cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartest way to pay down 2 promo balances that expire at the same time ?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Smartest way to pay down 2 promo balances that expire at the same time ?

Ok guys, 

On my Lowe's card I have 2 purchases that expire in 2022 at the same time. 

One is double the amount of the other. 

They are accumulating interest (deferred) until paid in full before expiration of the offer. You know the drill.. You are charged the whole deferred interest if you don't pay in full before expiration. 

So, since you can call and request to allocate the payment you will be doing monthly to either of the two balances, which one do you allocate the balance to in order to pay quicker just before they both expire? 

If one is going to pay both before they expire, then it makes no difference, but one never knows and I like to be prepared for all scenarios. 

If you don't call and just make a pymt online, they allocate it 70% to higher balance and 30% to smaller balance. 

I am more inclined to allocate all the payment to the higher balance so it accrues less interest. Or what about paying the smaller balance so it gets paid of quicker? 

Insights are welcome. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Smartest way to pay down 2 promo balances that expire at the same time ?

I have a similar situation with Home Depot on DW's card.  I figured how much I need to pay each month to pay off larger amount before interest accrues. I pay double that amount each month.

Payments are set up so that each promo gets 50% of the amount paid each month. Obviously the smaller amount will be paid off earlier than the larger promo and at that time the entire monthly payment will go to the larger promo balance which means it will be paid off before the promo ends.

If I am "short" on funds after the first promo is paid off I can lower the monthly payment but the larger amount will still be paid before the promo ends because of the way I originally set up the payment amount. 

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 2 of 4
mich800
Regular Contributor

If there is a chance you cannot not pay them both off.  I would think paying off at least one would be the most logical.  I would say prioritize the larger one.

Message 3 of 4
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would explore all my options to do a balance transfer.

I just got a SunTrust card that is 3.49% for 36 months.

FNBO offers 4.99% for life of balance.

Tons of cards offer 0-2% for 12-24 months.

A $5000 promo balance with Lowe's can easily accrue $1000-$2000 in interest!!!

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.