cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what's the secret (if there is one) to getting one of those really big CL's?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So what's the secret (if there is one) to getting one of those really big CL's?

My starting limits all range between 20k to 30k now.  Not that I care as I PIF. 

I have close to 200k income and no mortgage, and no car loans.  No revolving debt.  

Message 41 of 56
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you actually make use of your large CL's (for those that have them)?

Message 42 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have stopped asking for CLI but I get 20k to 30k when I get a new card. It doesn't matter to me but some people might like the huge limits. I am not sure why it bothers people if people want to achieve huge limits for whatever reason.  

Message 43 of 56
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

SouthJamaica said...

I do not strive to strengthen my credit scores out of ego. Neither money in the bank nor credit scores prove anything about a person's worth. I strive to strengthen my credit scores because it is useful and practical in this society to have good credit scores.

Nor do I post them out of ego, nor would I post them out of ego if they were better. I post them because I find it useful when conversing with others for us to be able to get a snapshot of where the other stands in the FICO universe by providing some identifying information on that score.

OK, I believe you...but IMO ego is a major driving force behind many things in life. I want 3x850 credit scores eventually, and I will freely admit that ego is the driving force in the endeavor. To me, ego is not a bad word, nor should it be insulting. Do I really need 3x850 scores?...No! I am quite sure there will be no parade to mark the occasion, and I can not in any way truly say I need that. In my mind, others have acheived it, so I wish to as well. I do not have any issues with anyone saying it is due to my ego. I also have no issue with anyone asking for any credit limits they desire either. The fact that there are, I think 18 credit cards in my possession should clearly indicate I have no issues with people having many cards either. I have seen some with 50+ cards, but they were not saying that all 50 were needed either. I was in fact impressed by their ability to monitor them all. I think Thomas Edison and Henry Ford both likely had huge egos. If you find an ego to be insulting, that was never intended. People want trophies in competitive events, to be a symbol of their accomplishment, and the dedication and work needed to earn it. That is in my opinion due to ego, and ego is not a bad thing.

I didn't say it was a bad thing or a good thing; that's a philosophical question and my credentials as a philosopher are nonexistent. What I said was that I don't strive to improve my credit scores out of ego, and don't post them out of ego. If you're proud of your credit scores, good for you. In my value system it doesn't tell me a thing about your worth as a human being. I'm sure Scrooge had a good credit score, too.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 44 of 56
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

I rarely 100% agree with anything posted here, but this is the exception. I often have posted myself that utilization is over emphesized when someone is not even applying for credit. It is nice that my score stays above 800 at all times, but if it lost 50 points that I could easily get back before applying for a loan or card, would it really matter? My credit limits are more than adequate. Both super high 800+ scores and super high credit limits are more ego driven than needed. So is the amassing of a huge number of credit cards just for the sake of having them. It might hurt someones feelings to say that, but it is hard to argue with the truth of it.

Says the person who less than a week ago started a thread claiming "I am running out of banks for credit cards."

I believe I have already, more than once, stated that I do that. I will say it once more, I was not criticizing the seeking of cards, credit limit increases, or maximizing of scores at all. I was just agreeing with longtimelurker that ego was the motivation for my doing so, as it is with many others. I dis-agree with saying that many peoples egos are a driving force is an insult to anybody. I was involved so heavily in work until I became disabled, as a troubleshooter, and I did all I could to be the best troubleshooter in the plant, and ego was definitely involved. Since becoming disabled, I have lost that part of my life. Now I focus on my credit scores and such as one of the few hobbies I have left, and yes, much of what I do in this is somewhat driven by ego, but that is not a bad thing in my opinion. You would think from these reactions that I had said the practice was wrong...but I did not...and it would be fairly stupid for me to do that when I do exactly the same thing, and never once denied that I did. I also never once indicated that having an ego was in any way a character flaw. If anyone saw my post as criticism of their character due to amassing cards, scores, or high credit limits, then they took it wrong, it was not meant to be critisizm at all.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 45 of 56
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

Ego is the driving force behind many accomplishments, and it is the negative opinion of the term that is a bit confusing to me.

I also never once indicated that having an ego was in any way a character flaw.

ego; noun, ˈē-(ˌ)gō

-  the self especially as contrasted with another self or the world;

-  the part of the psychic apparatus that experiences and reacts to the outside world and thus mediates between the primitive drives of the id and the demands of the social and physical environment.

egotistical; adjective, ē-gə-ˈti-sti-kəl

- characteristic of those having an inflated idea of their own importance;

- conceited; boastful; selfish; self-centered behavior

There is a big difference.

