Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So about Capital one.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So about Capital one.

I’ve been reading through this forums for the past couple days, and I’ve noticed something.

There’s a good amount of hate towards capital one. I get the 3 pull hate. I think it’s dumb, but it’s much more than that.

I feel like the biggest reason for hating capital one is their cards are considered “SubPrime” here. And the rewards are not good compared to other credit cards. I get people here like to maximize their rewards, I just read a post from someone that said his ideal lineup is a 7 card team... one for every category, that’s a bit way to extreme in MY opinion. I couldn’t imagine handling so many cards and remembering which go where and stuff like that.

I’m very new to the credit game I’ve only got my first credit card 2 years ago, a capital one secured credit card. That card helped me build my scores up to a 720 all across the 3 Bureaus. After I applied for a QS1 and got approved for a 500 limit.. (if a college student working part time so my income is low) I actually regret going on a App spree of cards that I didn’t need like the Gap, PP extras, which are closed, and recently the discover, Amex PRG, Amex EVD, all cards that didn’t need I just wanted for the sake of it... right now I’m in the proces of getting rid of some of the cards and hopefully I can end up with 3-4 cards. So enough about my story.

Back to capital one;
I feel Capital one is geared towards people like me, minimalist who want to keep everything under one app and have simple rewards and simple redeeming options. People that don’t want to over complicate things and just want a simple card.

Ive been thinking lately about my finances and realized that most of my spending is in dinning amazon and that’s about it. After noticing that I came up with the conclusion that FOR ME my perfect combination and one that I want to have is:
(Need)Savor: 3% dining 2% groceries

Venture: 2x in everything else. (Daily)

Amazon Prime Visa: 5% Amazon

(Investment account) Fidelity Rewards: 2% bills ( I like having my bills separate from my daily expenses.)

To me that’s my perfect Combo, simple yet rewarding, I can easily get $100 cash back on bills alone.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So about Capital one.

Capital One has its targeted market just like every other lender. They’ve been solid for me, during rebuild and after.

Once your profile has established a foundation, HP are not that big of deal. I’ve seen some complain that the 3 HP for one card is not worth it, yet will go on a app denial spree and think nothing of it (only upset that they didn’t get any of the 5 cards they were denied for, no mention of the 5+ wasted HP.)

I‘m only speculating, but I think a lot of the hate comes from not getting CLI because one “thinks” they deserve it. But I see that mindset with other cards/lenders as well.

Others may have simply outgrown them. 

Message 2 of 49
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One has its targeted market just like every other lender. They’ve been solid for me, during rebuild and after.

Once your profile has established a foundation, HP are not that big of deal. I’ve seen some complain that the 3 HP for one card is not worth it, yet will go on a app denial spree and think nothing of it (only upset that they didn’t get any of the 5 cards they were denied for, no mention of the 5+ wasted HP.)

I‘m only speculating, but I think a lot of the hate comes from not getting CLI because one “thinks” they deserve it. But I see that mindset with other cards/lenders as well.

+1 - This exactly ^^^.

@Anonymous, how much spending do you plan on doing with your Venture? 

The cut-off for maximizing rewards is roughly $20k/year... if you're planning on spending less than that in a year you'd likely be better off with a Quicksilver (this is assuming you don't get the Venture's AF waived).

That said, assuming you don't have either yet you would probably want to apply for the Venture (in either case) for the sign-up bonus, then have it product changed to a Quicksilver before the first AF is due if your anticipated spending won't reach $20k in a year (that's what I did).

(This only addresses your desire to get a Venture... I'll leave the discussion of other options - like using the Fidelity Visa 2% for all non-category spending - to other people.)

Message 3 of 49
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I have a Cap One Quicksilver - a combination of upgraded Platinums and Quicksilvers over the years. CL has been stagnant for a long time, so I have put it in SD.

It was always one of my lowest earners. There are so many more rewarding cards out there if you want to manage a bunch of them. I have gotten nearly $2K in cash bonuses and SUBs in the past year, with only normal spend, and I ain't rich. Chase and Discover accounted for 70% of that.

