Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shut down by comenity for adding ONE visa

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Shut down by comenity for adding ONE visa

Ever since I joined this forum, people have been trashing Comenity for the way it treats cardholders, yet people still apply for their cards.  Why?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it was a combination of BK in 2011 and co-branded card.  If they took a risk with you they would at least like for their partners to make some money.

You could have charged on the card at any store, not just the store whose name was on the card.  Comenity needs to start looking out more for their business partners.

As for me, I once had 12 Comenity cards while 3 were co-branded.  They never shut me down.  I got rid of 10 of their cards, including Camping World Visa.

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 Comenity store cards and the Williams Sonoma Visa.  All three were apped within a 1 week span and this was back in Oct.  All three have grown, knock on wood.

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity does not like inquiries. I only have the Boscov’s card which I hardly ever use. $3500 CL and I’m surprised Comenity hasn’t closed it with all my inquiries. 80 total. 30 on Ex, 30 on Eq, 20 on TU.
I agree that 2 inquiries is a lame reason to shut all your cards down. Synchrony handles it a lot better. At least you get a chance to keep the accounts open via their infamous blue envelopes. Comenity just reacts and that’s the end of it. In the long run maybe you’re better off, OP.
Message 14 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I believe people still app Comenity cards , despite their rep, because.they still want easy credit. It may come down to the "It wont happen to me" syndrome. Same reason why Sync still gets multi apps, when no one else will approve or give you credit that can grow quickly, some may be bound to throw caution to the wind. Just a thoughtSmiley Wink
Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Ever since I joined this forum, people have been trashing Comenity for the way it treats cardholders, yet people still apply for their cards. Why?"

I only recently started reading the forum, but for me Comenity was the first creditor to give me the time of day with a thin credit file. With FICOs in the middle 700s and no negatives, I got turned down by Discover and a couple of others before Comenity gave me a MC which got the ball rolling for me. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them thus far, but I worry about how often I read posts where AA was taken for mixing store credit with Comenity MCs/Visas.
I'm not one to look my nose down on them, I appreciate their willingness to take a chance on me and even with my Penfed Cash Rewards and US Bank Cash+ cards, I still prefer my Ulta MC from Comenity. If you shop at Ulta and know how to work their rewards system, the card nets a lot of value. Not knocking them, just concerned.
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Ever since I joined this forum, people have been trashing Comenity for the way it treats cardholders, yet people still apply for their cards.  Why?

Because they are easy to get when you are rebuilding and they grow pretty quickly.  Most everyone who has been shut down has gotten their visa/mastercard product after having store cards.  I have 3 of their store cards and haven't had any issues.  I got the J Crew and Pottery Barn to over 6k limits before I got bored with it.  

Message 17 of 29
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

This was my one and only open account with Comenity (see picture) I have accounts will most all major lenders have not missed an on-time paying to any accounts since 2004-05 when my business closed, yet AFTER Comenity approved me for an APR rate reduction, they closed a perfect record account. No other lender follow suit nor has any lender AA'd me since 2005. 

Comenity TW (2).JPG 

Message 18 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Was the APR review request initiated by you or automatically assigned to your account?
Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
No clue, just keep eye on your accounts. Paypal credit may soon become Synchrony so thatll be one less Comenity to worry aboutSmiley Wink

That's a good thing, because I still need to get around to calling to have Comenity finish shutting down my old Bill Me Later account as I've been interested for a while in possibly applying for the Paypal Mastercard down the line and I can't do that until the records are cleaned up. (That being said, I'm much more interested in the Marvel MC because of its good rewards on bookstore purchases.)  I only have one Comenity card - Overstock - and I see no reason to change that.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.