Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So many Capital One cards????

tag
awp317
Frequent Contributor

So many Capital One cards????

this is just a curiosity question no disrespect or judgement from me. But I noticed on quite a few signatures peoples having multiple capital one cards some times 5 or 6 even and some are even the same cards. IM genuinely curious what the point of that is? Wouldn't it make more sense to grow 1 or 2 different Cap one products? I would love to be educated as I just got my first capital one card back in july and am curious how they work and what the strategy is? I noticed quite a few have much higher limits than the rest of the cards on the profiles from other creditors. I'm interested in the venture card too but worried about applying so soon after getting the quicksilver (and not actually spending anything on it yet) 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Re: So many Capital One cards????

In short the Venture card has a nice sign up bonus 40 K miles, and seems to give generous limits 10K plus usually.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 2 of 12
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@awp317 wrote:

this is just a curiosity question no disrespect or judgement from me. But I noticed on quite a few signatures peoples having multiple capital one cards some times 5 or 6 even and some are even the same cards. IM genuinely curious what the point of that is? Wouldn't it make more sense to grow 1 or 2 different Cap one products? I would love to be educated as I just got my first capital one card back in july and am curious how they work and what the strategy is? I noticed quite a few have much higher limits than the rest of the cards on the profiles from other creditors. I'm interested in the venture card too but worried about applying so soon after getting the quicksilver (and not actually spending anything on it yet) 

It's definitely something I have noticed on these boards for as long as I've been reading them; but I can't say that I have been entirely interested in knowing why grown adults do whatever it is they do, nor is it something I'd do myself. The number of inquiries to acquire a single Capital One card is quite prohibitive to me. Regardless, I presume for some members that Capital One will give them what other banks won't. For others, it's evident that they are growing several cards to merge them into one large limit or keeping the accounts open for history. I'm sure many consolidate Venture cards into a QS after the bonus and after the first year.

Lastly, I believe Capital One has recently implemented a 6 month wait period between approvals, likely in the best interest of the bank but also to protect applicants from themselves.

Message 3 of 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have SIX capital one accounts, but only applied for two. 

A few years ago, Cap One got aquisition happy and bought out Household, Orchard, Sony, Direct Rewards, and others...  so while I've only applied for TWO capital one products, I have SIX.

Currently, most of them are open and empty, getting ready to combine and/or close.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Several of us would like to combine cards and only have one Capital One card, but for some reason Capital One's messed up systems won't allow it. Frustrating. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^^ +1 this is exactly why I still have six. I want just two but I still can't combine.
Message 6 of 12
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I did have five. Combining the cards and the HPs from double apping is exactly what I did. Now I have one and those pulls don't mean much after 12 months.
Message 7 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

There are various reasons why people might have multiples of the same Cap One product.   Sometimes, it's due to acquisition and other times, it has to do with sign-up bonuses and PCs.

I had a Household Bank rebuilder, which was acquired by Cap One when they bought the HSBC portfolio.   It's now a QS WMC.   I later applied for a Sony Card, which is now SDed, since I no longer use it for dining.   I then later applied for a V1, so I could get the 20K miles and the 12 month 0% APR.   I PCed that to a QS VS, since that's more in line with what I need.   I will combine that into my older QS WMC once the balance is paid and the system allows it.    I'm hoping Cap One eventually ends the Sony Card program, so I can PC it.  Or I'm hoping they allow cobranded cards to be combined in the future.   For now, it's a zero balance card.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@awp317 wrote:

Capital One recently implemented a new policy that you can't get a new Capital One account if you've gotten one during the preceding 6 months.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I've heard that for their own cards, they only allow 2 max, though you can get more co-branded cards. Store cards have their own perks and uses, so that's probably accounting for most of what you're seeing.

Personally, CapOne is really good for rebuild (and horrible if you mess up, ha), so I have two cards, one secured and one not. The secured card I'm closing eventually, at least by the two-year mark, because it won't graduate or combine with anything. The other one is currently my highest limit, so I'm not closing that!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.