cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So in your humble opinion, what are the best Credit Cards to have as of August, 2021?

tag
JNesbit89
Contributor

So in your humble opinion, what are the best Credit Cards to have as of August, 2021?

I have a boring Citizens Bank CC, a Syncrony PayPal online credit account that doesn't do me much besides give me easy soft hit CLIs, a Best Buy CC that has it's uses in store, and the Citi Double Cash Card, which is my favorite. What would you say are the best? Including benefits, as well as cons included (like yearly fees)

Thanks friends

37 REPLIES 37
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: So in your humble opinion, what are the best Credit Cards to have as of August, 2021?

This is SUCH a subjective question! Smiley Happy

What one person considers the best card ever may be on someone else's list of worst cards ever. It really depends on what you're looking for in a card, what's important to you, what ISN'T important to you, and so on.

My personal favorite card [right now] is the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. I upgraded it from a Blue Cash Everyday and am really glad I did. It has an AF ($95) while the BCE did not, but its benefits far outweigh the AF--for me. Specifically, its 6% cash back on groceries was the clincher, and more than makes up for its fee. It has a ton of other benefits, too, but the 6% grocery thing was its biggest draw in my case.

What are you most interested in gaining? Do you travel a lot? Is cash back more important to you than miles? How do you feel about annual fees? And so on!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 38
JNesbit89
Contributor

Re: So in your humble opinion, what are the best Credit Cards to have as of August, 2021?

@SoCalGardener wrote:

This is SUCH a subjective question! Smiley Happy

What one person considers the best card ever may be on someone else's list of worst cards ever. It really depends on what you're looking for in a card, what's important to you, what ISN'T important to you, and so on.

My personal favorite card [right now] is the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. I upgraded it from a Blue Cash Everyday and am really glad I did. It has an AF ($95) while the BCE did not, but its benefits far outweigh the AF--for me. Specifically, its 6% cash back on groceries was the clincher, and more than makes up for its fee. It has a ton of other benefits, too, but the 6% grocery thing was its biggest draw in my case.

What are you most interested in gaining? Do you travel a lot? Is cash back more important to you than miles? How do you feel about annual fees? And so on!

Crazy because I've always had my eye on the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, and this year they are waiving the annual fee for the first year. I wonder what stores they designate as grocery stores? What if you buy gift cards at a Wegmans or TOPs or Aldis?

I prefer cards with cash bonuses and benefits, but I suppose I have no flyer cards cause I havent ever flown in forever. But was hoping there was recommended "must have" selection of cards. Or like 1 from each major bank?

Message 3 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JNesbit89 wrote:

I prefer cards with cash bonuses and benefits, but I suppose I have no flyer cards cause I havent ever flown in forever. But was hoping there was recommended "must have" selection of cards. Or like 1 from each major bank?

Well, for the reasons given by @SoCalGardener  there really isn't either a "must have" or best from bank X list.   As a trivial example, take Chase Amazon card which I use heavily.   But if you don't use Amazon or WholeFoods, there is nothing to recommend the card, and similarly with any hotel/airline card, can make a lot of sense for some, none for others.

Now while there isn't a "best" card, it is, IMO easier to come up with the opposite, i.e. pairwise "there is no point in getting card X from bank A when card Y from bank B is better in every way" (e.g. a 1% card vs a 2% card with same fees) but even then, if you have a good relationship with A and/or burned bank B, card X might still be the better choice for you

Message 4 of 38
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

I have a bk7 on my reports so right now i cant get the super best cards. i like rewards, i am not so consumed by low interest rates. of the cards i have 3 give rewards, the best is discover which has 5 percent cb rolling categories, next best of my cards is the target red card which knocks 5 percent off the total at the register, but my limit is only 500. 3rd is mercury mastercard, 1 percent everywhere all the time. the kohls card isnt bad they give some generous coupons

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 38
JNesbit89
Contributor

Mine seems mixed at best.

Citi Double Cash is just a straight easy 2% back, there were no benefits or credits for opening it

Best Buy CC (not the Visa) just gets me 5% on purchases there or no-interest financing for 12+ months

Citizens Bank CC is 1.5% back, sucks

and PayPal Credit I believe offers no interest financing for 6 or 12 months

Message 6 of 38
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@JNesbit89 It depends on each person, like living situation and job. Choosing which lender to deal and grow is what I would focus on first; for example I kept reading about NFCU on here so I became a member and applied for the card that best serves me.

I like all of my lenders, they've all been great, and my favorite Bank is Chase because We have a relationship of +10yrs. 

Message 7 of 38
JNesbit89
Contributor

@Yasselife wrote:

@JNesbit89 It depends on each person, like living situation and job. Choosing which lender to deal and grow is what I would focus on first; for example I kept reading about NFCU on here so I became a member and applied for the card that best serves me.

I like all of my lenders, they've all been great, and my favorite Bank is Chase because We have a relationship of +10yrs. 

Why is Chase good? I have citizens bank who stnks but have local stores. And I have Citi who is cool but no atms anywhere 

Message 8 of 38
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

@JNesbit89 

As others have suggested, this is such a personal and subjective topic.  There are so many different "credit profiles" out there that not everyone is going to have access to the same cards.

So, I will answer that 'personal and subjective' question with a very personal and subjective answer....the one(s) that you can get at the time. :-)

I started my rebuild back in November, 2019 with the OpenSky.  It was a very basic credit card with a low annual fee ($35).  I likely jumped the gun there and likely should have gone with the Discover IT (hindsight is always 20/20 - but I really should have started with the Discover IT card).  I have gone through several "crap cards" (no dispresct to any of them....they all filled a role at the time that I got them.  Still not sure what role....ha! ha!.....but they all served a purpose.  There were less than ideal 'conditions' but they all served a purpose).

I am now in the "starting to get good" range of credit cards.

Cash Back is important to me.

No Annual Fee is important to me.

Starting Credit Limit and opportunity for Credit Limit Increases are important to me.

That is pretty much it right now.

Eventually, rewards will be important (I am *really* looking forward to reaching the stage where AMEX and CHASE and CITI are viable options for me....not there just yet).

So, for me any card that has basic to cool Cash Back is on my radar.  And - as a starting point - any No Annual Fee card is on my radar.  A "nice" Starting balance" is important, too.  I really do not want any more credit cards with a $500 - $750 credit limit (see my "crap cards" comment earlier).  Well, were I looking for another credit card.  I just applied for and was approved for a Credit Card from Navy Federal Credit Union so I am pretty much in the garden at this point (naturally, I was in the garden when I applied for the NFCU Credit Card!  LOL! So, gardening has not worked out so well for me up to this point!).

Someone who might be earlier in their rebuild might find some of my aforementioned "crap cards" to be absolutely better than sliced bread.  For them.  At that moment.

But, to answer you question:

1.  Discover IT

2.  a NFCU card (they have several....I went 'super basic' and applied for the cashREWARDS card).

3.  a Capital One card (I went 'super duper basic' and applied for the Platinum card....which is no AF but offers no cash back....and that was fine).

Maybe next year (as in "August, 2022") I am in the Chase and AMEX ecosystems and thngs look a little different for me then.  Only time (and my responsible and appropriate actions) will tell.

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 38
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

That's like asking what's the best car to have in 2021.  There's lots of use cases and different people have different wants and needs.  You wouldn't recommend a Porsche 911 to a family of 5.

We need to know more about what kind of cards you want.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.