cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since I was a kid, I always wanted an AMEX...I need helping getting a BonVoy Brilliance AMEX

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: A little help, need Marriott status Gold or better

Welcome. AMEX if they werent burned. 5yrs 1 month. What you want isnt going to happen. Need scores and what accounts you presently have. The big boys are out of reach with a BK on your report being a year out.

Message 31 of 59
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Im afraid @FireMedic1 is right. Chase will auto decline you till BK is off your reports, and Amex will be 5 yrs plus 1 mo post DC IF you didn't burn them in your BK. Citibank, if you didn't burn them could be 4-7 yrs post DC.

Im over 6 yrs post DC, and I burned Citbank, and I just finally got back in with their Coscto Visa. Its a long road.

Im afraid there are no other options at this point for you except maybe just a travel card like Venture with Capital one. Especially being 1 yr out post BK...wont happen. Sorry
Message 32 of 59
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Since I was a kid, I always wanted an AMEX...I need helping getting a BonVoy Brilliance AMEX

OP, this is actually a somewhat double post from you, as you have virtually the same thread in the BK section.

Ill answer again...there is zero chance of you obtaining any cards from Chase, Citi, or Amex being 1 yr post BK. It just doesn't happen. Amex is 5 yrs plus 1 mo post BK DC IF you didn't burn them, Chase won't approve till BK is off reports, Citi is 4-7 yrs post DC even if they were burned.

Message 33 of 59
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Since I was a kid, I always wanted an AMEX...I need helping getting a BonVoy Brilliance AMEX

@Credit_hawk wrote:
I think it’s funny the way you worded that. ‘Only blemish I have is a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.’ It’s the worst thing you can have on your credit report 😂

"Other than being a known felon, I have a clean criminal record."

Message 34 of 59
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to clarify, it’s 5 years, 1 month (aka 61 months) from file date.....unless you have a bad history etc with Amex. 

OP - As you wait for 61 months from file date, you have an opportunity to rebuild your file. I recall there was a thread in the BK forum on getting a 700+ FICO score within 24 months (without excessive inquiries, HPs, denials or store cards)--it's a process and it takes patience.

Perhaps the best thing you can do for yourself in the interim is be highly conservative with your credit seeking and use (if that can get you in trouble) and focus on other areas of finance--increase income, savings, retirement and/or reduce excessive spending.

These are all my opinions (😇), but there is no harm in making your monetary standing as strong as your credit standing. 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 35 of 59
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi there OP. I have merged your two separate threads on this into this one here in the CC forum. Please refrain from cross posting on same subjects as it can lead to confusion of the members and is not inline with our TOS. Thanks for you understanding
Message 36 of 59
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

The venture card would actually work. Since despite wanting Marriott status, I really would like to spend less on flights.

As of right now I only have the mortgage and one capital one credit card with nothing on it
Message 37 of 59
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

Didn’t burn Amex

So I’ll wait them out
Message 38 of 59
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Got to wait until 5+ years has passed. Pretty firm date for AX. After 5 years the floodgates will open as long as your rebuild is clean. No new lates or other baddies. Trust me I have been there.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 39 of 59
MichaelWoodland
Established Member

I agree I’ve been doing great

What happened with my finances is I went from 180,000 down to 30,000 per year

So now I have two jobs

Wife can’t work too sick

Living our best lives.

Thanks for all the helping
Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.