Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Visa card (capital one) transitioning to Comenity in November

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Sony Visa card (capital one) transitioning to Comenity in November

@Anonymous wrote:

if they make a GOOD card for getting discounts on ps4 games, i'd be interested. i get most games from bestbuy or gamestop but if it's a big discount at the sony onlinestore i'd go for it. the last sale that sony did i bought a ton of the digital-only games. its convenient that you don't have to swap discs but on the other hand, now you can't resell them or give them away to your family.

I hear that all the time. Ironically, Microsoft had set up a digital swap meet where you could buy, sell, trade and gift digital games. It was squashed when everyone lost their minds about the console needing to always be connected to the internet. The ironic part is, fast forward 5 years and everything requires an internet connection to work now. Smart homes and things you can command with your voice are demanded. But, people thought the Kinect was a stupid idea....

Message 21 of 67
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

Interesting development. I've got a $10K limit at a decent APR. If Comenity services the card, that would probably mean a jump in the APR, but also an easier time with getting a CLI. We'll see if I keep this card. 

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 22 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just saw in the news today, the ps5 is going to have a voice controlled AI assistant built right in, and it will show you strategy guides for the game or gps style directions to items in the game you are looking for. apparently xbox already has integration with voice assistants, but it can't do this kind of thing.

Message 23 of 67
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

i just saw in the news today, the ps5 is going to have a voice controlled AI assistant built right in, and it will show you strategy guides for the game or gps style directions to items in the game you are looking for. apparently xbox already has integration with voice assistants, but it can't do this kind of thing.

You needed to use the Xbox smartglass app on a phone or tablet, but you could get similar things. I used it for dead rising when it came out. A link to what you could do:

https://deadrisingwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Xbox_Smartglass

You could also use the Snap feature to add a panel to the right side of your screen for anything including the internet. So, if you wanted a wiki or walkthrough, you could ask your Xbox to snap ign and search the site for walkthroughs, cheats, etc. What PlayStation is rumored to bring isn't new. It would just be more seamless, integrated, and smarter because Microsoft killed their versions due to people wanting a pure gaming device, not a smart, integrated device. Again, 5 years later, the gaming community has done a hypocritical 180 and is going gaga for features they could have had all this time. 

While I'm not a fanboy, and own all the consoles, it really ticks me off that we lost so much because people were so shortsighted. An example of how far back we've stepped is voice control on Netflix. When it was a thing on smart TVs and Roku, it was extremely limited. On the Xbox, back when it released in 2013, I could start my Xbox, launch Netflix, move through genres and my list, and launch a show, all by voice, not to mention the ability to control playback and jump through menus. Now, the best you get is you can launch Netflix by holding  down a button on your TV remote while talking to it.

Message 24 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I’m getting excited 😻

Message 25 of 67
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

if they make a GOOD card for getting discounts on ps4 games, i'd be interested. i get most games from bestbuy or gamestop but if it's a big discount at the sony onlinestore i'd go for it. the last sale that sony did i bought a ton of the digital-only games. its convenient that you don't have to swap discs but on the other hand, now you can't resell them or give them away to your family.

I hear that all the time. Ironically, Microsoft had set up a digital swap meet where you could buy, sell, trade and gift digital games. It was squashed when everyone lost their minds about the console needing to always be connected to the internet. The ironic part is, fast forward 5 years and everything requires an internet connection to work now. Smart homes and things you can command with your voice are demanded. But, people thought the Kinect was a stupid idea....

For me it was about data caps and not being able to digitially download games thanks to my ISP. Things are different now but back then downloading BF4 when it launched meant using a good chunk of the monthly data allotment. Five years ago I was all disc, now I have a harddrive for both my PS and Xbox to install games from the online stores

Message 26 of 67
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For me it was about data caps and not being able to digitially download games thanks to my ISP. Things are different now but back then downloading BF4 when it launched meant using a good chunk of the monthly data allotment. Five years ago I was all disc, now I have a harddrive for both my PS and Xbox to install games from the online stores

Yeah, I've basically gone all digital and that's what I use my PlayStation card for, so comenity better not screw it up. I have to sell a bunch of my hardcopy games. 

Message 27 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

all the digital games i got can't even fit onto my 1TB hdd, and if i get a new hdd it might as well be an ssd to cut down loading times. i can barely play witcher3, each time you die the loading time is 5mins+ so i'm hoping an ssd will fix it. expensive, but worth it if it works.

that's something they say theyre gonna fix on ps5. the ps5 should have an ssd or something like an optane cache booster right out of the box when you buy it.

i also just noticed sony opened a store where they sell physical copies of the games. maybe that will be part of the new creditcard rewards plan.

Message 28 of 67
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's no reason why a console needs to be connected to the internet 100% of the time other than M$ or whoever wanting to data mine you and further monitize you somehow.  If I have a hard copy of game and just want to play a single-player mode, why should I have to connect to the internet?

Now, practically, am I going to turn off the internet to play a game?  Of course not.  But what if I'm in an area where there is poor or no wired internet?   A lot of rural areas only have satellite internet available for anything with decent speed, and that is EXPENSIVE service.  

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 29 of 67
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Would consider keeping as 4 month CLI's and the best BT offers in the CC world imo if you use those are all.. 0% and 0 fees for 18 months.  Can you ask for much better?

I've had my Comenity cards for years and years.... I've only ever gotten a BT offer ONCE on my Sportsman's Guide card.  I'm trying to get off the BT merry go round, but its nice to have them!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 30 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.