cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i pull the trigger?!?! Advice please.

tag
mr_brendo
Established Member

Should i pull the trigger?!?! Advice please.

Soooo my trigger finger is getting itchy...

My one credit card from navy fed now has a balance of 1000 (5500 available) after about 8 month of slowly paying it down from ~4400. In that time i have applied for and recieved a 12500 NavyFed checking line of creddit, got my NavyFed car loan down to ~12500 from ~18000, and seen my credit score climb into the mid 700s.  Ive always had the goal of getting my balance down to 0 in the back of my mind, but now im not sure how much id really benefit from it.  If i can get approved for a couple new cards and maybe get some luv for NavyFed on my exsisting card then my overall available credit increase should help my score no?

my anxiousness has only been increased by my desire to propose to my girlfriend sometime before the end of this year.  As some of you may have seen in my last post in the relationship boards i am in the market for a ring.  I dont have the money to buy it outright, so a personal loan or a new card with a 0% APR period would be awesome.  Some of you may judge and say applying for/recieving/and instally maxing out a card isnt responsible whatsoever, and i would be inclined to agree.  But im in the military, and getting married would give me a signifigant pay bumb, that when paired with my current rent free living condition should allow me to pay off the balance extremely quickly.  I dont plan on making the military a life long career so some extra income over the next year and a half to help my GF pay off some of her student loans and my car loan would be awsome.

Some cards im interested in include an AMEX (either BCP or Everyday Preffered), Discover, USAA (being that i have my car insurance through them) and an increase on my exsisting NavyFed cash rewards.

I know this was quite the read, but thank you in advance for any and all advice.  This forum is amazing, i spend alot of time reading and learning hoping one day ill be in a position to offer helpful advice for others.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Should i pull the trigger?!?! Advice please.

Seems like you have your credit house in order and have some pretty good FICO scores as well as making good on your payments, so I don't see any harm in seeing if you can at least prequalify for some of those cards you want and going from there. Good luck on the proposal too.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.