Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some interesting discoveries about BCP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some interesting discoveries about BCP

I was checking what Plan options I got offered for another thread and noticed that AMEX told me how much I earned on each transaction. 

All of my App Store transactions coded as Streaming Services and my Prime Now grocery delivery didn't code as grocery, contrary to what I was told. 

5EA9F2DE-7A4B-4B31-9835-0E8390B51BD4.jpeg

86271BB3-12E1-453C-8178-82AB91714498.jpeg

Basically all of my entertainment budget goes into the App Store so as long as these purchases keep coding this way, this card actually will easily go past the breakeven point for me which could tempt me to keep it but it's definitely a bummer that Prime grocery delivery won't be covered. Now that it's free, it's a service I can see myself using during the winter like if tomorrow was today and my personal care canceled because of the 6-12" of snow we are slated to get. I am glad that I looked because now I know to use my Amazon Store Card so I get 5% on those. 

And yes, that Prime Now order was nothing but groceries. It was actually a Prime Fresh order. 

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Some interesting discoveries about BCP

I was happy to see that GooglePlay also codes as 6% regardless of what I throw on there.

Between groceries (mine does code at 6%, but it's a regular supermarket), and the streaming, I'm really happy with this card (my audible habit is also helping).

Oh, and my wine runs are all at grocery stores, so it's also my go-to wine card (unless it's something I can only get at TotalWine).   6% off on my Aldi Wine Advent calendars?  Thanks BCP!  lol

Sorry to hear about Amazon Grocery/Fresh not coding that way, for you, though.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I do the majority of my shopping at King Soopers and those DO code as grocery. The Amazon Fresh order was just because we had a snow storm so my personal care canceled and it just so happened that was right after Amazon sent me the email telling me Fresh was no longer $15 a month so I went for it. It's not something I would do very often and thinking about it, it's better to use my Amazon Store Card anyway because that is 5% no matter what while the BCP is 4.4% if you cap the $6K and goes down from there. 

The App Store thing is a bit of a game changer for me though. I spend at least $50 a month on the App Store. Often it's significantly more (there's about $400 on this BCP statement and I have another $56 on my Apple Card right now) since the App Store is basically my entire entertainment budget which would make this card totally worth keeping versus my 3% Apple Card and Marvel options. 

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@calyx wrote:

I was happy to see that GooglePlay also codes as 6% regardless of what I throw on there.

Between groceries (mine does code at 6%, but it's a regular supermarket), and the streaming, I'm really happy with this card (my audible habit is also helping).

Oh, and my wine runs are all at grocery stores, so it's also my go-to wine card (unless it's something I can only get at TotalWine).   6% off on my Aldi Wine Advent calendars?  Thanks BCP!  lol

Sorry to hear about Amazon Grocery/Fresh not coding that way, for you, though.

That is part of why I didn't get the BCP. My AR is now my go to for the liquor runs though. Really cashing in on the limited release season..

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

BCP is no go for Walmart superstore too.
Message 5 of 34
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Im actually lucky Birdman in that my local walmart is a "neighborhood" variation rather than the full store so it deals only in food and basic needs "soap and paper towels an such" and it does code as 6% on my BCP. I might just be getting lucky though
Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 6 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Wrigley2172 wrote:
Im actually lucky Birdman in that my local walmart is a "neighborhood" variation rather than the full store so it deals only in food and basic needs "soap and paper towels an such" and it does code as 6% on my BCP. I might just be getting lucky though

Probably not luck!  It's pretty common that neighborhood ones DO code as grocery and superstores don't.   (However, there have been reports of variation even at the department level if you have places where you can pay.   But a good general rule)

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really?? neighborhood codes as grocery for BCE?

Cuz superstore does on Visa/MC.
Message 8 of 34
shoegal
Valued Contributor

That's really weird that it didn't work for you, Saeren! Mine always does just like the one below.32EF6FA2-E58D-49C4-BBA1-E11AC89307ED.jpeg

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shoegal wrote:

That's really weird that it didn't work for you, Saeren! Mine always does just like the one below.32EF6FA2-E58D-49C4-BBA1-E11AC89307ED.jpeg

Maybe its a recent change? I'm not that worried enough to ask them to investigate such a small loss of rewards to be honest.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.