cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SoFi Card/support Rant (and Citizens love)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: SoFi Card/support Rant (and Citizens love)

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@longtimelurker  why this particular card for foreign transactions? You gotta have others (in addition to Citizens). 

Is it the earning rate?  

It just seems a little on ridiculous side to prominently advertise "No foreign transaction fee" when the reality seems to be "No foreign transaction fee because we will never allow foreign transaction"  

I spent two trips in the UK using a SoFi card this October and November (since AMEX cards are often ☠️ there, this became the "non AMEX default"). Boots and local stores didn't have problems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Yes, I wouldn't expect trouble at stores (well, I would always use the AR in the UK anyway!).   Comparing my failures and successes, online issuers arise if I try to ship it not to my home (latest Amazon UK) and/or if the billing address cannot be entered (insurance).  But that's a total sample size of 5 transactions.   

@Remedios , feel free to send me your US address and I will see if shipping there causes an issue.   The usual stuff, I suppose?

Message 31 of 38
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@longtimelurker  why this particular card for foreign transactions? You gotta have others (in addition to Citizens). 

Is it the earning rate?  

It just seems a little on ridiculous side to prominently advertise "No foreign transaction fee" when the reality seems to be "No foreign transaction fee because we will never allow foreign transaction"  

I spent two trips in the UK using a SoFi card this October and November (since AMEX cards are often ☠️ there, this became the "non AMEX default"). Boots and local stores didn't have problems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Yes, I wouldn't expect trouble at stores (well, I would always use the AR in the UK anyway!).   Comparing my failures and successes, online issuers arise if I try to ship it not to my home (latest Amazon UK) and/or if the billing address cannot be entered (insurance).  But that's a total sample size of 5 transactions.   

@Remedios , feel free to send me your US address and I will see if shipping there causes an issue.   The usual stuff, I suppose?

Oh, I don't think I want "the usual" shipped to US address. 

I kinda like having webz access and the ability to pick my own outfits vs Orange for 15 to life. 

Message 32 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I kinda like having webz access and the ability to pick my own outfits vs Orange for 15 to life. 

Oh come on, everyone knows you are a law-abiding person who hasn't broken a law in her life!  Well, yes, that time in Carbon, IN, was technically illegal I suppose, but it's a stupid law and you weren't caught so... and Hillside, NJ?   If they didn't want those valuable possessions taken, why did they leave their door unlocked....

Message 33 of 38
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Oh come on, everyone knows you are a law-abiding person who hasn't broken a law in her life!  Well, yes, that time in Carbon, IN, was technically illegal I suppose, but it's a stupid law and you weren't caught so... and Hillside, NJ?   If they didn't want those valuable possessions taken, why did they leave their door unlocked....

Oh please, if they don't want their possessions misappropriated, they should not live in NJ. 

I cannot make fun of IN because technically, it's all true. 

Message 34 of 38
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Is it the earning rate?  

Those are the things that would raise fraud flags; stuff being shipped to an unusual address or without a verifiable address. Seems like the way to dismiss the flag is suboptimal.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 35 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Ok ok, so they have made it work, just to make me look bad!

They said they had placed a note on my account, which would take at least 48 hours to work.   After 48 hours I tried and it failed again.   Tried it just now and they happily approve an Amazon UK purchase sent to a random (to them) address in the UK.   

So, FINALLY, I can make a big purchase, sent it to a co-conspiritor and claim fraud "What were you doing approving this random shipping address!   I've never heard of Joe Sutton.   What, you never told me his name....?"

Message 36 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Just to be more fair than I usually like:

SoFI has started acting as I wanted.   Today I purchased something from ebay UK, (my first use)  sent it to a UK address, with my US billing address and it went through instantly without complaint.   So maybe some real AI/ML mechanism teaching it "let him buy stuff in the UK" or some manual settings override from CSR notes, but it works

Message 37 of 38
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Just to be more fair than I usually like:

SoFI has started acting as I wanted.   Today I purchased something from ebay UK, (my first use)  sent it to a UK address, with my US billing address and it went through instantly without complaint.   So maybe some real AI/ML mechanism teaching it "let him buy stuff in the UK" or some manual settings override from CSR notes, but it works

SoFi gave me trouble with domestic Amazon (even after I conform the transaction by SMS 2x and calling), I actually stopped using SoFi as my primary card when Citi DC accounced they were dropping the minimum to redeem. I really prefer this card though. Now if you could freeze AU accounts online or dispute transactions online, it would be like a real card (lol).

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.