Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signing up for Union Bank pre-US Bank merger

tag
LADave
Established Contributor

Signing up for Union Bank pre-US Bank merger

In preparing to apply for the US Bank Altitude Reserve at some point in the future, I noticed that the card is only available for current US Bank customers. I'm (mostly) happy with my current accounts at Wells Fargo and Chase, but I would like to keep this US Bank card as an option in the future without having to jump through too many hoops (including minimum deposit requirements or monthly fees). And I understand they look more kindly upon current customers for their other cards anyway.

Knowing that Union Bank is merging with US Bank, I found out that Union Bank has accounts available (at least in California) with no minimum deposit/balance fees. It seems likely that will not change for those Union Bank accounts post-merger, or at least not right away.

So I went to my local Union Bank branch today with the intention of opening up a savings account, and left with both a savings and checking account (I didn't realize both had no minimum requirements). This gets my foot in the door, and seems likely to help me with applications for US Bank cards in the future. Fingers crossed!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
calisig
Regular Contributor

Re: Signing up for Union Bank pre-US Bank merger

If Altitude Reserve is the goal, instead of maintaining a checking account, another way to meet the US Bank customer requirement is to have another US Bank credit card. One option is the Cash+ card, which has no annual fee AND no customer requirement, but by being a Cash+ cardholder, you meet the customer requirement and thereby qualify for the Altitude Reserve.

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 2 of 3
LADave
Established Contributor

Re: Signing up for Union Bank pre-US Bank merger

@calisig wrote:

If Altitude Reserve is the goal, instead of maintaining a checking account, another way to meet the US Bank customer requirement is to have another US Bank credit card. One option is the Cash+ card, which has no annual fee AND no customer requirement, but by being a Cash+ cardholder, you meet the customer requirement and thereby qualify for the Altitude Reserve.

Ahh... I can't believe this didn't occur to me earlier! I'll probably keep the accounts for now, they could come in handy later. Thank you @calisig!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.