Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speaking of recons

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Speaking of recons

I applied for a couple of Citi cards last week. Hilton HHonors (to add to my Hilton points) and The CIti Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa (might fly some American later this year). I don't really need the credit, I'm just collecting points for vacation. HHonors card approved instantly at $8,500 (my first Citi card). The AAdvantage got the 7-10 day screen. I tried calling for Citi recon (what a joke) so I fired off a letter to EO. No idea why declined and the CSR could not tell me either. Really? The letter covers all bases and explains all of my pulls on EX including what it was for, why I applied and what I am using the product for now. I included no lates, 3% UTL and rough amounts charged on cards with PIF. I am always upfront in a letter and tell them I want the AA card so I can earn the extra points for flying AA and using the card - otherwise I will take my business elsewhere. Who knows if it will work, I am 1 for 1 with recon letters at this point with a win on AMEX for Delta Reserve business. 

On Friday I got a wild hair to collect some attitudinal Hilton points in a unorthodox method. Bank of America was offering a good point haul for the Virgin Atlantic card. 20,000 miles on first purchase, then 25,000 more for $2,500 spend in 3 months and 5,000 points for adding an AU. Sure, why not. I have collected 17 HP on EX, why not make it another one for 50,000 miles that will transfer to Hilton at 1:2 for 100,000 points. Sure enough the 7-10 day message. I called application status number found in sticky thread and found out declined. Argghhhhhh I hate B of A. Tried calling in over weekend to credit analyst line - closed. 

Just called them a few minutes ago, they answer the line "credit analyst", cool! The person I spoke with told me the decline was based on too many inquiries (now 18 HP on EX). I asked if I could get the application reviewed or manually scored. No problem, sent me to senior analyst. Super helpful, asked me about my auto loan, my first credit card and why I have so much credit now vs. 10 years ago. DIscussed my self employment situation a bit but never spoke income or sales at all. I still have B of A account (although nearly empty now) and she asked why I moved so much money in last 8 months. I told them Chase stole me and to "step up with cards both business and personal - and stop declining me for auto loan that Chase approved instantly". Duly noted she said. 

I was ready to discuss all 18 HP and she said don't bother, you are approved with $10,000 limit. Well worth the call. I guess I can keep the account open to do online payments or should I send from my Chase account? 

So always recon and be prepared to explain everything in detail. When a call or two does not work write a letter. You spent the HP so you should get something for it even if it is just the experience in calling to find out why declined and discuss how to get it in the future. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Re: Speaking of recons

Nice job!!  Congrats!!! Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 2 of 9
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Awesome!!! and BIG Congrats!

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 3 of 9
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

Very nice.

I burned BofA back in 1991.  I applied in march 2012 and I called and spoke with credit dept.  I explained the past and talked her into giving me a 2k cli.  Fast forward to Octo 2012, aksed for CLI, took a HP, and called and got them to increase to 10k. 

Just applied(3-13-13) for Hawain Air BofA, and got approved for 5k, wanted the points.

It does pay to speak with reps, and tell them what your story is.

At least it worked for OP and worked for me.

All thanks to the Forum.

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS!!!

Out of curiosity, did you just sort of take control of the situation and explain to them what was going on?

Ime with a successful recon, that is how I did.

BOA was one of the first recons I ever tried and still got denied... but that was before I had any legit experience LOL... Thanks to this forum, I am more of a pro now! haha :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 9
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

CONGRATS!!!

Out of curiosity, did you just sort of take control of the situation and explain to them what was going on?

Ime with a successful recon, that is how I did.

BOA was one of the first recons I ever tried and still got denied... but that was before I had any legit experience LOL... Thanks to this forum, I am more of a pro now! haha :-)

@I'm self employed so almost every card is a recon. After a while you get accustomed to the call. Yes I try to guide the call but stop way short of being pushy or obnoxious. It's actually pretty simple to be the leader of a call, just anticipate what they want and bring it up first. All downhill from there once you get a few yes answers. I don't blow smoke up their @ or suck up to them, I just try to share my spirit about why the card is a perfect fit for me and how I will use it, then address the decline concerns directly. I know my reports like the back of my hand but still keep a recent print out in front of me with a pen for notes in case I need to call back again later. 

Also pay attention to their name. Write it down. Use it when addressing them at a couple of points during the call. "Well Jenny that's a great point, can I take a moment of your time to step thru the banks concerns item by item"? or "That's correct Jenny, I do value miles or points earned. I feel happy about earning them to save for a future vacation with the family". 

But the most important point is to make sure you actually qualify for the card before you apply. Is your credit score and report in line with others who have the card? How is you AAoA in comparison? Do you have a nice portfolio of cards to demonstrate the risks others have taken with you? Is your UTL really low or are you borderline? Is you annual income up to par? If you are real about it you are not convincing them of anything, just pointing out how great of a fit you are for the bank and the card. The rest is magic. 

Message 7 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Great job

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Nice sceneryguy! I always put forth the effort to address them by their names! Okay..point taken for future recon calls!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.