Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft Pulls

tag
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Soft Pulls

What exactly do the various creditors see when they do a soft pull on our credit reports? 

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: Soft Pulls

And I have to ask the "dumb" question - how do we see who "softed" us?

Thanks -

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 2 of 19
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

I like to know also....

I can see "soft pulls" from equifax.com account when I log in. I can't see "soft pulls" from myfico.com or transnion.com website.

When I checked my once a yr. free annual report from Experian, I am able to see "soft pulls" from them.

Message 3 of 19
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Not so dumb I know EX and EQ if you request a dispute you can look thru your inq's-- ones that may affect your score (what you have authorized) and ones that dont (the softs) like amex doing acct reviews and such  

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 4 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@tntexans72 wrote:

I like to know also....

I can see "soft pulls" from equifax.com account when I log in. I can't see "soft pulls" from myfico.com or transnion.com website.

When I checked my once a yr. free annual report from Experian, I am able to see "soft pulls" from them.

AFAIK, the only place that you can see softs is on your full reports, like those that you mention. The TU credit monitoring service reports aren't full reports, and neither are the myfico.com reports.

As for what they can see, there are two (basically) different kinds. If you're already a customer of a lender, they see your entire credit report when they soft you using an "account review" or "account maintenance" prefix.

If you're not a customer, and they're softing you under a Promo prefix, they see your demographics. These softs come from lists purchased by lenders from the credit bureaus. They might ask for a list of customers in Texas with no BK's and no lates less than two years old (making this up, I hope you realize), and if you fall in that category, they'll get your demographics (name, address), but they don't get to see the details of your reports.

When you "opt-out" of promo offers, your name doesn't come up on these fishing expeditions (the promo pulls.) If you're a customer though, they have the right to see your full reports, but they (usually) use a soft pull to do so so that you don't get an inq.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 19
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the education HAULING !!

Message 6 of 19
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Yes - thank you! That helps me out a lot.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 7 of 19
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

thanx hauling I am a little clearer on that now

Message 8 of 19
way2evil
New Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

I like to know also....

AFAIK, the only place that you can see softs is on your full reports, like those that you mention. The TU credit monitoring service reports aren't full reports, and neither are the myfico.com reports.

As for what they can see, there are two (basically) different kinds. If you're already a customer of a lender, they see your entire credit report when they soft you using an "account review" or "account maintenance" prefix.

If this is how it works why do some places require a hard pull for a CLI?

Message 9 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@way2evil wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

I like to know also....

If this is how it works why do some places require a hard pull for a CLI?

Meanness?  Smiley Very Happy

Some lenders, notably Chase, consider a request for a CLI as seeking credit. Well, OK, sort of, but IMO it's not seeking new credit, as in trying to open a new line of credit.

But since it's not my opinion or yours that matters, but the lenders, we're stuck with how they choose to code the inquiry.

That's one of the useful features of forums like this: we can get a halfway-decent idea of who hards and who doesn't.

--I do think that I've read about lenders who do softs for the first several requests, but if you keep pushing and pushing, they'll hard you. Sort of an "enough already" attitude, I suppose, which I can understand.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.