Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signature cards worth it?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Signature cards worth it?

Sure, it's worth it.  But, I certainly wouldn't expend any effort to get it.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

To me its worth it.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@subwaysandwich wrote:

Oh ok. So there are pretty much nothing but benefits to the visa signature/ World elite mastercard statuses now?

Yes, no downside, just, to my mind, very little upside.

The important thing to remember is that issuers can choose what benefits to provide, so a number of cards have "Sig/World" type benefits on their Platinum versions.

"If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?" - Vince Lombardi.

Well, once you upgrade (for free, mind you) to Visa Signature or whatnot, the cards report on the credit reports as Flexible Spending Credit Card. IE, its a different type of credit card (might help credit mix) and its a higher type of card. Does that matter to every company, or every scoring system? Maybe not. But it must mean something to someone, otherwise, why keep score?

As far as I'm concerned, the same thing goes for credit cards with $10,000 limit or more. Those are considered Premium Bankcard Accounts (at least thats what Transunion calls them). So if that doesn't matter to someone, someplace, for some reason or other... Why keep score?

OK, so it matters. It probably doesn't matter very much. But then, it didn't really cost anything to convert cards to Visa Signature. Getting cards up to $10K limit didn't cost anything except a few HP's for CLI's, and we probably wanted some of that increase anyways for personal reasons. So, why not?

Some signature cards give benefits like automatic extended warranties. Now I can't recall if I've ever used a warranty in my life, though I know people do use them (especially on laptops these days). Is getting a Signature card or whatnot worth the cost just for that benefit? Well, it doesn't really cost anything, so yes something is better than nothing, otherwise, why do they keep score?

PS: Packers/Seahawks game starts in 1.5 hours to start the NFL season. Go you Packers, Go!

Right, but not quite effortless in some cases.  For example, my Cap One QS with 33K limit is Plat.  Could I get it upgraded via the EO?  Very likely.  But since I see no gain and at least a tiny bit of effort, I don't bother.

Really? I recently (like within the last 2 months) got my old CapOne Platinum (that I've had since '99) converted to a QS and they voluntarily gave me the Siggy, and my limit is nowhere near your monstrous limit. Smiley Surprised

Message 13 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I have two cards that were old Plats (1999 and 2004).  Both changed over time, becoming Quicksilvers within a few months of each other.  The one with the lower limit became a Sig, the higher one didn't.  No idea why.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.