Did you mean: 

Sony Card Revamp

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sony Card Revamp

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If this was Sony from the 90s, I'd be all over these cards.

Why not now? They still make the best TVs. Their 950G is stomping even the OLEDs. If you're a gamer, you can't deny the popularity of the PS4 even if you're an Xbox fanboy.

950G is a buggy mess. Lots of complaints about it on /r/bravia. 

Sony has been making a lot of mistakes lately. My X900F is still on Nougat because they have had like 4 Oreo releases now and things are still broken, with lots of reports of the TV rebooting or turning off and having to be unplugged and plugged back in. 

If Sony doesn’t get their act together, I’ll get my first non-Sony since 2009 next year. 

I am a Sony fanboy too. They’re literally the brand I’ve been most loyal to since I was a kid - everything from my stereo, CD player, headphones (except when I was DJing, I had Technics headphones for that), even had a few Sony Ericsson phones, PlayStation > Xbox, TVs, etc. The issues I have had with my last two Bravias and everything I am reading about the new G models... It may be time to look at LG again. My old LG smart TV is still working perfectly over 10 years later when I have been through 3 Sony TVs in that time. 

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I am curious to see how the new program shakes out. If they get rid of the cumbersome bonus point process it may be worthwhile for people. 

Message 21 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous @Anonymous 

Based on 14 years of install and repair experience. If you want a tv with the least problems, get an LG. If you want one with the best picture quality, get a Sony. If you like throwing your money away, buy a Samsung with an extended warranty.

The buggy software happens to them all. It's the price we pay for allowing these companies to sell us unfinished products that can be updated over the internet. Sony's mainboards are the problem, not the software. But, they all have mainboard issues. 

Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous @Anonymous 

Based on 14 years of install and repair experience. If you want a tv with the least problems, get an LG. If you want one with the best picture quality, get a Sony. If you like throwing your money away, buy a Samsung with an extended warranty.

The buggy software happens to them all. It's the price we pay for allowing these companies to sell us unfinished products that can be updated over the internet. Sony's mainboards are the problem, not the software. But, they all have mainboard issues. 

Yeah I use my TV as a dumb terminal for the most part. I have a Shield hooked up to it for the media consumption needs. The only thing it can’t do is Dolby Vision but Sony messed up the Dolby Vision profile on these TVs anyway, it’s incredibly dark. That’s one of the things that made me want Oreo is they actually fixed the DV profile but all the issues from them using the same kernel they have used since Marshmallow means I’ll just keep it how it is. 

The only thing that appeals to me about Samsung’s TVs is that they can do motion interpolation in game mode without introducing additional input lag. I’m very sensitive to frame stutter on these fast response time TVs and it’s very noticeable with console games that have 30FPS targets so that would be useful for me. 

I will see what hits the market next year. Knowing how much of a fanboy I am, I’ll probably end up with another Sony anyway. 

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.