Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So rude Merrick...

tag
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

So rude Merrick...

So i have been on the fence about closing this card (see other posts) and decided to call and give them one last chance to cli my card. First rep was nice but useless so i asked for supervisor. Got supervisor who was really nasty and said...nothing has changed since the last time you called...you called about this already a few months ago and we told you no customer initiated cli. So rude...i said fine is there a underwriting dept or executive office i can speak with. she answered no there is none and no one else i can speak with. I then asked very nicely for her name and rep id and told her to close my card immediately. I then found a po box for corporate and wrote a nice letter that will go out snail mail. Ahh..so rude...but it did help me to close the account :-)

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Re: So rude Merrick...

+1 Good job!

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 2 of 10
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!!!

Message 3 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Good for you on keeping your composure and letting corporate know about your experience. Time to move on, and congrats on reaching that point. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 10
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Awesome!! These folks need to understand that WE are the customers not them!!
Message 5 of 10
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone! Ik their reps and supervisors are so rude. I understand that all of us have bad days and days we wish we could forget but no matter how bad a day the rep is having its not okay to make customers their victim. I wrote that the goal of my complaint wasn't to seek repromand for the reps behavior (although justified) but that it was my hope that my letter served as a catalyst for better support and training to their csr and supervisors and for better transparency to loyal customers.

Message 6 of 10
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@shorrttyycm1 wrote:
Thanks everyone! Ik their reps and supervisors are so rude. I understand that all of us have bad days and days we wish we could forget but no matter how bad a day the rep is having its not okay to make customers their victim. I wrote that the goal of my complaint wasn't to seek repromand for the reps behavior (although justified) but that it was my hope that my letter served as a catalyst for better support and training to their csr and supervisors and for better transparency to loyal customers.

wells said shorr! I am going to close my Merrick account by the due date. Just waiting for the last payment to clear so will actually close it in a few days. Only 850 limit and had the card for 13 months now. Im sure they are not going to care and just proceed with my request with no questions asked.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 7 of 10
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Thnx dodgerslv! Nope...after 2 years i got..."well i have to ask you why"...lol. I replied "do you really"? I answered " lack if cl growth and rude customer service". ;-)

Message 8 of 10
winner88
Contributor

Congratulations! I have to do that one of these days. had this useless card since 08 .. 5 years and not a single cli the $400 limit is an eye sore compared to my other cards in the $15k limit range.

EQ 772
TU 764
Message 9 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I don't really run into rude CSRs, but as of late they have been going downhill in regards to that.  I call them once a month to ask that my security funds be returned and the AF be removed from the account.  I spoke with a CSR, a supervisor, and a Manager the other day and this was after I spoke with them last week and asked and they said they would have to fill out a form and that someone would get back with me.  They never got back with me and so I called.  They did make a decision that what I was asking for could not be done; as this was their terms and conditions and they don't PC cards.  I then called thier corporate office and they told me that I could write a letter disputing it.  I thought this was weird and I certainly thought that rep was was rude!  When I asked her, repeatedly, what the chances are she kept talking around the question.  I hate when people talk around the question!!!  I hate when people talk around the question!!!  (I know I wrote that twice!)  When I cornered her and tired to make her just answer the question she told me she could not tell me that.  I did not want a guarantee, just a likelihood answer.  She kept refusing and I kept pushing the envelope right back at her telling her this.  She finally just hung up on me.

I called back of course and spoke with a person who was a lot nicer and explained that it wouldn't hurt to simply write the letter.  So I did.  I faxed it over explaining that after 5.5 years of history with them I did not want to close the account, but I also wanted to have the AF removed and my security deposit back.  I actually have personally pointed out to them a flaw in their system regarding multiple payment accounts which caused me to go delinquent.  There was no way it was my fault, even though the reps kept telling me it was and to basically leave them alone about it.  I finally just emailed an executive at the bank and explained the situation.  I am sure this person hates getting emails from me.  The one before this one was unanswered for weeks and the one saying goodbye to them has yet to get a reply also.  The one from about a year ago was basically a plan for them to expand what they do as a means for increasing their card base and diversify into the Prime Category.  It was right after Capone bought HSBC and I realized how bad that was going to be for us. 

I still haven't heard anything from the request, it might take a few days.  In the letter I told them everything and more and simply stated that they had two options.  The first was to remove the AF and return the security funds and keep the account open and the second was to simply close the account.  The account still seems to be open, I checked right before I wrote this.  I do expect they will close the account, which will be sad.  I am one of their biggest fans and will be a fan of them for a while, but much less of a fan since they don't grow with people.  I realize that this is basically because they don't have any other tiered products.  They do need to keep some of us who do post good things about them to help counter their image with some of the account holders who simply do the wrong thing and blame the bank.  (I realize there are people in between the two poles!) 

It would be wise in regards to PR and CRM to simply keep the account open and satisfy my request.  Or it could be a nightmare for them that I don't wish to create.  (If people know they did this for me, they will try the same thing.  Unlike Capone, I don't think that Merrick needs this to happen right now.  Capone brought that on themselves and I am certain that if Merrick does allow my request, but does not realize quickly how it could benefit them it could become an issue for them in the same respects.  By this I mean the fact that many pissed Capone customers have used the EO avenue to get taken care of.  I am certain that Capone has had way too many people contacting them that don't really deserve as much or anything in regards to how they handle their accounts.  I have already started seeing posts of people who are doing it a bit early.  They would be wiser to simply wait for a bit and try later.  I have also seen responses from some that got nothing.  I have seen many people ask for the EO contact and not reply with what happened.  I imagine that many have made no posts or asked for the EO office contact and have simply done it.)

I do like Merrick Bank, I do think they do have a function.  I also think they need to revise their strategy, which is better than Capones.  Does Capone ever really give CLI's to their rebuilders?  I think if we could do a study on those with their low level cards that we would find that those that have gotten CLI's are few and some, if not most, are simply because of short credit files.  I know they gave my sister a credit limit increase and they shouldn't have.  She used their payment protection program for almost a year and then when she couldn't anymore made two payments and then they increased her limit from $500 to $3500 right before Christmas.  She then went out and abused the account and defaulted.  She says who in their right mind would give a CLI to someone unemployed at Christmas time.  She is right in that.  But as I tell her, who in their right mind would go out and charge up so much money right before Christmas when they don't have a job and no desire to get one soon.  She doesn't like my responses.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.