Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone used one of my department store cards

tag
babygirl
Established Member

Someone used one of my department store cards

I have a Macy's department store card that I got back in the 1995.  The last time I used it was in 1999.  Suddenly,   I got a new Macy's card in the mail.  Surprised my this I called Macy's.  I found out someone used my account in another state earlier this month including making a payment.  I verifed the last use before this was 1999.  I understand it was an in store purchase.   Macy has deactivated the card and requesed an audit on he account.  I am very scared by what this individual may know about my identity in order to activate this account. Does anyone one have any advise for me? 
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Someone used one of my department store cards

You need to file a police report NOW!!!! Call the police (non 911) number, and ask them if they will come to your house or must it wait to the morning. So many people forget this step in fighting identity theft- you MUST file a police report.

Let us know when you do/what the police say. PS- DH is a policeman so I know that this is an integral part of the dispute process.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

100% correct.

I would also consider Fraud Alerts-
1 phone call places it on all 3.

Equifax
Consumer Fraud Division
Phone: 800-525-6285

@Anonymous wrote:
You need to file a police report NOW!!!! Call the police (non 911) number, and ask them if they will come to your house or must it wait to the morning. So many people forget this step in fighting identity theft- you MUST file a police report.
Let us know when you do/what the police say. PS- DH is a policeman so I know that this is an integral part of the dispute process.

Message 3 of 10
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

I'd be reluctant to put a fraud alert on your CB for the simple reason that, what thief do you know that pays for what they steal? They did make a payment right? I'm sure its a simple error in the system that mixed one number up or something. Putting a fraud alert on your accounts hurts your credit, so if you are not absolutely certain that your identity has been stolen, I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun. Monitor, and make sure that nothing new pops up and if it does, then consider the alert.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 4 of 10
babygirl
Established Member

I will take my time and investigate before posting a fraud alert. 

Yes, according to Macy's they made a $25 payment this month.  Currently the amount due is only $6.98.  Now that I'm calming down it does sounds like a possible numbers mixup/error.    I live in Massachusetts and these transactions took place in New Jersey.    Macy says their investigation will take up to 60 days to complete. 

I did pull another credit report.  I found nothing new on it, including no new activity on the Macy's acct.  Macy's has not posted any new info on my account in years. 

I always keep the FICO alerts set and will continue to monitor things very closely. 
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

cadavis0609 wrote:
I'd be reluctant to put a fraud alert on your CB
Putting a fraud alert on your accounts hurts your credit

Umm, no. An FA does NOT hurt your credit. At all. Period.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed-
I am on my Initial 90 on until October.

Free Credit report from Each too...

@Anonymous wrote:

@cadavis0609 wrote:
I'd be reluctant to put a fraud alert on your CB
Putting a fraud alert on your accounts hurts your credit

Umm, no. An FA does NOT hurt your credit. At all. Period.

Message 7 of 10
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

I appologize, I was under the impression that lenders don't like to see fraud alert on your accounts.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cadavis0609 wrote:
I appologize, I was under the impression that lenders don't like to see fraud alert on your accounts.

If lenders over extend credit to you it might scare them in to pulling back credit was my thinking to protect them selves from fraud if they know it's happening. But I have never heard of an FA doing this! It can make it more difficult to get new accounts "sometimes" if a lender doesn't feel like making the effort to call you to verify.

Actually I hope this was an error on the credit card company. The fact that they are paying the bills scares me a lot! If this is the case. Probably an error on the CCC and not your account. If inactive for so long they may have "Reused/Recycled your account number". There is another type of identity theft where they build up a history using your name not to make money from your credit but to generate a long history of bills to their address to show they are receiving mail as you. Not to get money. Then they use your name to receive bigger packages that were bought with other peoples stolen credit cards. It's a much bigger scam. I really hope this is not the case. But your in luck! A simple F/A should put it to rest. An ID thief won't want to keep using your name if there is a fraud alert. It makes this address dangerous to them because it is more so unusable in the future. A FA would give away their scam. They stop and switch to another name. Smiley Happy I would put an FA on right away. Double check with the CCC to see if they didn't recycle the CC number. It could also be just a simple mistake. But if not a mistake I would also consider a police report so if any thing happens later with your name it won't come back to you. But the FA will stop them in their tracks if an ID thief knows that you know. Smiley Happy Good luck.

My ID thief hasn't done anything with my info. Mine was taking mail from my mail box. Only a group of people has access to the mail box, so after it was reported, all people were notified that had access and it stopped. It's creepy, because I don't know exactly who it is, but they have credit reports, bank statements, debit cards(canceled), credit cards(canceled), and all other personal info on me. But they know I know and it will lead back to them if used. I watch my credit like a hawk now.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My ID thief hasn't done anything with my info. Mine was taking mail from my mail box. Only a group of people has access to the mail box, so after it was reported, all people were notified that had access and it stopped. It's creepy, because I don't know exactly who it is, but they have credit reports, bank statements, debit cards(canceled), credit cards(canceled), and all other personal info on me. But they know I know and it will lead back to them if used. I watch my credit like a hawk now.

Ugh- people like this are low. Lowest of the low. Doesn't it break your heart that there are such thieves in the world? And it makes it worse knowing that it is someone you know.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.