Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some help on which card to apply for?

tag
matchu
Valued Member

Some help on which card to apply for?

Hi FICO friends! 

So I've been doing very well (with the help of this forum) and I'm going to be applying for my first prime card soon. I've narrowed it down to Discover IT or Chase Freedom and I was just wondering which you all think I would have a better shot of getting approved at. 

Here's a quick rundown:

Bankruptcy discharged in 2008. 

AA is 5.5 years.

Utilization is 20%.

TU is 701. EX is 721. EQ is 628 (Has an error that I've been fighting to get removed, and in the process got updated to look like an even more recent error!) 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Some help on which card to apply for?

@matchu wrote:

Hi FICO friends! 

So I've been doing very well (with the help of this forum) and I'm going to be applying for my first prime card soon. I've narrowed it down to Discover IT or Chase Freedom and I was just wondering which you all think I would have a better shot of getting approved at. 

Here's a quick rundown:

AA is 5.5 years.

Utilization is 20%.

TU is 701. EX is 721. EQ is 628 (Has an error that I've been fighting to get removed, and in the process got updated to look a an even more recent error!) 

Thanks! 

AFAIK, neither are BK friendly, although people have been approved for both with BK reporting; I think it's more common with Chase.  I would suggest going for Chase simply because you can recon them until they say yes.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 10
mirachi
Regular Contributor

Have you checked either site for prequals? Maybe you can app based on that?

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 3 of 10
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Did you burn either bank in your BK? That will also affect if they approve you.

Message 4 of 10
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

Did you burn either bank in your BK? That will also affect if they approve you.

+1 on this ^^^^^

But I would go for Chase first in case you need to do a recon.  A recon with Discover is damn near impossible.  

And here is a data point for you.  I was discharged in 2012 and Discover approved me in 2012 for $1K and Chase approved me in 2013 for $5K.  Discover did not give me an increase until last month no matter what I did as far as spending patterns.  I would PIF some months, carry a small balance sometimes, carry a big balance sometimes, etc., but it just didn't matter.  They were not giving up any CLI's for me.  As a matter of fact, the CLI has never been available to me.

Chase I had to recon.  I called back twice and thank goodness I did because I found a sympathetic ear so I was approved.  I have received no CLI's with Chase either, but that's not a problem because they started me with a good CL.

Also I did include an account in BK that was owned by Chase and that was definitely brought up in the conversation, but perhaps because the amount wasn't earth shattering the analyst just let it go.

So if I had it to do over, I would app for Chase first, get that reporting for a few months and then go for the Discover to possibly get a higher starting limit.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 5 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Discover is bk friendly if it's older... if you get pre-qual on website I think you are okay.

chase if they were not in your bk might be okay on a recon.

Message 6 of 10
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@matchu wrote:

Hi FICO friends! 

Here's a quick rundown:

AA is 5.5 years.

Utilization is 20%.

TU is 701. EX is 721. EQ is 628 (Has an error that I've been fighting to get removed, and in the process got updated to look a an even more recent error!) 

Thanks! 

Just go for both....I have both....open up 2 browsers, fill out both apps, and hit submit on one, and 1 second later hit the other submit on the other.....

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 7 of 10
matchu
Valued Member

I did have a Chase in my bankruptcy. But all of my IIB accounts have fallen off of my reports! Will Chase still be able to tell? I just really want one good rewards card from a prime lender. 

Message 8 of 10
matchu
Valued Member

I did check both sites for preapprovals, and it was a negative on both. But I don't see how or why they would deny me, other than my bankruptcy. 

Message 9 of 10
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@matchu wrote:

I did have a Chase in my bankruptcy. But all of my IIB accounts have fallen off of my reports! Will Chase still be able to tell? I just really want one good rewards card from a prime lender. 

Chase will tell as soon as you put in you social security # ........they have you still in their system. If I were you, looking at your TU score, I would get a Barclay Rewards Mc....Barclay will pull your TU report, and it's a great card

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.