cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Son got "Capital One Platinum MC prepared for" UPDATE!!!

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Son got "Capital One Platinum MC prepared for" UPDATE!!!

Is this a pre-approved offer?  Anyone get one and have it denied? I added him as AU's on my two CapOne accounts about 3 months ago. both cards have no lates or anything, oldest is 40months usually 0-10% UTL 2k CL.  The second card 15 months old $750 0 balance. Before they wouldn't give him an unsecured card.  Only thing on his credit is a small medical collection. No cards or loans. 

Income is about 10k,  Lives at home. 

He App'd today, Approved for $500 CL not bad for his first card. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Son got "Capital One Platinum MC prepared for"

@jamesdwi wrote:

Is this a pre-approved offer?  Anyone get one and have it denied? I added him as AU's on my two CapOne accounts about 3 months ago. both cards have no lates or anything, oldest is 40months usually 0-10% UTL 2k CL.  The second card 15 months old $750 0 balance. Before they wouldn't give him an unsecured card.  Only thing on his credit is a small medical collection. No cards or loans. 

Its a YMMV thing, I would say try it and see what happens.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
nicholasc77
Valued Member

Yes pull the trigger the pre -approved always work and do it apply for him he needs a card keep me posted do it online now

@jamesdwi wrote:

Message 3 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@nicholasc77 wrote:

Yes pull the trigger the pre -approved always work and do it apply for him he needs a card keep me posted do it online now

@jamesdwi wrote:

Smiley Surprised

hold your horses there!!! Smiley Very Happy

Pre-approval doesn't always work but its a good indicator.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 10
Cranski
Valued Member

Agreed, there is plenty of information to show that they are just mass mailing from purchased consumer information.

I would guess one could check their reports and see if Cap1 soft hit their report. If so is there any derogatory information that might show up with a hard pull, that would give the an idea on approval chances...

CS 701, CK 682, Credit.com 719/ TU FICO 666 (DIS 8/12) EU FICO 658 (8/12)
After spree CS 738, CK 684, TU FICO 666 (Dis 8/5)

WF Secured 600Cl (7/11), Discover More 1.5k (8/12), Walmart 150CL(8/12), Cap1 Platinum w/Credit steps($300) (8/12)
Message 5 of 10
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

I agree with LS2982. Pre-approval doesnt always work. I personally know of someone whom get them pre-approvals  monthly and has applied for 3 of the last 6 pre-approvals and deined each time.

Message 6 of 10
Cranski
Valued Member

After the 45 day period hopefully. You're friend should know why he got denied the first time, and if it was fixed or not. You know people judge you by who you associate with >_>

CS 701, CK 682, Credit.com 719/ TU FICO 666 (DIS 8/12) EU FICO 658 (8/12)
After spree CS 738, CK 684, TU FICO 666 (Dis 8/5)

WF Secured 600Cl (7/11), Discover More 1.5k (8/12), Walmart 150CL(8/12), Cap1 Platinum w/Credit steps($300) (8/12)
Message 7 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I got an offer just like this in the mail from them after they denied me for the cap1 secured. It was the plat mc but with no af for life, i had no credit history, and they accepted me for 3k then pc'd me to cash rewards no af, so it is definitely worth a try.

Good luck!
Message 8 of 10
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Im jelly ive never received any card offers in my life....
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I say SKIP - While you can do pre-approvals online and I have not personally see those get declined when friends have done it, does he have any of his own credit? or just your 2 AU Cap1?

How old is he?

I probably would look into Zync if he has over 6 months of history on a card of his own

Citi Forward

Lately LOTS of talk on Amazon Visa (Chase) actually even lots of chatter with no credit.

You have Chase for long time and actually a higher $2k limit but still I would think after all this time you coudl be much higher with other banks... I just really hate Cap1 but at least they are finally all coming to one unified answer "We know we are not even on the boat anymore of taking our cardholders into primeville when they raise credit from 500's to 800's! we will just let you close your account and go with other banks.... I mean the CEO should be fired if he/she thinks this is how you build a good reputation.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.