cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I upgrade Amex Delta Gold ( gold miles card ) Delta SkyMiles Platinum American Express Card

tag
janderson126
Contributor

Should I upgrade Amex Delta Gold ( gold miles card ) Delta SkyMiles Platinum American Express Card

Hey ALL 

I have had my card for over a year now - use it quite often for travel at least 6x a year, including Mexico, 2 different times for a week + at a time during that 12 month period. 

I am okay with the AF  - due to the benefits received, I am also like the idea of a companion travel pass. 

I am just not sure If I should hang on to my current gold card and then APP for a new Palt or upgrade? 

I don't really need to have two AF fees. 

Can anyone help me shed some light on this and the way they would go? 

( Yes, I have looked at tons of other posts just wanted to make sure that I explained my situation ) 

Thank you for your time. 

AMEX Delta Gold | Travel | 5k | 12/19
AMEX Delta Plat | 7k | 4/21
Navy Rewards | Gas | 18k | 06/20
Capone Savor | Entertainment | 3.5k | 1/20
Cap one | 6.5k | 1/10
Cap one Walmart | 2k| 10/17
PayPal Master Card | 2% Everyday Spend | 15k | 6/20
Venmo | 12K | 01/2024

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Should I upgrade Amex Delta Gold ( gold miles card ) to Platinum?

With the current huge Welcome Offers, if you're not averse to opening a new account I would go with an app for the Platinum.   How long have you had the Gold card?  If you were to open a new Platinum, the Gold would be essentially useless and an unnecessary annual fee.  Generally many of us will caution against closing or downgrading an Amex card in under 2 years and definitely not something that should be done before the first year.  If it's been longer, you could always app for the new one, move a substantial portion of the Gold's limit to the new card and then close the Gold or downgrade to the no-AF Blue.  With an upgrade, your offer will usually be substantially lower and it will also prevent you from getting a bigger offer for a new Platinum with Amex's policy on them if you have or have had a card.

If you can use the Companion Fare it certainly would make sense to have a higher tier Delta card.

Message 2 of 34
janderson126
Contributor

Hi, @K-in-Boston  Thank you for your fast reply - BTW, I have seen you in the threads often, and I always enjoy your feedback and how much advice you can offer. My GOAL is to be like you no just joking. However, I want to make sure I am getting the best plan in action for my current needs. 

With that said to get to your questions. 

I have had my Gold for roughly 16 months which is approx 71 weeks, and 494 days. 

I did not even think about it being " useless" and having an extra AF. That is something to keep in mind. Thank you for pointing that out. 

I could use the companion pass - Question do they have to live in the same household to use the pass, or can it be used by anyone, a friend or family member, etc.?

Regarding this statement: If you can use the Companion Fare, it certainly would make sense to have a higher tier Delta card you mean by upgrading or apping or both?  

I know that it was mentioned If I do the upgrade, it would be lower offers in the future. I am not sure If I want to rule that out completely because down the line, there could be an awesome bonus that I want to get my hands on, so that is why I am having a hard time deciding on to do this upgrade or not. However, you mentioned some great points.  

As far as applying for a new one - I am not sure If I would be approved. I mean, my credit is on point; ( I have high 700's, around 11 percent utilization). It just seems that AMEX likes certain profiles, not saying I am not there; however, I am a firm believer of not " rushing it" (for example, I have received the offer of upgrading last week or so, and I still have not hit that button yet ) at the same time, I want to get the best I can that is going to fit my long term plan.

Edit: I changed the title, clarifying the card I was after, not to confuse the 2 Plats. 

Due to the AF 550, I don't see the benefit to that at this time; however, If I had some understanding of it, that could change over time. 

That would bring me to another crossroad of having another AF that is even higher than the one I am seeking, 250AF. 

Just lots of questions about ALL this. 

I am happy to provide any other DP's needed; if so, please let me know. 

Many thanks, Looking forward to your reply  

Cap one | 6.5k | 1/10
Venmo | 12K | 01/2024

Message 3 of 34
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I appreciate the kind words!  You have had the Gold long enough, that if a new Platinum app makes sense for you, you should be fine to either downgrade it to Blue or close the card after you have been billed for the 2nd AF in about 8 months.  Once it hits your statement, you have 30 days to either pay it or call them (chat is an easy option) to close or downgrade.  They may even give you a retention offer that would bribe you into holding onto the card for another year!

As far as earning and perks go, yes the SkyMiles Gold would be useless as it offers no spending categories or perks that you would not have with Platinum.  The companion fare is actually fully transferable.  Not only do you not have to live in the same same household or be related, you can actually book a trip for two family members or friends with the pass even if you are not flying!  The pass will work for any flight in the lower 48 states that has two or more available L, U, X, T, or V fare seats in Main Cabin available (which is essentially every flight unless you are buying very last-minute and only higher fare class tickets are available).

