cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Son wants cash for Christmas- How to benefit from a rewards/travel card standpoint

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Son wants cash for Christmas- How to benefit from a rewards/travel card standpoint

Long story short, my oldest wants cash for Christmas.  Which is fine.  I'm wondering if I could use my cards to do so without getting penalized?  

Trying to meet spend with Chase Saphhire Reserve (almost there $3000/4000) and amex Platinum Delta skymiles..0/3000) 

Just looking for suggestions.  

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Son wants cash for Christmas- How to benefit from a rewards/travel card standpoint

@Anonymous wrote:

Long story short, my oldest wants cash for Christmas.  Which is fine.  I'm wondering if I could use my cards to do so without getting penalized?  

Trying to meet spend with Chase Saphhire Reserve (almost there $3000/4000) and amex Platinum Delta skymiles..0/3000) 

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if it counts towards the spend but you could get him an Amex gift card. There is a code around that waives the gift card fees. I know it is not the same but as far as  know cash advances do not count towards bonus.

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Son wants cash for Christmas- How to benefit from a rewards/travel card standpoint

IME Amex gift cards do count towards the spending bonus. 

Message 3 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Others have already mentioned the gift card option, and I'm actually a big fan of buying GCs for myself (since you can earn cash back as well as many times find them at a discount).

That being said, if your son has asked for cash (and assuming you want to honor his request) there's no real way to 'leverage' that particular gift, at least that I can think of.

Message 4 of 30
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Can always get some spend towards that remaining $4K by using the card in the grocery store for a V/MC/AMEX GC that spends like cash.  Typically if you go through the grocer website there's usually some promo's to waive the fee on the card purchase.

Message 5 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Nah, just give him the green stuff.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 30
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

Can always get some spend towards that remaining $4K by using the card in the grocery store for a V/MC/AMEX GC that spends like cash.  Typically if you go through the grocer website there's usually some promo's to waive the fee on the card purchase.

If you consider gift cards, places like Sams Club and Cosco will offer some good deals on them. Something like $45 for a $50 gift card to one of many different places. 

Message 7 of 30
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

True if you want something store specific Kroger offers tons of $4o for a $50 card.  If you were redeeming Discover there's a ton on there that are about 30% discount off face value depending on the catagory.  There's some trvael related ones that are even 50%.

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

JRe: Son wants cash for Christmas- How to benefit from a rewards/travel card standpoint

I'm not going to pretend I know how this service works, but would Plastiq allow you to send a payment to an individual? From what I understand, they basically just send a cheque if the "biller" doesn't accept electronic payments. Maybe someone who's used the service could chime in?

Message 9 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: JRe: Son wants cash for Christmas- How to benefit from a rewards/travel card standpoint

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not going to pretend I know how this service works, but would Plastiq allow you to send a payment to an individual? From what I understand, they basically just send a cheque if the "biller" doesn't accept electronic payments. Maybe someone who's used the service could chime in?

No, only individuals with whom you have business, such as a landlord, etc.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.