cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Now That I Closed Cards What Do I Do???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So Now That I Closed Cards What Do I Do???

So as some of you know from some post I closed a few cards as seen below:

First Premier $700 SL

Credit One $800 SL

Capital One $700 (Really I combined it into a QS1 card to keep from having 2 AF)

Credit One $450
Avant $300
Indigo $300

I closed them all within the last month, knowing I may take a hit but in the long run it will serve me better.

I also opened a lot, and I mean a LOT of cards, totaling about 50 inquiries over the 3 CR Smiley Surprised Yes and some were dumb inquiries, some were mistakes (CLI request, Cards I wouldn't get approved for like Chase because of 5/24 and etc)

The cards I have that I actually use are listed below, with approx dates they were opened. Next to them I was told these rules apply for CLI and want to verify though you all if possible before I start applying for CLI. I am not doing any more applying for cards until March 2019, only if my NFCU card becomes unsecured, I will apply for a GoRewards. Other then that I am in the garden for 8 months. I gave up on the Chase cards as I know it will be hard to pass up applying for 5 cards in 2 years as it is a lot of Amex, Citi and Barclay cards I want when I see those Sign Ups lol. Anywho other then this, does anyone have any advice, other than "stop applying and garden" as that is already the plan.

Discover IT $1.1k (Sept 2018) I heard CLI is a SP, Can be done after 91 days, then every 61 days?

Amex HH (Sept 2018) I heard CLI is a SP, Can be done after 61 days, then every 6 months if approved or 91 days if denied?

Amex DeltaBlue $1k (Sept 2018) Same as the Hilton Honors Card or any Amex card I get in future?

Citi Best Buy Visa $2k (July 2018) I heard CLI is a HP, So I will not apply if it is and just let them do Auto.

NFCU nRewards Secured $500 (Sept 2018) I heard after 6 months they graduate to unsecure with $2k limit (The limit will never go up so you will have to apply for new card or PC to a diff card but both result in a HP?

PayPal MC $300 (Sept 2018) I heard CLI is a SP and can be done after 91 days, don't forget to double dip?

Capital One QS1 $1.55k (2012) I have been with them and know that this is every 6 months if approved, they only increase by $100 for me, I am in the bucket with them. My first card unsecured but took 5 years. The card I got in 2017 unsecured before the 1 i got in 2012. I increased limit on both 1 time and then combined, but since I combined last month I have to wait another 6 months to get a increase. I hope it is more than $100 or it will go in the sock drawer with the rest of the cards.

Merrick Bank $1.4k (Aug 2018) I applied for double up and they gave me a $700 limit, then doubled it in Sept. I think it was a mistake because it said in 6 months. Other than this increase do they give increases at all? I can't find anything? I don't think I will grow this card as it has an AF like the others I have already cancelled but I thought I seen someonewhere I can get a no AF version with time. Is CLI SP or HP? 

USAA Classic Amex $500 (Aug 2018) I was told by USAA that this card doesn't ever have a higher limit. It is there starter unsecured card to get you going to build credit. If so, I will prob close this as well at some point. I can't remember if it had and AF. I believe it did of $29

The rest of my cards are in the Sock Drawer and are in my signature. I will use the wayfair card maybe to get new furniture next year. I heard they are pretty liberal with the limits on that card and it can grow fast for more UTI cushion. I used the NTB card and Shell Card for gas up until I got the Amex Hilton. The home depot card I will prob only use for the 0% financing if I need to get something for the house. I heard to use every now and then as that limit will grow fast as well. Walmart I have used and paid off multiple times as it was one of my first cards last year along with target. Both have low limits and never increased me, no matter how I used them so I think I will only use them when it makes sense for the 5% off. Belk and JC Penny will probably cancel soon. I don't know if I should cancel them or just let them cancel on there own for non-use as they have no AF so it helps AOA especially since I got all the store cards primarily last year November and December lol.

Eventually the cards I want are PenFed Pathfinder | NFCU Visa Signature - GoRewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserved - World of Hyatt - Marriott Rewards | Amex SPG - Platinum Charge Card - Hilton Honors Aspire | Citi AAdvantage Platinum | Barclay JetBlue - Alaska Airlines |

I know I can't get Chase until I got 24 months without getting more 5 or more cards. I was thinking starting now I can still get the NFCU Visa Signature, JetBlue and Citi AA. 

What are your thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: So Now That I Closed Cards What Do I Do???

Now it is time to garden. Do not apply for any credit that you do not absolutely need. Request CLI when it is only a SP. See if you can get your APRs reduced. Pay your accounts in full and on time. Let your accounts age. If you do not have an emergency fund, it is time to start one. Your goal is to have enough money to pay your bills for three months without a source of income. Aside from that, I would just garden and grow what you have.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 9
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

You have so many new cards over the last year or so, LOL. I don't think I'm qualified to provide advice but if you want my two cents, I would beg of you to garden for a while. A long while. I can't tell if you're building or rebuilding your credit but either way, you've made one heck of a sprint over the last few months. Feel good about that... then a take breather Smiley Wink

Wishing you the best and good luck next year on the NFCU card!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, you suggested that the closing of a bunch of your cards may result in a score drop. That's not the case and in fact the exact opposite is true. The only thing that will/is dropping your scores now is the opening of many new accounts.
Message 4 of 9
kiea
Frequent Contributor

My score dropped 23-30 points because I opened 6 cards in a year.  It took 3-6 months to get my points back.  I definitely won't do that again.  

You will also have to deal with being tagged with 'too many new accounts' when applying for a new card.  I guess you will be in the garden for a while too but congratulations on your approvals.

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 5 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Garden until your youngest account is a year old. That'll give your cards a chance to age, and your inquiries will become unscorable. At that time, your report should be working for you rather than against you.

After that, stick to applying for one card every six months. After a year of this, the big hoard of inquiries will have dropped. And scorable and unscorable inquiries will both be greatly reduced. After this second year, you should be under 5/24 and can consider Chase cards.

Off the top of my head, I think you have the CLI information correct. I'll add that an AMEX CLI resets the clock for all cards, so start by requesting on the card with the higher limit. Discover really doesn't have any rules. I'd request after your third statement. Then I'd try 60 days after that. If that's a no-go, try again in another 30 days.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely garden! I have opened 10 cards this year and my score has tanked about 15-20 points. You need to at least let your accounts age for a year then maybe get another card. If you apply now, you will most likely get denied for "too many new accounts".

Message 7 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would agree with gardening for at least two years.  Secondly work on getting your credit scores over 700. You will get better credit limits with better credit scores and credit report.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

You do NOTHING.  Seriously.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.