cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Diid I Make A Good Deal? (Marriott Pts. Booking)

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

So Diid I Make A Good Deal? (Marriott Pts. Booking)

Since I'm debating whether I'm going to keep my Marriott Bonvoy Biz card (SPG) past Oct. 2020--I decided to use some of my 100k + pts. to book a 2 night stay at a Courtyard facility in No. Carolina in about 2 weeks. The room goes for about $89 per night + tax--and I used 25k pts (no cash out) for the booking. The way I figure it probably came out to about .8cpp. As the title says--did I get good value out of the pts. I used?

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: So Diid I Make A Good Deal? (Marriott Pts. Booking)

Good value or deal doesn’t matter to anyone else.  If you are happy with the redemption that is all that matters.

Enjoy your two night stay.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 12
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Good value or deal doesn’t matter to anyone else.  If you are happy with the redemption that is all that matters.

Enjoy your two night stay.

Thanks redpat. I'm fine with the redemption. It's just with reading so much recently about the devaluation of SPG pts. since last year--I'm figuring I might not have done bad seeing as how most people here on the forum are saying the points are now only worth about roughly .5 or .6cpp when making hotel reservations. That was one of the things leading me away from keeping the card when the 2020 AF rolls around.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 3 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Are you happy with the reward? Will you enjoy the trip? Rewards are always a bonus, so a free 2 night stay is a free 2 night stay and if it's what you wanted, the "value" is irrelevant. It's the personal value to you that matters.

Message 4 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I would be quite happy to get 0.8 cents per point for Marriott. I've accumulated a lot of points through various Amex promos and don't stay there often enough to be particularly picky about my redemptions.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 12
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

Since I'm debating whether I'm going to keep my Marriott Bonvoy Biz card (SPG) past Oct. 2020--I decided to use some of my 100k + pts. to book a 2 night stay at a Courtyard facility in No. Carolina in about 2 weeks. The room goes for about $89 per night + tax--and I used 25k pts (no cash out) for the booking. The way I figure it probably came out to about .8cpp. As the title says--did I get good value out of the pts. I used?

@Credit-hoarder At 0.008cpp you didn't to bad.  Considering that you earn 2x Marriott points per dollar on non category spend that would net you a point value of 0.008*2 (0.016 per dollar spent) and if you earn those points in the bonus category of 4x then you did even better at 0.008*4 (0.03 per dollar spent).  

Like others have said...as long as you feel good about the redemption then that's all that matters...but that aside you still did alright.  Enjoy your stay!

Message 6 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The pleasure/practicality value of a room can be much greater than its cash price.

But if I said I wanted to redeem 300k Marriott points for one night at a $150 Fairfield Inn in the middle of nowhere...but that I felt good about it...I would hope no one would tell me that was all that matters!

Message 7 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

The pleasure/practicality value of a room can be much greater than its cash price.

But if I said I wanted to redeem 300k Marriott points for one night at a $150 Fairfield Inn in the middle of nowhere...but that I felt good about it...I would hope no one would tell me that was all that matters!

You would get smiles and nods from me. 

Kind of like how I smile and nod when my ex buys horses.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont see how people value Marriott points at .5cpp. My worst redemption this year was 1.5 cpp. I got over 2cpp for a 5 night stay in Aruba. To get most value stay 5 nights as 5th night is free on award bookings.

I got .8 cpp. for Hilton though.

25k points aren't much so I wouldn't worry about getting low value.

Message 9 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I dont see how people value Marriott points at .5cpp. My worst redemption this year was 1.5 cpp. I got over 2cpp for a 5 night stay in Aruba. To get most value stay 5 nights as 5th night is free on award bookings.

I got .8 cpp. for Hilton though.

25k points aren't much so I wouldn't worry about getting low value.

A few years ago I had some fall/winter revenue stays in NYC that, had I booked them as award nights, would have been around 0.4 cpp.

40k-45k points for a room that could be $175 after tax.

So if you don't travel much but want to go to NYC in the off-season...

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.