Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I upgrade to Amex Plat?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I upgrade to Amex Plat?

@FinStar wrote

While the 150K offer can be very enticing, it basically boils down to whether you can maximize the AmEx Platinum 'coupon book'. If you can't justify the AF, let alone use any of the benefits, then it's best to leave things as is and forgo the upgrade (or new app altogether).

Right.   I think the Plat is a fairly polarizing card here, some, get great value out of it and don't always realize that others can correctly decide the value proposition isn't there for them, now.  As @FinStar says, if the "coupon book" places are part of your organic spend, it's likely to be an easy decision, otherwise not!  I remember with the Saks credit, the Plat lovers saying basically "Anyone can find something to buy for $50 at Saks!!!"   Yes, but you may not want to make the effort and it had better replace something that you would have bought anyway.

I don't remember quite this level of belief in a card for other cards, well, maybe except for AOD, which more arguably DOES make sense for most people (if you can deal with the application process!)

TL/DR: If, after a reasonable analysis, the Plat doesn't seem right, don't feel pressured.   It's probably not right for you.

Message 11 of 30
redpat
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote

While the 150K offer can be very enticing, it basically boils down to whether you can maximize the AmEx Platinum 'coupon book'. If you can't justify the AF, let alone use any of the benefits, then it's best to leave things as is and forgo the upgrade (or new app altogether).

Right.   I think the Plat is a fairly polarizing card here, some, get great value out of it and don't always realize that others can correctly decide the value proposition isn't there for them, now.  As @FinStar says, if the "coupon book" places are part of your organic spend, it's likely to be an easy decision, otherwise not!  I remember with the Saks credit, the Plat lovers saying basically "Anyone can find something to buy for $50 at Saks!!!"   Yes, but you may not want to make the effort and it had better replace something that you would have bought anyway.

I don't remember quite this level of belief in a card for other cards, well, maybe except for AOD, which more arguably DOES make sense for most people (if you can deal with the application process!)

TL/DR: If, after a reasonable analysis, the Plat doesn't seem right, don't feel pressured.   It's probably not right for you.

$100 Sax - easy, annual cologne purchases, from Nords to Sax

$240 Who doesn't spend that amount now a days

$200 Hotel credit / easy for some and not for some here.  The $100 one should benefit most.

$155 Walmart+, hate Walmart but Amex sucked me in.  Like the free deliveries and dumped Amazon prime.

$100 Uber, that's about how much I use.

That's $795 of my spend anyway and who gives a crap about that $200 airline credit anymore if you fly up front.

2023 does change things regarding the centurion lounge access for guests.  

I know it's hard for some to prepay expenses, but that's how I view my plat and delta reserve card / I booked 2 FC and used the companion certificate for a flight costing $1,204 AF $550 came out $654 a head for prepaying $550 for an airline ticket.

Maybe look these cards as prepaid costs rather than AFs.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 12 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@redpat wrote:

$200 Hotel credit / easy for some and not for some here.  The $100 one should benefit most.

$155 Walmart+, hate Walmart but Amex sucked me in.  Like the free deliveries and dumped Amazon prime.

Not for everyone.

For example: 

$100 Sax - easy, annual cologne purchases, from Nords to Sax For me, $0.  Probably COULD find something, but not worth the effort.

$240 Who doesn't spend that amount now a days  $0   No streaming stuff for me outside Amazon Prime Video

$200 Hotel credit / easy for some and not for some here.  The $100 one should benefit most.  Not sure.

$155 Walmart+, hate Walmart but Amex sucked me in.  Like the free deliveries and dumped Amazon prime.  Can't dump Amazon Prime (big WholeFoods shopper) so also $0

$100 Uber, that's about how much I use.    $0, don't use

So a much lower value to me.   Now, surprisingly, not everyone is like me either (still a mystery why that is allowed) so others will use more Uber and not be tied to Amazon via WholeFoods, so their valuation will be different.   But it's really not as clear as you seem to imply (especially the $240 streaming comment!)

Message 13 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Sometimes I've used the Saks credit naturally, buying something a relative wanted anyway (using Rakuten for 10x on the portal, splitting the credit, and getting reimbursed by a check). But apart from socks and underwear my own Saks selections have been disappointments...like sandals that are hard to walk in, and shorts that somehow manage to combine ugliness with a lack of function (pockets are wide but not deep and they are too bulky to be practical for exercise). $50 for me.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Not for everyone.

For example: 

$100 Sax - easy, annual cologne purchases, from Nords to Sax For me, $0.  Probably COULD find something, but not worth the effort.

$240 Who doesn't spend that amount now a days  $0   No streaming stuff for me outside Amazon Prime Video

$200 Hotel credit / easy for some and not for some here.  The $100 one should benefit most.  Not sure.

$155 Walmart+, hate Walmart but Amex sucked me in.  Like the free deliveries and dumped Amazon prime.  Can't dump Amazon Prime (big WholeFoods shopper) so also $0

$100 Uber, that's about how much I use.  $0, don't use

So a much lower value to me.   Now, surprisingly, not everyone is like me either (still a mystery why that is allowed) so others will use more Uber and not be tied to Amazon via WholeFoods, so their valuation will be different.   But it's really not as clear as you seem to imply (especially the $240 streaming comment!)

Re: Uber

Do you never get takeout? Or don't have an appealing set of local options that participate with Eats?

I don't give it quite the full face value since the prices often run a little higher than ordering directly from a restaurant, and there's monthly micromanagement.

Message 15 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Not for everyone.

For example: 

$100 Uber, that's about how much I use.    $0, don't use

Exactly.

@redpat- bottom line, if it works for you or others, that's great. Some will find value and others will not. The OP had simply asked whether they should upgrade (based on their circumstances), and given the information they provided, it wasn't a suitable card for them.

Message 16 of 30
redpat
Senior Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Not for everyone.

For example: 

$100 Uber, that's about how much I use.  $0, don't use

Do you never get takeout? Or don't have an appealing set of local options that participate with Eats?

I don't give it quite the full face value since the prices often run a little higher than ordering directly from a restaurant, and there's monthly micromanagement.

Only rides, Lol, I have a food delivery phobia.....Old school pick up my take-out.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 17 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Only rides, Lol, I have a food delivery phobia.....Old school pick up my take-out.

Some (not all but maybe most?) Eats-participating restaurants allow for customer pickup. Prices may be a little higher than ordering directly, but you can skip the fees and tip (and any third-party handling of your food).

Message 18 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

We dio sometimes do takeout, it's more the lack of options.   Since we are vegans, fewer places.   One is very close, so it's easy enough to pickup, the rest don't work with delivery or, in one case, is  out of area for delivery (this surprised me as it is fairly close, ~ 5 miles.  Does each restaurant decide how far the delivery radius is?).'

I must admit that I use Uber in the UK, but that is not an every month event to utilize the credit!

Message 19 of 30
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

We dio sometimes do takeout, it's more the lack of options.   Since we are vegans, fewer places.   One is very close, so it's easy enough to pickup, the rest don't work with delivery or, in one case, is  out of area for delivery (this surprised me as it is fairly close, ~ 5 miles.  Does each restaurant decide how far the delivery radius is?).'

I must admit that I use Uber in the UK, but that is not an every month event to utilize the credit!

I believe so. Or they can decide the ZIP codes. A few times (lacking a car with a charged battery in a rural area) I've walked a couple hundred yards to be in a favorite restaurant's delivery area. (Note to driver: I'll be on the street wearing X Y and Z.)

When I'm in not-rural LA County, though, there are quite a few vegan restaurants that will deliver!

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.