Did you mean: 

So frustrated with capital one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So frustrated with capital one

I just need to vent about capital one 

I have 4 capital one serviced cards

Quicksilver one opened April 6th 2019 started with 300 got cli to credit steps of 500 in 6 months today is 181 applied for cli 

Offered 100 dollar increase seriously?!?

Quicksilver opened sometime later in 2019 got my 500 limit on steps

Walmart non mc 300 dollar limit opened in September applied for cli multiple times again same thing 100 dollars offered

Kohls (I know this isn't really a cap one but they back it) this card has gotten two healthy clis in a year I'm assuming Kohl's controls the UW and cli on this one 300 to 1500 in a year

I've been burning that quicksilver one card up spending on it and pif  in anticipation of today to apply for cli and got offered 100 on it

Also irritating my card was opened April 6th capital one with no notice applied AF to my card on April second one day before my statement cut so I couldn't pay it.

I really just might SD all of their cards, I get the cards are bucketed, but I have multiple other cards with higher limits than 500, and im over here struggling and fighting with them over $100 clis

Frustrating to say the least

38 REPLIES 38
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: So frustrated with capital one

Yeah, unfortunately Cap One isn't highly generous with CLIs. It tends to be that one gets either a high SL or a low one and the card tends to stay in that range. There are exceptions, of course, but they're somewhat rare. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 39
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Many feel ya! I cant get their cards but yeah, even if i could i dont think id want to play their kind of game.

Message 3 of 39
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just need to vent about capital one 

I have 4 capital one serviced cards

Quicksilver one opened April 6th 2019 started with 300 got cli to credit steps of 500 in 6 months today is 181 applied for cli 

Offered 100 dollar increase seriously?!?

Quicksilver opened sometime later in 2019 got my 500 limit on steps

Walmart non mc 300 dollar limit opened in September applied for cli multiple times again same thing 100 dollars offered

Kohls (I know this isn't really a cap one but they back it) this card has gotten two healthy clis in a year I'm assuming Kohl's controls the UW and cli on this one 300 to 1500 in a year

I've been burning that quicksilver one card up spending on it and pif  in anticipation of today to apply for cli and got offered 100 on it

Also irritating my card was opened April 6th capital one with no notice applied AF to my card on April second one day before my statement cut so I couldn't pay it.

I really just might SD all of their cards, I get the cards are bucketed, but I have multiple other cards with higher limits than 500, and im over here struggling and fighting with them over $500 clis

Frustrating to say the least

@Anonymous 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/What-Credit-Cards-have-you-closed-and-Why/m-p/5919166#M1699646

#NoMoreFrustration!

#OneAndDone

#ThreeHardPullsThis

#NoBucketsForMe

Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the thing with credit - there is no one size fits all. Some creditors are generous and play nice with some people, but not others.  The key is to find the creditors that suit your needs and stick with them. 

Capital One has their niche. As mentioned, generally their niche isn't allowing one to grow a card from a low limit to a high limit quickly. Save time, effort, and frustration and move along to someone else. Very few of their cards offer something you can't find with another card from a different lender. 

Message 5 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

tell me about it. capital one was my first credit card and it took 3 years to get from $500 to $950. they finally gave me an auto cli of 2,000 after i put on an authorized user.

Message 6 of 39
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

Crapital One as I call them. I tell friends and family who are rebuilding or building to use them for what you can (ie, rebuilding credit, low score starter card, etc) and then when your profile improves tell them to get bent. I know people love the Savor card, but I still don't think it's worth dealing with them.

When I was rebuilding awhile back they were the worst creditor I dealt with by far. They're also notorious for reporting a charge off monthly so it damages your FICO score as if it were fresh each time. I hated dealing with them, and I'm not surprised they're anal about bucketing.

Message 7 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

tell me about it. capital one was my first credit card and it took 3 years to get from $500 to $950. they finally gave me an auto cli of 2,000 after i put on an authorized user.

Sounds like a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours".

Message 8 of 39
dragontears
Senior Contributor

So this might be an unpopular piece of advice but I mean it in the nicest way. 

Instead of frustrating yourself with unrealistic expectations, you should change your expectations. 

Most people who get $300 limit cards are rebuilding (we have all been there), so view these rebuilding cards as stepping stones; accept that their "growth" potential is low and these are not "forever" cards. Once your profile supports better cards, smile and thank your rebuilding cards while you close them.

Message 9 of 39
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@dragontears wrote:

So this might be an unpopular piece of advice but I mean it in the nicest way. 

Instead of frustrating yourself with unrealistic expectations, you should change your expectations. 

Most people who get $300 limit cards are rebuilding (we have all been there), so view these rebuilding cards as stepping stones; accept that their "growth" potential is low and these are not "forever" cards. Once your profile supports better cards, smile and thank your rebuilding cards while you close them.

This should be a popular opinion 

I think we get wrapped up with these starter cards, because increase on them would serve as some sort of validation to us that we're doing great, when in fact their entire business model is predicated on starter cards not growing, and other cards growing past SL with significant use only. 

As soon as you can replace them with something better, you should do so. 

You dont have to close, lock the card and off to SD. 

Another thing, hanging onto them hoping for better future approvals doesnt really work with Cap One. 

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.