cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So in your humble opinion, what are the best Credit Cards to have as of August, 2021?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So in your humble opinion, what are the best Credit Cards to have as of August, 2021?

@JNesbit89 wrote:

Citizens Bank CC is 1.5% back, sucks

Can you PC that 1.5% card to a current Citizens Bank card? They currently offer only 2 cards, one low APR card and one cashback credit card that pays a flat-rate 1.8%. No good reason for you to continue hanging on to that legacy 1.5% back card.

Message 11 of 38
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: So in your humble opinion, what are the best Credit Cards to have as of August, 2021?

Among the no annual fee credit cards, some of the widely available top cards include the following:

*American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card

*American Express Hilton Honors Card

*Bank of America Customized Cash Visa

*Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa

*Barclays Wyndham Earner Visa

*Capital One SavorOne Mastercard

*Capital One VentureOne Mastercard

*Chase Freedom Flex Mastercard

*Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa

*Citi Custom Cash Mastercard

*Citi Rewards+ Mastercard

*Discover Cash It Card

*Elan Financial Services Max Cash Preferred Visa/Mastercard

*PNC Cash Rewards Visa

*U.S. Bank Altitude Go Visa

*U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa

*Wells Fargo Active Cash Visa

Among annual fee cards, I think the American Express Gold Card is a very good card.  The Chase World of Hyatt Visa Visa is a probably the best hotel rewards card available.  The Bank of America Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard is a very strong card if you use Amtrak a lot.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 12 of 38
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

Among the no annual fee credit cards, some of the widely available top cards include the following:

*Discover Cash It Card

*PNC Cash Rewards Visa

*U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa

Among annual fee cards, I think the American Express Gold Card is a very good card.  The Chase World of Hyatt Visa Visa is a probably the best hotel rewards card available.  The Bank of America Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard is a very strong card if you use Amtrak a lot.

@FormerCollegeDJ  Can you educate us on why you rate the Chase World of Hyatt Visa so highly?  I have the card but don't get that much out of it. Please tell me what I'm missing, so I can perhaps start making better use of the card.  The qualities I recognize in it are that the Hyatt points are worth significantly more than Marriott and Hilton points, and that it gives you 1 free night a year at a tier 1-4 hotel.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 13 of 38
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@JNesbit89 wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

This is SUCH a subjective question! Smiley Happy

What one person considers the best card ever may be on someone else's list of worst cards ever. It really depends on what you're looking for in a card, what's important to you, what ISN'T important to you, and so on.

My personal favorite card [right now] is the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. I upgraded it from a Blue Cash Everyday and am really glad I did. It has an AF ($95) while the BCE did not, but its benefits far outweigh the AF--for me. Specifically, its 6% cash back on groceries was the clincher, and more than makes up for its fee. It has a ton of other benefits, too, but the 6% grocery thing was its biggest draw in my case.

What are you most interested in gaining? Do you travel a lot? Is cash back more important to you than miles? How do you feel about annual fees? And so on!

Crazy because I've always had my eye on the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, and this year they are waiving the annual fee for the first year. I wonder what stores they designate as grocery stores? What if you buy gift cards at a Wegmans or TOPs or Aldis?

I prefer cards with cash bonuses and benefits, but I suppose I have no flyer cards cause I havent ever flown in forever. But was hoping there was recommended "must have" selection of cards. Or like 1 from each major bank?

They include a very comprehensive list of 'grocery' stores; so far I've had no issues whatsoever. I'm thinking as long as you're shopping at well-known stores, there should be no problems. A "mom and pop" corner grocer may not be included, but Sprouts, Whole Foods, Instacart (when used for groceries), Vons, Kroger, Safeway, Pavilions, Ralphs, Trader Joe's, etc., are fine. I'm sure you could ask them if a specific store is included.

Yeah, I prefer cash back, too. I have no use for miles or airline points as I haven't done any travelling in a long time. Just cold, hard cash is what I want!

The Blue Cash Everyday was a very good card, although its 3% for groceries can't compare to the BCP's 6%--but, on the other hand, the BCE doesn't have an AF. When I was pondering whether to accept the upgrade to BCP, it took like five seconds of mental math to realize the cash back on groceries alone would more than make up for its AF. See how it looks to you.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 14 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

*Discover Cash It Card

*PNC Cash Rewards Visa

*U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa

The list sort of shows the earlier points raised about the subjective nature:  I certainly wouldn't consider the Hilton or Wyndham cards as a "top card" for myself, simply because I don't use those families of hotels.   And I am sure thr other cards appear great or meh to others!

Message 15 of 38
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

They include a very comprehensive list of 'grocery' stores; so far I've had no issues whatsoever. I'm thinking as long as you're shopping at well-known stores, there should be no problems. A "mom and pop" corner grocer may not be included, but Sprouts, Whole Foods, Instacart (when used for groceries), Vons, Kroger, Safeway, Pavilions, Ralphs, Trader Joe's, etc., are fine. I'm sure you could ask them if a specific store is included.

Unfortunately for us, BCP does not code Walmart as a grocery store.  (no confirmation as yet, but my Gold card does not either, so assuming it won't) Unfortunate since it's not far from us and is by-far the largest and lowest priced option for us.

