Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i Close discover it??

tag
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Should i Close discover it??

I was recently approved for citibank, amex, freedom these past weeks and i was also approved for the discover it. Since i have 3 prime cards alrwady should i Cancel my discover it ?? I didn't receive the card yet, and the customer rep say i can only close it after i get the card.. if i don't activate the card and call CSR to close it the TL wont be on my CR right? I want to close it because it would be my lowest CL card..

Thanks

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Re: Should i Close discover it??

@JaeJae12 wrote:

I was recently approved for citibank, amex, freedom these past weeks and i was also approved for the discover it. Since i have 3 prime cards alrwady should i Cancel my discover it ?? I didn't receive the card yet, and the customer rep say i can only close it after i get the card.. if i don't activate the card and call CSR to close it the TL wont be on my CR right? I want to close it because it would be my lowest CL card..

Thanks

Keep it.  It's also a prime card that has great customer service, and it will grow with you.

Besides, you will take the hit from the reporting even if you close the card, so there's no sense in closing it.  My Discover It is one of my favorite and most-used cards.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 2 of 23
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

The tradeline will still show up, along with the hard inquiry. The tradeline will report as closed and will not be taken into account when calculating utilization.

I love my Discover It card. Great rewards, amazing customer service (sometimes better than Amex). I would keep it.

Message 3 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@JaeJae12 wrote:

Thanks

Why would you want to close it??? Discover is as prime as it gets.

Keep it!!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 23
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

@TNTransplant wrote:

@JaeJae12 wrote:

Thanks

Keep it.  It's also a prime card that has great customer service, and it will grow with you.

Besides, you will take the hit from the reporting even if you close the card, so there's no sense in closing it.  My Discover It is one of my most-used cards.

but i don't plan on using it at all, and i have 3 new TL open already adding this one will be 4 

Garden mode

Message 5 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@JaeJae12 wrote:

@TNTransplant wrote:

@JaeJae12 wrote:

Thanks

Besides, you will take the hit from the reporting even if you close the card, so there's no sense in closing it.  My Discover It is one of my most-used cards.

but i don't plan on using it at all, and i have 3 new TL open already adding this one will be 4 

You should use IT and freedom for the 5% categories. Do yourself a huge favor and keep it!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 23
solxp
Contributor

there is really no super good reason for closing a card with no AF. Regardless of the CL it will affect your Uti. At some point in the future it will hit your AAoA. Keep you eye on the future. You took the hit allready for the account it is 100% up to discover as the wether they will delete it or not from the report they are not required to. A new account opened then closed right away will flag some models and cause reviews by your other card companies. The discover will grow with you and personally I think its better then any Citicard out there right now except for a few select users that can utilize citi's rewards to thier maximum.

Message 7 of 23
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@JaeJae12 wrote:

@TNTransplant wrote:

@JaeJae12 wrote:

Thanks

Use it every couple of months for a small charge to show activity so it doesn't close. It will help with Utilization.

Message 8 of 23
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@JaeJae12 wrote:

@TNTransplant wrote:

@JaeJae12 wrote:

Thanks

It doesn't matter if you use it or not; it will still report as a tradeline for the next 10 years even if you close it.  Why do you feel you only need 3 prime cards instead of 4?

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 9 of 23
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

i have 4 prime cards al

@TNTransplant wrote:

@JaeJae12 wrote:

@TNTransplant wrote:

@JaeJae12 wrote:

Thanks

It doesn't matter if you use it or not; it will still report as a tradeline for the next 10 years even if you close it.  Why do you feel you only need 3 prime cards instead of 4?

i have 4 prime cards alrdy, this will be the fifth one.. I guess i will sock draw it, would using it once every 4 months be adequate then? 

Garden mode

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.