Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I upgrade to Amex Plat?

tag
TomWB
New Contributor

Should I upgrade to Amex Plat?

I got the email offer to upgrade my gold to platinum, with 100K points. The platinum perks are pretty enticing to me, and I can see myself using ~70% of the various credits for plat users, but I travel probably less than 10 times a year. So, I would really appreaciate any suggestions.

Amex gold has been my main card because of the 4x dining, and my other cards don't have large CL, so I put all of my big purchases on the gold card. But I recently got the CFU, which has 3% dining.

Not sure whether I should pull the trigger. Taking any suggesstions. Thank you!

Credit Cards:

P2:

Closed Credit Cards:
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Re: Should I upgrade to Amex Plat?

@TomWB wrote:

I got the email offer to upgrade my gold to platinum, with 100K points. The platinum perks are pretty enticing to me, and I can see myself using ~70% of the various credits for plat users, but I travel probably less than 10 times a year. So, I would really appreaciate any suggestions.

Amex gold has been my main card because of the 4x dining, and my other cards don't have large CL, so I put all of my big purchases on the gold card. But I recently got the CFU, which has 3% dining.

I have both going back (on and off lol) to 1994. The Gold card is the best of the two by far for every day use. Especially dining and groceries. The Platinum is geared toward travel and not a good every day card at all. Most folks I know have both and use them for those two different usages. You said you travel 10 times a year. If that's by air thats actually quite a bit and the Platinum may benefit you. Plus biggest reason a lot of folks that have the Platinum as their travel card is the use of the Centurion lounges along with free Priority Pass membership and access to Delta Lounges when flying Delta. Add in the TSA and Clear benefits and that's the biggest reason to have the Platinum. Since you're going to have to pay the $695 AF (at some point ) I'd just do as I did and many other on here. I'd just apply and add the Platinum and keep the Gold and accept paying the other $250 for the Gold and have both. 

Message 2 of 30
TomWB
New Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

@TomWB wrote:

I have both going back (on and off lol) to 1994. The Gold card is the best of the two by far for every day use. Especially dining and groceries. The Platinum is geared toward travel and not a good every day card at all. Most folks I know have both and use them for those two different usages. You said you travel 10 times a year. If that's by air thats actually quite a bit and the Platinum may benefit you. Plus biggest reason a lot of folks that have the Platinum as their travel card is the use of the Centurion lounges along with free Priority Pass membership and access to Delta Lounges when flying Delta. Add in the TSA and Clear benefits and that's the biggest reason to have the Platinum. Since you're going to have to pay the $695 AF (at some point ) I'd just do as I did and many other on here. I'd just apply and add the Platinum and keep the Gold and accept paying the other $250 for the Gold and have both. 

Thank you very much for your input. After done more research on the Platinum card, I have decided to hold back and not getting the card for now. Since the AF keeps increasing in the recent years, and many people claim that the perks are not worth the $695 AF now.

Credit Cards:

P2:

Closed Credit Cards:
Message 3 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@TomWB wrote:
many people claim that the perks are not worth the $695 AF now.

A lot depends on where you live and where you travel. I make less than 10 trips a year and find both a personal Schwab and Business Platinum card worthwhile. My usual routes have a lot of Delta and some Centurion (or other Amex-participating) lounges, and most of the credits give me some value.

That said, if I had to pick one, I'd go with Business over Schwab.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 30
redpat
Senior Contributor

I would suggest that you do not upgrade.

You should apply and try to get 100,000 - 150,000 sign-up bonus and still use your gold dining and grocery.

Having both works well.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 30
redpat
Senior Contributor

@TomWB wrote:

@bigseegar wrote:

@TomWB wrote:

Thank you very much for your input. After done more research on the Platinum card, I have decided to hold back and not getting the card for now. Since the AF keeps increasing in the recent years, and many people claim that the perks are not worth the $695 AF now.

Do your own homework regarding the AF, what many people say may not apply to you.  

Really look at the perks and FHR stays/w third night free.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 30
TomWB
New Contributor

@redpat wrote:

You should apply and try to get 100,000 - 150,000 sign-up bonus and still use your gold dining and grocery.

Having both works well.

Yes, I saw the offer 150K + 10% restaurant for 6 months when applying for a new card. I almost hit the apply button. However, after weighing the perk/AF, I have decided not to apply. I don't use any of the services coverd by $240 entertainment credit, never used Walmart+, won't use most of the $200 airline fee, won't use the $300 Equinox credit. Plus I travel < 10 times/year, and most of the time I arrives at the airport 1 hr before takeoff, so there is no lounge time.

Credit Cards:

P2:

Closed Credit Cards:
Message 7 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Do your own homework regarding the AF, what many people say may not apply to you.  

Maybe it's just that a lot of my travel takes me to generally-expensive northern California, but the prices I generally see for FHR properties make me wonder why anyone who uses FHR even bothers to keep track of annual fees!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 30
TomWB
New Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Maybe it's just that a lot of my travel takes me to generally-expensive northern California, but the prices I generally see for FHR properties make me wonder why anyone who uses FHR even bothers to keep track of annual fees!

That's certainly a very interesting perk to look into, and I don't remember seeing any article/video mentioning it. But unfortunately for me, I stay at Airbnb for around half of my travels.

Credit Cards:

P2:

Closed Credit Cards:
Message 9 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@TomWB wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Having both works well.

Yes, I saw the offer 150K + 10% restaurant for 6 months when applying for a new card. I almost hit the apply button. However, after weighing the perk/AF, I have decided not to apply. I don't use any of the services coverd by $240 entertainment credit, never used Walmart+, won't use most of the $200 airline fee, won't use the $300 Equinox credit. Plus I travel < 10 times/year, and most of the time I arrives at the airport 1 hr before takeoff, so there is no lounge time.

While the 150K offer can be very enticing, it basically boils down to whether you can maximize the AmEx Platinum 'coupon book'. If you can't justify the AF, let alone use any of the benefits, then it's best to leave things as is and forgo the upgrade (or new app altogether).

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.