cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since I was a kid, I always wanted an AMEX...I need helping getting a BonVoy Brilliance AMEX

tag
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

Since I was a kid, I always wanted an AMEX...I need helping getting a BonVoy Brilliance AMEX

Good morning all, 

New memeber here...I am hoping to get some help.

I just did the pre approval on Amex's website, but they had no offers for me at this time.

according to Credit Karma I have a 693 and 697

The only blemish is a Ch 7 filed and discharged over a year ago.

annua income 80,000 a year.

What things can I do to help this process along?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Since I was a kid, I always wanted an AMEX...I need helping getting a BonVoy Brilliance AMEX

Nothing really. Scores aside, Amex won’t touch you until your BK is in the mirror by five years and a month.

Those scores from CK don’t count - they’re not FICO scores and as such aren’t used by lenders. Keep CK to watch your reports but disregard the scores. Get your FICO scores at www.creditchecktotal.com for $1, and cancel within seven days to avoid being auto billed $30/month for a subscription. Post back up with scores and details and we can help you chart a course.
Message 2 of 59
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Since I was a kid, I always wanted an AMEX...I need helping getting a BonVoy Brilliance AMEX

Hello and WelcomeSmiley Happy. Amex will not grant you any card until you are least 5 years plus post discharge and possibly more if you burned them. If you never included Amex in a bk or a chargeoff, try again in 5 years or so. @pizza1 can give the more specific date so you can plan ahead. Again welcome to the forumSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fresh BK = no soup for you 

As noted 5 years is the benchmark for Amex and some other lenderss.  Some lenders need a year and others 3 years but, it's slim pickings until it ages some more.

If you head into the rebuilding section here there's plenty of threads and people willing to help with more specific situations.

Message 4 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gosh, i didn't even know about Amex until I was 23 or give or take. So to think there are people have wanted it since they were a kid, man was I out of the loop. lol 

Message 5 of 59
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Sorry but I do agree I heard it is over 5 years after the BK I don't have experience with this but I do remember reading it here Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is 61 months until Amex will approve.
Message 7 of 59
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

I see, so 61 months from discharge

What about chase’s Bonvoy card?

Are they as strict?
Message 8 of 59
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As a standard UW practice, Chase will not approve any BK profiles until BK is off CRs.

There's been very few examples of individuals being able to overturn a denial, but those are fairly rare these days.
Message 9 of 59
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

Dang so I’m pretty much SOL on both fronts
Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.