  

Keeping my fingers crossed but not allowing myself to get too excited- hoping for the best.  

Starting Score: 1 EX681EQ 665 TU566
Current Score: 4/10/13 EQ Fico 666 EX764 (PLUS) TU FICO 699
Goal Score: Fico 750 EX750EQ 750 TU750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Capital One Platinum $3300 Sportsmans Guide VIsa 2200 Ann Taylor Mastercard 1500 FCCU 5500 Victorias Secret 500 One stop Plus 500 HSN 1500 Express 350

Message 14 of 25
Tryon2improve
Regular Contributor

I have heard good things about the Amex review.  I would check tomorrow morning to see if your status changes again to APPROVED!  If it hasn't call in and talk to them.  I feel positive about your situation.

Message 15 of 25
720wannabe
Established Member

Hi Tryon2improve- Thank you.  I'll take all the happy thoughts I can get.  

My only thought is if they keep a copy of the report they pulled on the 24th or if they will pull another or verify the info with EXP from the original.  Do they ever pull from other bureaus in this situation?  

Starting Score: 1 EX681EQ 665 TU566
Current Score: 4/10/13 EQ Fico 666 EX764 (PLUS) TU FICO 699
Goal Score: Fico 750 EX750EQ 750 TU750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Capital One Platinum $3300 Sportsmans Guide VIsa 2200 Ann Taylor Mastercard 1500 FCCU 5500 Victorias Secret 500 One stop Plus 500 HSN 1500 Express 350

Message 16 of 25
Tryon2improve
Regular Contributor

Typically they will SP your report that you provided (and the one they pulled previously) verify the information and formulate a new score then make the credit decision.  I don't think you will be triple pulled or have them pull another CB report.  I had to provide a copy before when I applied for a CLI, and the changes that were on my report weren't enough to make a difference at the time (ie, 1 of 3 collections dropped off and so did a judgement).  Good luck!

Message 17 of 25
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

I dont even know what some posters here suggesting.I would not apply for amex with the current situation your in.You dont stand a chance in my opinion.Amex is one of the most conservatives lenders out there and they will deny you just for the ch13.alone.I am suprised at some poster here misleading you in to applying for something that is 100% deny.IMO

Good luck though

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 18 of 25
jake619
Frequent Contributor

I think the previous history weighs more in your favor than most expect. If you didn't burn them it will be a positive factor. They didn't triple pull originally so that's a bonus. They are known to triple pull when you are borderline so yea, it wouldn't shock me to see them pull the others to double check the BK.

Unlike the perpetual Amex hating PP 1979 the rest of us are rooting for you.
Message 19 of 25
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@720wannabe wrote:

Well I tried for the Delta Gold Skymiles- was thinking positive thoughts the whole time... and

came back as not approved.  Went to the status page and said it was because of the dismissed chapter 13 that is coming off my report in freaking APRIL!  I feel kind of dumb but really want to have some positive credit in my favor.  Geez.  

Guess I need to wait until the BK is gone in April before applying.  They checked Experian.  THanks guys!  Hoping this will help someone else make their decision. 

Smiley Sad

Live and learn.  I was thrilled that my EX had gone up 109 points since October.  Guess points are not all that matter. 

At least you have your current Experian Fico now! Try again in a few months when it drops off and you will be approved!!  It took me two tries to get my Amex. Congrats on your progess and don't feel dumb or take it personal.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.