Everyone has an ego.  Having an ego isn’t a character flaw. 

Everyone isn’t egotistical.  Being egotistical is a character flaw.

We all have a perception of our place in the world (ego).  Egotists have a disproportionate view of their place in the world, regardless of their actual achievements or place in the world.  Someone doesn't have to actually BE successful to be an egotist. 

All great achievers were not egotistical.  Some were, but many of the most beloved and famous role models throughout history were actually just very intelligent, very gifted people who were also quite humble.  They didn’t think they were better than anyone else because of their innate gifts. Or their credit limits or credit scores.  Smiley Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 46 of 56
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

Ego is the driving force behind many accomplishments, and it is the negative opinion of the term that is a bit confusing to me.

I also never once indicated that having an ego was in any way a character flaw.

ego; noun, ˈē-(ˌ)gō

-  the self especially as contrasted with another self or the world;

-  the part of the psychic apparatus that experiences and reacts to the outside world and thus mediates between the primitive drives of the id and the demands of the social and physical environment.

egotistical; adjective, ē-gə-ˈti-sti-kəl

- characteristic of those having an inflated idea of their own importance;

- conceited; boastful; selfish; self-centered behavior

There is a big difference.

Everyone has an ego.  Having an ego isn’t a character flaw. 

Everyone isn’t egotistical.  Being egotistical is a character flaw.

We all have a perception of our place in the world (ego).  Egotists have a disproportionate view of their place in the world, regardless of their actual achievements or place in the world.  Someone doesn't have to actually BE successful to be an egotist. 

All great achievers were not egotistical.  Some were, but many of the most beloved and famous role models throughout history were actually just very intelligent, very gifted people who were also quite humble.  They didn’t think they were better than anyone else because of their innate gifts. Or their credit limits or credit scores.  Smiley Happy

Absolutely right, there is a hug difference between having an ego, and being egotistical. Now almost everything people do well has usually been acheived with at least some ego involved. It is partially why school performance is graded, and always hoped that good grades will motivate someone to put in extra study and effort. In its simplist term, an ego is how we see ourselves. The problem with what I posted, was most people equate having an ego with being egotistical. Having an ego will motivate an individual to succeed, and increase the effort one applies to a task. It is absolutely essential in athletic competition. Thank you for posting the definition, because I really never intended the remark as an insult to anybody. The ironic thing is every single one of the credit practices I mentioned, I myself am a practitioner of. High credit scores, high credit limits, and amassing many more cards than I really need, are all things I do. Some even posted that it was said by the individual who posted about running out of banks, which I did. That was 100% true, but somehow it seems to have led some to think that my post in this thread was meant to insult, and hipocricy. It was actually neither. It was mainly just voicing my opinion about what drives some of us to get ever higher numbers of cards, higher scores, and higher limits...for me at least, it is impossible for me to actually say I need all my cards, high scores, or high limits. I in fact, would be just fine with 0 cards, 350 credit scores, and of course no credit limits. I would not miss a meal, all of my needs and most of my wants would still be met. I do have an ego though, just as I wanted A+ grades in school, I want 850 scores. I also want a lot of cards, high limits. I do however admit that my ego is a huge part of why I want that. 

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 47 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm currently using a significant portion of my "large CL."  I'm using $36,400 or 43% of the $85,000 BofA Cash Rewards credit limit.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 7.26.29 AM.png

Message 48 of 56
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm currently using a significant portion of my "large CL." 

I'm using $36,400 or 43% of the $85,000 BofA Cash Rewards credit limit.

Thanks for that DP. 

Do you mind if I ask if that is for personal, reinbursed work expenses, or home business expenses?

I only have personal expenses to put through on my cards so I will never run those kind of numbers!

However, I have often wondered how much people qualify for super-large credit lines primarily due to running business expenses through personal cards that are either reimbursed or home-based. 

And then, there are the people who are just that well-paid or that wealthy that they can spend like that!  But I'm sure that is the minority.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 49 of 56
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm currently using a significant portion of my "large CL."  I'm using $36,400 or 43% of the $85,000 BofA Cash Rewards credit limit.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 7.26.29 AM.png

Wow, so since your last statement balance was 4400 dollars, you charged 32000 dollars in this credit cycle? That is a lot of charges in one billing cycle. Is this a business used card? Do you normally run that much through a billing cycle, or is this due to balance transfers?

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 50 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.