cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sign up bonus for applying for Amex Hilton Surpass if you already have Amex Hilton honors

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sign up bonus for applying for Amex Hilton Surpass if you already have Amex Hilton honors

If I already have the Amex Hilton Honors card can I app for the Surpass and get the sign up bonus and have both cards? Or do I have to wait for a targeted upgrade offer in order to get any points?

Given our plans over the next 18 months or so, the extra 150,000 pts on the Surpass would come in handy. And the $150 statement credit doesn't hurt either.

I see references online to people having two of the Hilton Amex cards at the same time, but I don't see anyway to do it.

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sign up bonus for applying for Amex Hilton Surpass if you already have Amex Hilton honors

Yes you can app for it rather than upgrade. Go to the Amex site but don't log in, and try that way. If that doesn't work, you can likely call in and app directly with them. I apped for Surpass when I didn't have an upgrade offer so it wasn't an issue for me but I'd try it one of those two ways and it should work.

Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sign up bonus for applying for Amex Hilton Surpass if you already have Amex Hilton honors

If you currently have the non-AF Hilton card and you've never had the Hilton Surpass card before, you can be eligible for that SUB.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any downside to doing this? I'm sitting at 2/24 and don't anticipate applying for any other cards for the foreseeable future. We might add a small car loan for our son sometime in the next 6 months but that's about it. Scores are between 780 - 800 and we are sort of just coasting along at this point not carrying any balances other than one small 0% offer.

Message 4 of 12
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any downside to doing this? I'm sitting at 2/24 and don't anticipate applying for any other cards for the foreseeable future. We might add a small car loan for our son sometime in the next 6 months but that's about it. Scores are between 780 - 800 and we are sort of just coasting along at this point not carrying any balances other than one small 0% offer.

I wouldn't think there is a downside. I passed a year last August and I am waiting for an upgrade offer since I don't want to have a second card. Someone mentioned it might be around year 2 for a SUB upgrade offer.

But if you don't mind another card, I don't see a downside. I'm unsure if an upgrade offer matches the SUB for a new card anyway.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrade SUB will not match a new app SUB. I think Surpass app SUB is around 150k points. Upgrade SUB would likely be 20-25k.

Message 6 of 12
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Upgrade SUB will not match a new app SUB. I think Surpass app SUB is around 150k points. Upgrade SUB would likely be 20-25k.

Wow, that's a bummer. I thought they'd give an upgrade SUB closer to 100k points.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that I've seen. It may be higher than 25k since MR SUBS seem to be in the 20-25k range but it won't equal a new app SUB.

Message 8 of 12
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not that I've seen. It may be higher than 25k since MR SUBS seem to be in the 20-25k range but it won't equal a new app SUB.

Back in June 2019, I upgraded my no annual fee Hilton to Ascend (Surpass) and was given a 150k point bonus.  I received the upgrade offer a little over 2 years after applying for the no fee card.  Spouse received the same offer.  We upgraded both cards and got 300k points with no hard inquiry.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I did not expect to hear that - great deal!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.