cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, I was hit with an unauthorized charge for the first time...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So, I was hit with an unauthorized charge for the first time...

@JB2 wrote:

Actually about a year ago or so I got a text message on my phone saying my debit card had been comprimised.  With Chase!  I figured it was a spam text so I ignored it.  About 5 minutes later I had a call from a number that I didn't recognize, it was not the number on the back of my card so I didn't answer it.  I called chase myself and told them what was going on.  They looked up my account and said Yes someone else tried to use my number and it was under investigation.  They said no charges would be made and to not worry about it.  They told me to continue to use my card as normal but that they would be sending me a new card with a new number.  I changed my passwords, and when I logged into my account there was no sign of any kind of fraud.  I never heard anything about it again.  I asked them who tried to use it and where and they told me they couldn't give me any information and that it was all being investigated.  I give chase credit for being on the ball with that.  I just went on vacation a month ago and I was using my debit card and was getting texts from chase asking if I made these purchases, then my wife was getting them too. 

I think it's very unusual that Chase would not tell you a thing about it or at least where it had been used. When it happened to me with Barclaycard for $1,200 (3 separate charges), they went over it all with me on the phone. I was glad they did.

Message 11 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not want all of those constant text messages, especially while on vacation. I don't text and maybe it's because I want to claim part of my life away from electronics and not have things coming at me constantly. I check my accounts daily and have e-mail alerts set up, but getting constant texts to verify transactions for ALL of my credit cards would drain me by having to receive and look at all of that.

Maybe a 20 year old person who texts all day long would not care, but I reserve the right to not be bombarded by constant texts, especialyl from businesses.

Message 12 of 34
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

I always have abnormal charges like that n ALL my chase accounts and US Bank. No other card has it happen as frequently or really at all.

They must have horrible security or something at Chase.

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 13 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, so last night, I couldn't sleep. Sunrises can be a little slow.

Received a phone call this morning, did the song and dance, and she said I would get a new card within 3-5 days. When I hung up, because I was so rattled about this, I didn't bother to recheck the phone number to make sure it was legit! She had my personal info, but she asked me my email as well (not username or password, but...)!

I have 2-step verification on my email account, so I'm not concerned that (if the call was not legit) that they would go much further. Changed all of my passwords last night as well. And no SSN info was asked, so there's that. She also made me aware of two other previous pending charges that have been there for a few days (which are legit, I had been tracking them), so I feel slightly more sure that it was legit.

Checked back at the email and webpage provided to look at the security certificate, and it checks out fine. Nevertheless, I called at the back of my card because, by then, I was already nearly crying over my oversight--anxiety issues and a lack of sleep will do that to you, heh...

This CSR tells me that, indeed, my card had been compromised, and confirmed that the account had been blocked and that they were not overnighting the card, that it would arrive in 3-5 days (which also eases me, as the woman said they were sending it via regular mail and gave the same timeframe).

Regardless, I'm the world's biggest worrywart, so I requested a fraud alert on my CRs. I don't know what to do with myself now. What else can I do to protect myself? Had a good cry, I think I'll try and get some sleep, finally...

Thanks for warning me about the passwords, though, I hadn't thought about it until some of you said so!

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
It was a Chase card...unbelievable.

Why is it unbelievable?

Sarcasm. Seems as though 90% of the fraud posts are Chase cards. I wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole. It appears to not be a matter of if you get compromised, but rather WHEN you will get compromised.

Message 15 of 34
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Chase has been great for us when it comes to unauthroized charges. When it happened on my debit card, they froze the account and overnighted me a new card. I was in college and had limited funds already so they were able to release replacement funds before they cleared off the bad transaction.

Something similar happened on my gf's CSP. They called her, cleared it all up and then overnighted her new cards (for her and me as AU). It even came with this envelope to mail the old cards back to be destroyed.

About 6 months into having my Amex, someone was able to run ~$1300 through a Starbucks a few states away. My limit at the time was only $1k and the card was half full before they started, I was suprosed Amex let it go that far over the limit. It took them what seemed like forever to drop the charges off (7-10 days). It posted to my reports as over the limit. Eventually they went back and fixed that, but I was suprised it was such a hassle given Amex's track record with such things.

QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 16 of 34
onstar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why is it unbelievable?

Sarcasm. Seems as though 90% of the fraud posts are Chase cards. I wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole. It appears to not be a matter of if you get compromised, but rather WHEN you will get compromised.

Huh??

I see fraud proportionally across all banks. If you use your card, then chances are, you will get compromised.

One of my Chase cards was compromised earlier this year too. Why? Because I used it. I paid for parking in downtown LA with a Chase card. My cousin met me there and she paid for her parking with her Amex. Something funny was going on with that CC terminal at that lot because (1) the $5 charge didn't post until 30 days later and (2) both my Chase card and my cousin's Amex were compromised a couple days after the posting. Don't think they were coincidence. Point being the cards that get used get compromised. Simple as that.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 17 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why is it unbelievable?

Huh??

I see fraud proportionally across all banks. If you use your card, then chances are, you will get compromised.

One of my Chase cards was compromised earlier this year too. Why? Because I used it. I paid for parking in downtown LA with a Chase card. My cousin met me there and she paid for her parking with her Amex. Something funny was going on with that CC terminal at that lot because (1) the $5 charge didn't post until 30 days later and (2) both my Chase card and my cousin's Amex were compromised a couple days after the posting. Don't think they were coincidence. Point being the cards that get used get compromised. Simple as that.

Right, cards that get used can be compromised, either at swipe time or from a merchant's systems.  In the worst case, it can be stolen from the issuer so even non-use isn't a guarantee.

It's a common thing (and maybe EMV will reduce some non-online stuff), really not worth getting upset about.   If you go out with cash, you might be pickpocketed or mugged, and this is better as you get the money back.   It's not identify theft,  just a minor inconveniece (and not even that if you have several cards)

Message 18 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not want all of those constant text messages, especially while on vacation. I don't text and maybe it's because I want to claim part of my life away from electronics and not have things coming at me constantly. I check my accounts daily and have e-mail alerts set up, but getting constant texts to verify transactions for ALL of my credit cards would drain me by having to receive and look at all of that.

Maybe a 20 year old person who texts all day long would not care, but I reserve the right to not be bombarded by constant texts, especialyl from businesses.

And I'm just the opposite. I am happily switching from Barclay to Citi (A+ to DC) for non-category spend because Barclay doesn't have the text alerts that work for me. I will begrudgingly still use SM, but it really messes with my system not to see when DH charges something. It's the little things that make something work just right, and for me it's being able to see a record of charges in my texts. Smiley Happy 

ETA: And I've hit 20 a couple times. Smiley Wink 

Message 19 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

. I am happily switching from Barclay to Citi (A+ to DC) for non-category spend because Barclay doesn't have the text alerts that work for me. I will begrudgingly still use SM, but it really messes with my system not to see when DH charges something.

Tortoise - I'm not sure how long ago you checked, but Barclay's DOES have immediate text alerts as an opiton if you sign up for it. I just choose not to and don't want to be barraged by texts all day long from multiple credit card companies.

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.