tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Slightly annoyed with myself

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Something doesn't add up.  If you have other $12k cards why are you apping for C1?  How long is your history?  How many cards have you opened in the last 12 months?  What is your income?  You mentioned your UTI was high and that you've applied for a lot of credit.  What is your total line at and what is your total balance?

I have one card at 12K and it’s a synchrony card so actual bank cards my highest is 11K and it’s American Express. I wanted a Mastercard and I got in the prequal page the platinum and the Quicksilver1 because of my high inquiries. My highest utilization at this time is 60% on one single card but that’s been for a little under a month but it did report. As far as number of new accounts I have probably 8 new accounts plus my auto loans so that’s also hurting. My history is about 4 years however I’ve closed cards along the way and I would say my AAoA is somewhere along 1.5 years. Not a single late payment or any kind of derog. Income is about 78K a year. I was gardening and got about two months in with plans of going all the way to a year but I’m impatient as others have put it and apped for this one instead of my dream the DC. I didn’t get the Quicksilver1 because I heard that platinum upgrades easier to the Quicksilver. I expected at least 1.5K of a limit but got a limit that suggests it was barely approved. 

You got a limit that everyone gets for a starter card. The platinum is a rebuilder card. That’s why. Don’t take it personally. Everyone who gets that card gets a bad starting limit. I’d think you could qualify for the Quicksilver visa right off the bat. 

Thank you for telling me about that. Unfortunately I didn’t get the prequal for the Quicksilver and because of that decided to not app. I guess I should of just taken a shot at it to begin with but live and learn. I am really thinking that I will probably just close this account as it does nothing for me. 

You sure can close it if you like. You could also build it fairly quickly into a Quicksilver. Use it some for three months and PC it into a Quicksilver. It is the easiest card around to product change. I had that card and turned it into a Quicksilver in three months. Especially since you got the triple HP hit to get it. It’s up to you which route you go. Good luck whatever decision you try, it is all about you and what you would like to do.

Message 21 of 49
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Something doesn't add up.  If you have other $12k cards why are you apping for C1?  How long is your history?  How many cards have you opened in the last 12 months?  What is your income?  You mentioned your UTI was high and that you've applied for a lot of credit.  What is your total line at and what is your total balance?

I have one card at 12K and it’s a synchrony card so actual bank cards my highest is 11K and it’s American Express. I wanted a Mastercard and I got in the prequal page the platinum and the Quicksilver1 because of my high inquiries. My highest utilization at this time is 60% on one single card but that’s been for a little under a month but it did report. As far as number of new accounts I have probably 8 new accounts plus my auto loans so that’s also hurting. My history is about 4 years however I’ve closed cards along the way and I would say my AAoA is somewhere along 1.5 years. Not a single late payment or any kind of derog. Income is about 78K a year. I was gardening and got about two months in with plans of going all the way to a year but I’m impatient as others have put it and apped for this one instead of my dream the DC. I didn’t get the Quicksilver1 because I heard that platinum upgrades easier to the Quicksilver. I expected at least 1.5K of a limit but got a limit that suggests it was barely approved. 

You got a limit that everyone gets for a starter card. The platinum is a rebuilder card. That’s why. Don’t take it personally. Everyone who gets that card gets a bad starting limit. I’d think you could qualify for the Quicksilver visa right off the bat. 

Thank you for telling me about that. Unfortunately I didn’t get the prequal for the Quicksilver and because of that decided to not app. I guess I should of just taken a shot at it to begin with but live and learn. I am really thinking that I will probably just close this account as it does nothing for me. 

You sure can close it if you like. You could also build it fairly quickly into a Quicksilver. Use it some for three months and PC it into a Quicksilver. It is the easiest card around to product change. I had that card and turned it into a Quicksilver in three months. Especially since you got the triple HP hit to get it. It’s up to you which route you go. Good luck whatever decision you try, it is all about you and what you would like to do.

So quick question. Since you essentially did what I plan to do if I keep it. What limit did they start you at and what limit are you at now with it? Also how long did it take you to get to that limit. Thank you. 

As of 11/28/2018
Message 22 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's important to understand though that a PC on a CO product doesn't "change" anything with respect to the original account.  If it was born a "starter" account, it will forever be a starter account.  I started out with a CO Platinum and did a PC to the QS after a year or so and while you recieve the benefits of the QS, the account itself is still viewed as a "starter" account and will not grow any faster with the QS PC than if it was still a Platinum.

Message 23 of 49
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

OP, out of curiosity, what's the APR on this card?

Message 24 of 49
arkane
Established Contributor

You took a triple pull, might as well keep it then PC it to something better down the road and see what happens.

Also I know Citi DC is 2% CB everything but without a signup bonus it's really nothing special, and gets handily beaten by Alliant's Visa Platinum Rewards. Also Barclays Uber technically gets a 2% base rate on the first $5000 in annual spending IF you have a qualifying music/video streaming subscription (Pandora/Spotify/Netflix/Hulu) OR Amazon Prime membership that you can apply the $50 statement credit towards.

I'm biased against cards that don't have a SUB though. Smiley Wink Only way it might be remotely worth my time is if it had something like 10% CB on everything, or unlimited 5% CB for churning, neither of which exist (anymore).

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 25 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So quick question. Since you essentially did what I plan to do if I keep it. What limit did they start you at and what limit are you at now with it? Also how long did it take you to get to that limit. Thank you. 

I started with a $300 limit when I was rebuilding in the summer of 2015. Turned it into a quicksilver like 3 or four months later. Got a tiny $200 automatic cli at six months. Next six months I applied for another cli, went to $750. Next six months $1500. Next six mo this $2500. And my income is only 25k a year. You may be able to go much quicker than me. My next six months is co int up. This time I’m guessing I’ll get to 5k... every six months you can get a cli. Just use the card each month. I know this may seem slow seeing as you have high limit cards. But at least it gives you something for that triple pull, you could also PC it into a venture instead if that floats your boat. Hope this info helps you.

Message 26 of 49
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

OP, out of curiosity, what's the APR on this card?

A ridiculous 24.99 lol 

As of 11/28/2018
Message 27 of 49
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's important to understand though that a PC on a CO product doesn't "change" anything with respect to the original account.  If it was born a "starter" account, it will forever be a starter account.  I started out with a CO Platinum and did a PC to the QS after a year or so and while you recieve the benefits of the QS, the account itself is still viewed as a "starter" account and will not grow any faster with the QS PC than if it was still a Platinum.

I didn’t know that they label you even after the PC. What did they cap you at if you don’t mind me asking? 

As of 11/28/2018
Message 28 of 49
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@arkane wrote:

You took a triple pull, might as well keep it then PC it to something better down the road and see what happens.

Also I know Citi DC is 2% CB everything but without a signup bonus it's really nothing special, and gets handily beaten by Alliant's Visa Platinum Rewards. Also Barclays Uber technically gets a 2% base rate on the first $5000 in annual spending IF you have a qualifying music/video streaming subscription (Pandora/Spotify/Netflix/Hulu) OR Amazon Prime membership that you can apply the $50 statement credit towards.

With my inquiries and new accounts Barclays won’t touch me for at least a year if I’m lucky lol

As of 11/28/2018
Message 29 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not nessesarily. All depends what bucket they put you in originally. Mine I’ve had APR reductions and havent yet been denied a cli at every six month mark. Once when I forgot they automatically gave me one at the six month mark. You can. Build up a card good from the starter card. And yes some people don’t. But sometimes it’s just because they don’t put enough spending into the card to trigger the good cli’s

Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.