Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sony card

I was looking at the Sony website again tonight to see if they were still offering the $150 credit on your first purchase. Last month their CC was through Chase financial, now it appears to be through GE money services. Anybody have any experience with GE?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Re: Sony card

GEMB will most likely pull EQ, if you have a BK I would not apply to the four year mark and unless you are above 700 you wont get a very good CL with them. They are sort of stingy in my opinion.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just looked at what their APR is. 23.99! Yes, thats the standard, not default. Are they for real? Last month Chase was offering an APR of 10.99.

Message 3 of 8
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Thats GEMB for ya! OUCH!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

moneyb wrote:

I just looked at what their APR is. 23.99! Yes, thats the standard, not default. Are they for real? Last month Chase was offering an APR of 10.99.

You're comparing apples and oranges.  The Chase card you're referring to is likely a bankcard, meaning it's a Visa or a MasterCard that you can use anywhere Visa or MasterCard are accepted.  The Sony card issued by GEMB is a store card.  Store cards are notorious for high APRs.  20+ is quite typical of store cards, regardless of who the issuer is.

Message 5 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

with gemb you never know the ebay card backed by gemb has that crazy high rate and it is a bank card and they wouldn't reduce (at least not for me) when every single other card gave me huge reductions.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

score_building wrote:

with gemb you never know the ebay card backed by gemb has that crazy high rate and it is a bank card and they wouldn't reduce (at least not for me) when every single other card gave me huge reductions.

According to the current eBay MC T&C, the rate goes as low as 12.24%.  Yes, it can go up to 21.24% too, but just the fact that it can get down that low at all for those with excellent credit is just an indication of the major difference between bank cards and store cards in that respect.  There are many, many store cards that don't go lower than 21 or so no matter how good the cardholder's credit is.

Message 7 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

thanks Cheddar, you're right but i wonder if anyone regardless of improvements in their cr has succesfully received a reduction by request on that card. sorry OP.to be a bit OT. 

i was aware of that difference but in dealing with cs i was under the impression that unless approved at the lower rate initially they were unable or unwilling to reduce it AT ALL even a couple of points regardless of improvements in my cr.  at that time all my other creditors had significantly reduced my apr at my request because they felt it warranted based on my cr but this is a Sony thread and i'm babbling.  

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.