cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since I was a kid, I always wanted an AMEX...I need helping getting a BonVoy Brilliance AMEX

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Since I was a kid, I always wanted an AMEX...I need helping getting a BonVoy Brilliance AMEX

For AmEx, Chase...and Citi, yes. There are alternatives, though, since there's a variety of BK-friendly lenders.

Did you burn any particular ones in your BK?
Message 11 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Since I was a kid, I always wanted an AMEX...I need helping getting a BonVoy Brilliance AMEX

Just to clarify, it’s 5 years, 1 month (aka 61 months) from file date.....unless you have a bad history etc with Amex. 

Message 12 of 59
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@MichaelWoodland wrote:
Dang so I’m pretty much SOL on both fronts

But then again, I wouldn't feel bad. There's nothing special about having an AMEX in your wallet anymore, unless you want Centurion Lounge access or to participate in their Fine Hotels program (or whatever it's called). 

In particular, there's definitely nothing special about any of the Bonvoy cards... Weak earning rates all around considering the average value of a Marriott property is less than half a cent each (and you won't earn a ton of points with the card). The yearly free room is limited as well. 

I would say a rewards card with a credit union you have a relationship with is better for you. 

Message 13 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get one of those Credit One Amex cards lol. Not a true Amex, but you can cruise up and down on their payment network and have their logo on a card until you can get a real Amex.

Sorry, we were going back and forth on another thread about C1 Amex and how it might cheapen their brand.

Message 14 of 59
Jkrause702
Regular Contributor

I'm no expert but I'd suspect that Ch7 is much too recent for Amex. 

Message 15 of 59
Jkrause702
Regular Contributor

@MichaelWoodland wrote:
I see, so 61 months from discharge

What about chase’s Bonvoy card?

Are they as strict?

Chase is easily as strict, if not in some cases more strict than Amex.

Message 16 of 59
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Chase blacklists for 10 years after BK. You can get a car loan after 1.

Message 17 of 59
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

BofA and Disco
Message 18 of 59
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

The Bonvoy card is good for me because it brings my status up with the comp nights
Message 19 of 59
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

Could my in-laws get the card and add me as a user?
Message 20 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.