Did you mean: 

Should I use a Balance Transfer Promo?

tag
StriderM99
New Contributor

Should I use a Balance Transfer Promo?

Hello all,

I'm looking for opinions!

I have a Discover card that is currently offering me a Balance Transfer Promo.. I've never done a balance transfer, so I'm not sure if it's worth it or not...

Right now, my Discover card carries a balance with a utilization ratio around 18%

I have 2 other cards with balances that might be worth transfering...

Lowes Card... APR at 24.99%   - balance is $1584.47

Chase Freedom... APR at 22.99%  - balance is $2999.00

I have enough room with my Discover Credit Limit to fit both balances if needed.

Discover is offering 2 options;

1. 0% interest rate for 18 months, with a 3% Transfer Fee

2. 4.99% interest rate for 24 months, with a 0% Transfer Fee

Realistically, both cards will be paid off within the next few months (lets say 4 months max)... or the new balance (if transfered to Discover)

Discover has a "calculator" to show you your savings, but they're drawing it out over the 18 or 24 month periods..

Should I use this promo?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Re: Should I use a Balance Transfer Promo?

@StriderM99 wrote:

Hello all,

I'm looking for opinions!

I have a Discover card that is currently offering me a Balance Transfer Promo.. I've never done a balance transfer, so I'm not sure if it's worth it or not...

Right now, my Discover card carries a balance with a utilization ratio around 18%

I have 2 other cards with balances that might be worth transfering...

Lowes Card... APR at 24.99%   - balance is $1584.47

Chase Freedom... APR at 22.99%  - balance is $2999.00

I have enough room with my Discover Credit Limit to fit both balances if needed.

Discover is offering 2 options;

1. 0% interest rate for 18 months, with a 3% Transfer Fee

Realistically, both cards will be paid off within the next few months (lets say 4 months max)... or the new balance (if transfered to Discover)

Discover has a "calculator" to show you your savings, but they're drawing it out over the 18 or 24 month periods..

Should I use this promo?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sound worth it to me....I've done this before with my Discover card.  I used the first option and called in that day to request a CLI.  It was a hard pull, because I was granted a automatic CLI just weeks before and I did not want to blow my utilzation.  

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 2 of 5
compassion101
Established Contributor

The 3% BT fee is around $138. The 4.99% interest is around $19/month. Si if you will pay it off in the next few months then go for the 4.99. If more than 7 months then the other way seems better for you.

Message 3 of 5
ak_7vytr0
Frequent Contributor

saving $ either way looks like Smiley Happy we all like saving

outta the garden.. for a house Smiley Very Happybr>Current score - eq 682(myfico) ex 703(ex 02) Tr 701 (tr 04) ck fako 66)
In the wallet - freedom 6k - Marriot 16.3k - Ak Airlines 25k - Bass pro MC (BofA) 12.5k - Amex SPG 18k - Amex Everday 11.7k - Amex BC 1K - Barclay Rewards 4k Newegg preferred 2.4k - Cabelas 2k - Diners Club Elite 15k -Diners Club Premier 15k - CU1 15K -Blue Nile 15k - Lowes 17k... HD 10k
Message 4 of 5
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

This one. If you are paying these off in a couple of months this is the way to go, definitely.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.