cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some of you have high scores and credit limits. What gives?

tag
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Some of you have high scores and credit limits. What gives?

I know some of you were always credit responsible but, how old were you all when you got 700 club scores and over 5000 CL. Im about to turn 40 and some of you credit wiz kids blow my mind with your young ages and CL. I was told when I was young you couldnt get 700-750 scores until you had AAofA of 15 to 20 yrs. Due tell if its not to much.

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Some of you have high scores and credit limits. What gives?

oldest card is 40 months old...  and I have had a 720, Others have had  800's with 5-6years AAoA, its the baddies that do the most damage.... 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 27
Crashem
Valued Contributor

You can get to 700 club with a year of AAoA.  If you use AUs and the right card issuers, you can get to the 5k limit fairly quick.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@luckelle wrote:

I know some of you were always credit responsible but, how old were you all when you got 700 club scores and over 5000 CL. Im about to turn 40 and some of you credit wiz kids blow my mind with your young ages and CL. I was told when I was young you couldnt get 700-750 scores until you had AAofA of 15 to 20 yrs. Due tell if its not to much.

Unfortunately either you're working on outdated information, or it was never right to begin with.

FICO score is only one piece of the puzzle, but if a student (as an example) goes out and gets 2 credit cards, and never misses nor is late with a payment, in a year they'll be over 700 by a non-trivial amount (the most "ridiculous" I saw was around a 740).

The thing is though, they're still near thin files with that, and good luck qualifying for a car loan with 0 down among other things, but that's how FICO is setup... it's also why most lenders outside of some credit cards check more than FICO always... and even auto-approvals aren't simply hitting a magic number and here you go!  It still takes length of history, thickness of file, and a bunch of other things into consideration.

        
Message 4 of 27
luckelle
Regular Contributor

If you please given my scores and cards listed below what major card would you go after and at what score would you go after it. the plan is to get a card that grows fairly well with my scores. I dont care about rewards etc. just CL right know. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 5 of 27
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

My highest CL was 4k when I was 19 and 10k when I was 21.

I could have gotten there sooner but I really wanted to do it on my own. I've always had good credit, and have been 700+ since I was 19-20.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@luckelle wrote:

If you please given my scores and cards listed below what major card would you go after and at what score would you go after it. the plan is to get a card that grows fairly well with my scores. I dont care about rewards etc. just CL right know. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

I'd go for the Citi Forward or the Chase Freedom if I were you. Your TU and EX scores seem spot on with approval. I'm not sure if you have any past negatives, but if you don't have many, I believe you could get in. Worst case, you can recon and explain and get approval. As per your 1st post, I've only had credit for a little over 3 years (applied for 1st card when I was 18) and have a 737 EX (probably similar TU and EQ) with 2 "prime" cards (Citi Dividend - $10k, and Amex Zync - NPSL) and a Kohl's charge, a Dell preferred account and a paid off auto loan. All I did was charge what I could afford and pay accordingly. I also asked Citi for regular CLI's, so that is why I have good scores and high limits. Never miss a payment and you will be able to achieve a 700+ and higher limits, too.   

Message 7 of 27
Crashem
Valued Contributor

For cl, you want to go Amex and/or gemb cards for their cli policies.  They are friendly for growing cl.  For ge, want to go for one of their visa/mc cards.  

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 27
Smug
Established Contributor

2 years ago in nov. I was at 587 now about 720 in each,went from 1 500.00 cap one to 70k in cards today.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 9 of 27
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Besides the above, also take it all with a grain of salt. Some people enjoy lying about things, so you never know Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.