tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: So sad, commence card is ending....

@longtimelurkerwrote:

@DaveInAZwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@kdm31091wrote:

That didn't last long. Wasn't the Commence more or less the same as a Barclay Rewards anyway?

I started a post, then deleted it and went to look again. I don't even see Barclay Rewards on their site right now. I swear they change their lineup/cards more than any co out there. In my previous (never posted) post, I complained about the design of their site with the tiles for the cards. When I went back the second time, I saw that you can change to a list view, which is much better for me. But still no Barclay Rewards. Still Ring and lots of Cobranded ______ Rewards, but the old one that looks similar to the Ring isn't up there. And that's what I assume is meant in the lead post. 

The Barclays Rewards (Mastercard) as been closed to new apps for a couple years now. While I feel for you nerfed Sally Mae, now nefred Commerce cardholders, this is actually good news to me as it means they (probably) won't force convert my Rewards MC into something else for awhile at least. I've had my Rewards MC since 2012, and it's actually a pretty decent card - 2% rewards for gas, groceries & utilities, 1% all else. But the nice thing is how loose Barclays is coding stores as groceries. My Amex BCE gives me 3% on groceries, but it has to be a primary grocery chain like Vons, Safeway, Kroger, etc. Barclays codes any purchase at my nearest Walmart as 2% groceries, as it does for my small town Family Dollar, which if you count canned Chef Boyardee krap as "food" sells a very limited amount of groceries, I use it for household stuff, cleaning supplies, TP, dog food, etc. . And my electric co-op doesn't charge a fee for CC payments, so that utility bill always goes on my Barclays Rewards MC for 2%. You can redeed rewards for a statement credit for any amount over $10.

It seems strange to me for an issuer to convert everyone to a card that is no longer open to new applicants.   Has that happened before (as compared to someone doing a PC to an discontinued card, which I know is possible).   Re Rewards, yes, Visa (not Barclays) has a more relaxed definition of groceries than Amex, but at 2% that only matters for those who do not have one of the expanding range of 2% everywhere cards.

^ This ^.  The Citi Double Cash accomplishes all of this and you don't have to worry about how anything codes.  

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadness here ... deep sixed the Barclay Commence Card in November (no p/c option) and now I could have been converted to the Barclay's Rewards Card (take my breath away) Smiley Happy It appears Barclay's is floundering in the US credit card market much like a fish laying on the beach after the tide has gone out!

Message 12 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@DaveInAZwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@kdm31091wrote:

That didn't last long. Wasn't the Commence more or less the same as a Barclay Rewards anyway?

I started a post, then deleted it and went to look again. I don't even see Barclay Rewards on their site right now. I swear they change their lineup/cards more than any co out there. In my previous (never posted) post, I complained about the design of their site with the tiles for the cards. When I went back the second time, I saw that you can change to a list view, which is much better for me. But still no Barclay Rewards. Still Ring and lots of Cobranded ______ Rewards, but the old one that looks similar to the Ring isn't up there. And that's what I assume is meant in the lead post. 

The Barclays Rewards (Mastercard) as been closed to new apps for a couple years now. While I feel for you nerfed Sally Mae, now nefred Commerce cardholders, this is actually good news to me as it means they (probably) won't force convert my Rewards MC into something else for awhile at least. I've had my Rewards MC since 2012, and it's actually a pretty decent card - 2% rewards for gas, groceries & utilities, 1% all else. But the nice thing is how loose Barclays is coding stores as groceries. My Amex BCE gives me 3% on groceries, but it has to be a primary grocery chain like Vons, Safeway, Kroger, etc. Barclays codes any purchase at my nearest Walmart as 2% groceries, as it does for my small town Family Dollar, which if you count canned Chef Boyardee krap as "food" sells a very limited amount of groceries, I use it for household stuff, cleaning supplies, TP, dog food, etc. . And my electric co-op doesn't charge a fee for CC payments, so that utility bill always goes on my Barclays Rewards MC for 2%. You can redeed rewards for a statement credit for any amount over $10.

Well, yes, but you can also just use a 2% everywhere card and not have to worry about it coding correctly.

Message 13 of 23
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymouswrote:

Sadness here ... deep sixed the Barclay Commence Card in November (no p/c option) and now I could have been converted to the Barclay's Rewards Card (take my breath away) Smiley Happy It appears Barclay's is floundering in the US credit card market much like a fish laying on the beach after the tide has gone out!

Yep, soon they will discontinue themselves in the US if this keeps up.

Message 14 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Well spoken.

They've actually had some good cards, but the company is completely mismanaged.

They closed my accounts, without giving a reason.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 23
JamP
Valued Contributor

I received this in the mail also and was excited at first until I read it has the same rewards..

I never even activated my Commence cards.

Lets hope they let us pc this one to something else someday.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 16 of 23
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091wrote:

@DaveInAZwrote:

Well, yes, but you can also just use a 2% everywhere card and not have to worry about it coding correctly.

Well yes. I currently have two 2% everywhere cards that are my primary daily drivers. But for those of us who have a number of cards to have a sufficent total available credit so we can keep utilization in check when we carry balances for 0% promos/BTs we want to spread the spend around multiple cards, and the Barclays Rewards MC 2% categories/coding make that easy. Unlike my Barclays Cashforward with only 1.5% rewards and a ridiculous $50 requirement to redeem rewards. I'll probably PC that one to Uber at some point, "PC" the Barclays way - app for the new card and on approval move the CL of the old card to it & close the old card.

Message 17 of 23
ObieGrad
Valued Member

For me this actually represents a further devaluation. If you have student loans, the Commence's 25% bonus on student loan redemptions turned the Commence into a 2.5% card for groceries and utilities. Now the new card is a flat 2% on groceries, gas and utilities which means it does not exceed my DoubleCash's rewards on anything.

Message 18 of 23
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

The commence card lasted about as long as a senior White House official.

Hey the card was awesome for BT's as it only charged 1% fee, but worthless for purchases. Seriously, I'm sad it's being replaced by another worthless card from Barclay that will likely charge more for BT. 

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Turbobuickwrote:

The commence card lasted about as long as a senior White House official.

Hey the card was awesome for BT's as it only charged 1% fee, but worthless for purchases. Seriously, I'm sad it's being replaced by another worthless card from Barclay that will likely charge more for BT. 

Appalled that you could equate senior White House Officials with Barclays!  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.