Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i apply for a savor card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should i apply for a savor card?

I keep getting prequalified emails from capital one. I already have a quicksilver (700 limit) and a walmart card from capital one (550) my credit has increased a little since i applied. Im worried about this new card getting bucketed again. Should I risk the hard inquiry? I have a 5,000  and 2,500limit on discover. Would that help me not get bucketed? I am wanted atleast a 5000 dollar starting limit. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should i apply for a savor card?

Personally, I wouldn't put all my eggs in the Capital One basket.  Since you already have 2 CCs, no point in adding a third.  Plus, there's no guarantee you'll get $5K out of the gate if you apply.  There's also the tripple whipple effect as far as inquiries.  

Message 2 of 15
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

I've been getting those emails as well.

I only have one card with them, low 500SL Quicksilver. 

If you're needing at least 5K SL, this might not be for you. I just don't see many SL's at the amount anymore. 

Doesn't mean people aren't being approved for those amounts, I just haven't seen them here.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne markets this as a premier card in their eyes and will have underwriting requirements commensurate with that opinion. How do your scores and overall profile look?

Message 4 of 15
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I keep getting prequalified emails from capital one. I already have a quicksilver (700 limit) and a walmart card from capital one (550) my credit has increased a little since i applied. Im worried about this new card getting bucketed again. Should I risk the hard inquiry? I have a 5,000  and 2,500limit on discover. Would that help me not get bucketed? I am wanted atleast a 5000 dollar starting limit. 

I don't know if they truly "bucket" the Savor card, but I can tell you that getting a CLI out of them requires at least hitting 50% of your CL once or twice, pay it off in a couple months (or PIF) and keep putting heavy use through it for 6-12 months. Unless dining and entertainment are huge organic spending areas for you, there are much easier FI's to grow a card with. AFAIK,  the Savor minimum CL is $3K so no guarantee that you'll have $5K to start with.

If you have the means, I would try NFCU.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't want bucketed cards in my profile if I have other cards with decent CLs, which you have. I  would want to phase out bucketed cards, and then try for the Savor when your profile and scores lends itself for a solid attempt of getting it.

Message 6 of 15
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

I agree with the advice given, you already have 2 CapOne cards, don't need another.  Plus you'll get a triple CB pull. 

I would look towards another bank to build a relationship with, maybe Discover or depending on your situation and 5/24 maybe even Chase.  Chase Freedom cards offer 3% on dining with no AF.     

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would pass on applying at Capital One.  If you already have 2 low limit cards from them, the odds of you getting a SL of 5k+ are not in your favor.  I also wouldn't take a triple pull to find out that I'm disappointed with the limit.  There's plenty of other cards out there that earn respectable rewards in this category.  Diversify your profile and apply with another creditor.

Message 8 of 15
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

This is the post of soft-pull pre-approvals, I would check some of these before you commit to a hard pull.  Soft pull pre-approval list 

Message 9 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous, given that you already have two Capital One cards and two Discover cards, I'd look for a Mastercard or a Visa from a third bank. How old are your current cards? Is the Walmart card a store card or a Mastercard? How do your scores and credit reports shape up?

Would you be eligible for an NFCU membership?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.