Right now the new applicant Welcome Offers are among the highest they have ever been for SkyMiles cards.  Can we ask what the current credit limit of your existing card is?  If you click this link and then click the Apply button for the SkyMiles Platinum, does it show "applying to expand your membership is easy" or "you are preapproved!"?

Message 4 of 34
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I should clarify the Companion Fare rules that if you live in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or USVI, there are different fare rules.  If you live in Miami you can't take a short flight to PR or USVI but can go to the west coast no problem.  If you live in Hawaii (or any of the others) you can use the fare to go anywhere in the lower 48, even the very long flight to Miami.

Message 5 of 34
janderson126
Contributor

You are certainly most welcomed. I look at ALL your cards in your profile, the long road of freedom I like to call It, and I am like, how in the world is someone going to use all those cards? However, I understand that you have a plan - The only thing I wish I would have done years ago is to have a better plan; they say that knowledge is like a fine wine; it improves with time. 

I do agree with having the Gold long enough and time to move on to bigger and better that is the sole reason for this post - I want to make sure I am doing it right Smiley Happy 

I will keep that in mind about the downgrade to Blue or closing the card after the bill has been paid, which 8 months from now should be Dec 19th, 2021. 

WOW, that is awesome information about The Companion fare, and really good to know different ways of using that - I always thought they had to be the same flight, living in the same household, etc. Noted on the clarifications as well. 

That is good news to hear that it's the highest you have ever seen, which I am sure that you have seen a lot in your time through your credit Journey Smiley Happy 

Sure, the current CLI is 5k - I will check the pre-approval and report back on what it says. 

--- I clicked on the link that you linked - As soon as I do so, it only shows request an upgrade not apply now for the Plat SkyMiles card. I am missing something, or do I have to wait until that " upgrade offer goes away?"

Do you need any other DP's at this time? 

I really appreciate you taking your time with me on this - I don't even know how I would ever repay you. 

THANK YOU Smiley Happy THANK YOU Smiley Happy

Cap one | 6.5k | 1/10
Venmo | 12K | 01/2024

Message 6 of 34
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I didn't think about the upgrade offer blocking the Apply button.  Use this link and then sign in: (click I'm Already A Card Member just above the picture of the card if your browser's cookies don't let Amex know you're already a cardholder)

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card-application/apply/delta-skymiles-platinum-ameri...

That should have the wording of the preapproval or applying to expand for the 90k SkyMiles offer for $3k spend in 3 months as long as you apply by the 28th.

Since you already have a $5k limit, you are not in the "just squeezed in" category so a denial would be exceptionally surprising.  Once approved you can also move most of your limit to the new card if you so desire.  I have seen one slightly better offer on the card early in 2020 and this one doesn't have any MQMs attached to it in the Welcome Offer if attaining status is important (and if it is, you may want to book those Mexico flights through Aeromexico and then credit your SkyMiles account!), but it is still a fantastic offer!

Message 7 of 34
janderson126
Contributor

Yes, that upgrade offer was tricky. 

I used the link and followed the instructions. At this time, I see you are pre-approved ( Which Is awesome ). I was happy to see that; however, I am still not sure, due to I understand that Pre Approvals are not always 100 percent. 

Speaking of this, what score is suggested for the Platinum card? Do you have any DP's on this offhand, please? Based on what you know about my score etc. - Would you say I have a pretty good chance? 

I like the idea of moving the limit to another card  -  Once I get approved, I will keep this in mind. 

Would I close the gold card If I move over the full amount CL or keep it open and move most of the amount? 

Good tip on the booking of Mexico - Love that places its heaven on earth.  Love sitting poolside with margaritas. 

The offer shown is amazing; thank you for locating it for me. 

NOW the biggest question: If you were in my shoes, would you app for the new card now or wait a few days? Thoughts?

Cap one | 6.5k | 1/10
Venmo | 12K | 01/2024

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing in life is 100%, but Amex pre-approvals are usually spot on if you profile supports it. I'd say if you over 700 you should be fine, 750 is better.  I'd app ASAP as those offers come and go often constantly changing. As for closing hte Gold I'd just keep it until you next AF posts, after all it's not costing anything extra at the moment.

Message 9 of 34
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I would personally app, but of course that is your decision.  I would be extremely surprised if you were denied.  As for data points on approval, there are DPs of upper 600s and a few random cases of lower than that.

You should be able to move most of the limit whether you do it right away or wait until closing.  Amex will generally not allow you to combine entire limits.   The minimum credit line for each card varies, but you should be able to move most of it.  Just remember on the Gold SkyMiles card, wait until the annual fee hits again before closing or downgrading to SkyMiles Blue.  They will remove the annual fee as long as you do it within 30 days of it hitting your statement.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.