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 16 of 38
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

@JNesbit89 wrote:

What would you say are the best? Including benefits, as well as cons included (like yearly fees)

Thanks friends

So, for me I get the largest rewards from Business Gold. (I have a personal business and run five figures/mo through mine) So far, this has been the hands-down best return on spend. (4x rewards on your top two categories - for me, shipping and advertising) If you're not adverse to business cards and the annual fee doesn't scare you, it can be a great option as a personal card. (Amex has no problem appoving you without a registerred business)

My combo is:

- Amex Blue Cash Preferred (6% Groceries, 6% Entertainment - $100 AF) (DW's card)

- Amex Business Gold (4x MR on top 2 categories - $300 AF)

- Amex Blue Business Plus (2x MR on all spend - No AF)

- Amazon Prime Card (5% Amazon purchases- No AF)

- WF Active Cash (2% - No AF) (*Currently using BBVA using select categories, but I'm assuming PNC isn't going to be a good replacement now that they've taken over BBVA)

This combo covers pretty much all categories for us and offers 2% CB or 2x MR for nearly all spend. (Amex caps BBP at $50k) I'm currently racking up points to the tune of ~50k/mo, I can't imagine a better combination for my spend.

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 17 of 38
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@AlanGJP wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Unfortunately for us, BCP does not code Walmart as a grocery store.  (no confirmation as yet, but my Gold card does not either, so assuming it won't) Unfortunate since it's not far from us and is by-far the largest and lowest priced option for us.

Hmmm... I haven't used my BCP at Walmart, but while it was still BCE I did--and got 3% cash back on groceries; here's one of its entries. Note that I only order online from Walmart Grocery (their prices can't be beat for things like Charmin, Viva, other household stuff!). You can see that's it labelled as a US supermarket. So at the very least, some clarification needs to enter this picture! I know it codes as groceries when ordered online, but I have no idea about in-store purchases.

3% Cash Back

Will appear on your Mar 23 statement as WALMART GROCERY WALMART.COM AR
Merchant Details WALMART ONLINE GROCERY U.S. Supermarkets
Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 18 of 38
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

*Discover Cash It Card

*PNC Cash Rewards Visa

*U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa

@FormerCollegeDJ  Can you educate us on why you rate the Chase World of Hyatt Visa so highly?  I have the card but don't get that much out of it. Please tell me what I'm missing, so I can perhaps start making better use of the card.  The qualities I recognize in it are that the Hyatt points are worth significantly more than Marriott and Hilton points, and that it gives you 1 free night a year at a tier 1-4 hotel.

The big benefit of the Hyatt card, or more accurately the World of Hyatt rewards program, is that its points have a MUCH higher valuation than the rewards programs for any other hotel chain.  Comparing Hyatt to other similar hotel chains on their rewards program points valuations:

*Hyatt (World of Hyatt): about 1.5 cents/point

*Hilton (Hilton Honors): about 0.4 cents/point

*IHG (IHG Rewards): about 0.5 cents/point

*Marriott (Marriott Bonvoy): about 0.65 cents/point

*Radisson (Radisson Rewards): about 0.3 cents/point

Hyatt's reward program points are worth 2x to 5x the amount of other comparable hotel rewards program points.  This means that even small multipliers on the Hyatt card can be very valuable for hotel spend.  With hotel spend, when you combine the Hyatt rewards program base points (5 points per dollar/spent), the increased rewards program status gained by having the card (Discoverist status, which provides a 10% point bonus, or 0.5 points per dollar spent), and points gained by using the card for hotel spend (4 points per dollar/spent), that equals 9.5 points/dollar spent, or a 14.25% rewards rate for Hyatt stays (9.5 multiplied by 1.5), a higher rewards rate on a low annual fee (<$100) card than pretty much all other hotel chains' comparable cards.

In addition to hotel spend, the Hyatt card actually provides solid rewards for some types of non-hotel spend.  Card holders earn 2 rewards points (i.e. 3% rewards) on spend at restaurants, flights, transit, and gym memberships.  This is competitive (though in many cases somewhat inferior) to many other general rewards annual fee cards on those spending categories.  More notably, this is much better than the rewards rates on non-hotel spend that other hotel rewards credit cards offer; among low annual fee hotel-branded cards, only the Hilton Honors Surpass American Express and the Wyndham Rewards Earner Plus Visa, particularly the latter, offer solid rewards on some categories of non-hotel spend.  The World of Hyatt card, because of the high value of its rewards program points, could be used by some people as a daily driver card, something that can't be said of almost all other hotel-branded, low annual fee credit cards excluding possibly the Hilton Honors Surpass Amex.

There's a reason why most credit card and/or travel-focused rewards sites speak highly of the Chase World of Hyatt Visa credit card.

Current credit cards:

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 19 of 38
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

*Discover Cash It Card

*PNC Cash Rewards Visa

*U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa

The list sort of shows the earlier points raised about the subjective nature:  I certainly wouldn't consider the Hilton or Wyndham cards as a "top card" for myself, simply because I don't use those families of hotels.   And I am sure thr other cards appear great or meh to others!

I mentioned the Hilton and Wyndham no annual fee cards because they provide solid value for some types of non-hotel spend, meaning they can be used for some types of regular spend (if you like staying at either or both hotel chain).  As an example, with the Wyndham Rewards Earner Visa, you earn 5 points per dollar spent at gas stations.  I value Wyndham Rewards points at 0.7 cents per point, so gas spending would earn a rewards rate of 3.5%.  Some websites value Wyndham Rewards points at higher values, which would mean gas spending would earn an even higher rewards rate.

Current credit cards:

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.