That is worth putting a little effort into.

Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with them reflects why people both love and dislike them. They were my first card, small limit but non-secured, when I was 18 and had no credit history. It took years to get to *almost* $1000. 16 years on, it's still at $4500 and "we don't see any upgrades that it's approved for. You could apply for a new card." Then, I apply for a newer card and it's rejected for them not seeing a long enough credit history. Thanks for letting me in the door, but I guess I remember our 16 years more than you do, Cap1.

:'(

Message 5 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know there are May cards that can give you a high reward rate, I got 400 back last year from discover......but I don’t want to manage all those cards. I just want one app and that’s it’s.

More power to the guys that put in the time an effort to get those great cash back returns, but I really cannot see myself doing that and managing so many different cards .
Message 6 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that’s crazy, Capital one has treated me like a king so far, my QS1 that started at 500$ it’s up to $1500 1k in this year, and they approved me for a venture card at 6k limit, that’s a lot for what I’m making right now. Great customer service every time I call them.

It may be because I have a “relationship” with that Capital one. I have a 360 account with them, 2 credit cards and my business Account is also with them.. so maybe that has to do with how they have treated me so far.
Message 7 of 49
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You also have to remember that you're in a place where the credit users are a lot more savvy. Just do what works for you, and if cap1 works, then don't stop on account of how other people feel.

Message 8 of 49
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

If you go back and look at threads 4 or 5 years ago you'll see Capital One referred to a lot as "Crap-1" then they started handing out $25k limits like candy on Halloween and the thread attitude changed to "we love Capital One" and they could do no wrong, well at least as reflected in those posts. Over the last year or 18 months, Capital One has tightened up a lot of limits, not so much adverse action or shutting down accounts (sans Comenity or Barclays) but they have gone back to lower starting limits, bucketing starter cards, and expanding their interest in subprime offerings with annual fees and low limits. 

They did introduce their new "dining" card, but for fat-wallet (number of cards, not referring to wealthy clients) it is mostly a yawn or also-ran effort. Cap-1 also expanded their reach through co-opted" cards such as the GM Card (which I think is a great card, but that view is shared by very few on these forums) and Cabelas which I also have a high limit on and no issues. 

Yes there are some that feel entitled and get "bucketed" by Cap-1 where their policy is to open a new account and take your chances rather than upgrade a proven customer/history and yes their customer service might as well be robots as they read off a script and have little if any power to work with a customer and offer much of anything as a solution. Cap-1's typical interest rates are high, their customer service is lacking, they tend to favor starter cards and subprime, and don't make much effort to upgrade their customer's products as that person upgrades their credit reports and history.

Personally, my wife and I have both closed any and all branded Cap-1 cards as not worth the effort, average rewards and failure to grow. As mentioned I have a GM Card and a Cabelas, both are fairly high limits and both I plan to keep - my wife has an older Kohls card which is also backed by Cap-1 and she plans on keeping that card too. I should also note that I have maintained a direct deposit checking account with Capital One for over 10 years. I could also give you "proof" that Cap-1 could not care less whether or not I do business with them, but it would be only one example and my comments are on how I see Cap-1's business model, not how they shunned a single customer.  

Are there things to like about Cap-1 yes of course, and while they are into the subprime market, they practice fairly ethical lending, meaning they are not Credit-One or First Premier or their many "vulture" clones. On the other hand for those with higher credit scores or long credit histories with a choice of many-many lenders and cards, Capital One does not offer much in my opinion. 

Message 9 of 49
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

There are quite a few CapitalOne haters, but I'm not one of them. Cap1 let me back in after I burned them in my bankruptcy. I got a car loan with them for 1.74% and a credit card with 24k limit.

Their customer has been great to me. They did product changes with no problems. I started with a QuickSilver card that became a Venture card, and now it's a Savoy card.

Guyatthebeach

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.