Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft Pulls

tag
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Re: Soft Pulls

That is the way it works for me with discover

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 11 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@john398 wrote:

On my usaa report with CreditCheck Monitoring Premium from Experian I can see my softs if I view the full report, have to click on disput though

Thanks; I had an uneasy feeling that I had forgotten an exception, and this is the only one that I know of.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 19
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

If an existing creditor can see your entire credit profile by using a soft pull, why would they use a hard pull instead?

Message 13 of 19
CS800
Super Contributor

@redwalker2929 wrote:

If an existing creditor can see your entire credit profile by using a soft pull, why would they use a hard pull instead?

I beleive that with a HP they can see more details of your existing accounts rather tan a summary. They do HP to check on lates and how recent they are. Maybe a HP gives them insight in your inquiries as well.

Message 14 of 19
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Smiley Happy

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

I like to know also....

I can see "soft pulls" from equifax.com account when I log in. I can't see "soft pulls" from myfico.com or transnion.com website.

When I checked my once a yr. free annual report from Experian, I am able to see "soft pulls" from them.

AFAIK, the only place that you can see softs is on your full reports, like those that you mention. The TU credit monitoring service reports aren't full reports, and neither are the myfico.com reports.

As for what they can see, there are two (basically) different kinds. If you're already a customer of a lender, they see your entire credit report when they soft you using an "account review" or "account maintenance" prefix.

If you're not a customer, and they're softing you under a Promo prefix, they see your demographics. These softs come from lists purchased by lenders from the credit bureaus. They might ask for a list of customers in Texas with no BK's and no lates less than two years old (making this up, I hope you realize), and if you fall in that category, they'll get your demographics (name, address), but they don't get to see the details of your reports.

When you "opt-out" of promo offers, your name doesn't come up on these fishing expeditions (the promo pulls.) If you're a customer though, they have the right to see your full reports, but they (usually) use a soft pull to do so so that you don't get an inq.

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 19
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@way2evil wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

I like to know also....

I can see "soft pulls" from equifax.com account when I log in. I can't see "soft pulls" from myfico.com or transnion.com website.

When I checked my once a yr. free annual report from Experian, I am able to see "soft pulls" from them.

AFAIK, the only place that you can see softs is on your full reports, like those that you mention. The TU credit monitoring service reports aren't full reports, and neither are the myfico.com reports.

As for what they can see, there are two (basically) different kinds. If you're already a customer of a lender, they see your entire credit report when they soft you using an "account review" or "account maintenance" prefix.

If this is how it works why do some places require a hard pull for a CLI?

Meanness?  Smiley Very Happy

Some lenders, notably Chase, consider a request for a CLI as seeking credit. Well, OK, sort of, but IMO it's not seeking new credit, as in trying to open a new line of credit.

But since it's not my opinion or yours that matters, but the lenders, we're stuck with how they choose to code the inquiry.

That's one of the useful features of forums like this: we can get a halfway-decent idea of who hards and who doesn't.

--I do think that I've read about lenders who do softs for the first several requests, but if you keep pushing and pushing, they'll hard you. Sort of an "enough already" attitude, I suppose, which I can understand.

Thanks for the response, Hauling.

Is that your cat on the picture you have?

I'm probably nuts, but my own viewpoint and the way I'm going to do things is, any CLI will come from the lender, I will not request one. The ones that prove to be the best for me to work with are the ones who will keep me as a customer; the ones who aren't, will go by the wayside as I get better companies to deal with. That's in theory what the system is all about, and they use it to their advantage and so should we. I have more than sufficient credit as it is, but a little "luv" now and then just says hey we value your business. Those who don't, get replaced, just like as an employee if I don't produce for my employer, I get replaced by someone who will.

Just my philosophy on it. I'm not holding my breath on Cap One in terms of CLI. The funny thing is, when I last spoke with one of their reps (yeah I know, I know...) he said that after 6 months the card would get a CLI assuming I took care of it. It will be another 4 months before that happens but I will report back on what happens as it's one of their "primes" and a lot of people on here are curious how they deal with those (my gut feeling tells me not much different than their subprimes but we will see).

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 16 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I have had banks tell me that they HAVE to pull a hard for a CLI, because a SOFT pull will NOT give them my entire credit report. More than one has told me that. I don't believe there is any truth to it, but that's what they say. Smiley Frustrated

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 17 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@addicted_to_credit wrote:

What exactly do the various creditors see when they do a soft pull on our credit reports? 

They can see your entire report, it only does not count as a HP.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

And I have to ask the "dumb" question - how do we see who "softed" us?

Thanks -

Ray

Through various CMS from either EX, EQ, or TU. EQ will show in their site if your subscribed. There is a backdoor method to see EX softs when subscribed, and TU will show them but you have to get to their dispute page.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.